Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Monday, September 5, 2016

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #426 - Musical Monday for 1609.05

Martha & The Muffins, live at Spize – Farmingdale, N.Y. – May 3,1983
Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #426 - Musical Monday for 1609.05

Hi Mom,

All Eighties today in honor my good friend Helene Dunbar's Twitter campaign #80sforbeth. I am stealing a few of her tunes.

Not much text on this one today as I am two days late and in a hurry. In fact, I am skipping my usual labels as you can see song names on the videos.

But a few remarks. I got the idea to feature all '80s music as I have seen Helene making daily posts for this Twitter event she created. Not sure why she created exactly, but every day she posts a new song from the 1980s and shares it with her friend Beth, It's a fun daily activity and social media thrives on daily events.

I decided to feature some of Helene's picks when I saw her post this next song by Martha and the Muffins called "This is The Ice Age" from their album of the same name from 1981. It's a great album from a little known but wonderful band from Canada. I wanted to share their track "One Day in Paris" from the same album, but I did not find a You Tube video for it. However, in searching for a photo, I found the site featured in the next link and a free MP3 of a live performance. It's awesome, though for some reason I cannot add it to my iTunes. I can play it in iTunes, but I cannot add it to the library.

Helene was kind enough to point out that I introduced her to a lot of great music when we met in college. For instance, she heard the Jam for the first time in my car (see a Jam video to follow).

So, this is a BIG '80s fest, ending with one of the greatest and best known '80s tunes of all time: Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight."

Liesel shared the mock up of "Dancing in Street" with me, and it's worth a look. It's hilarious!

The song by Talking Heads is one of my favorites by the band. I cannot claim it's my single favorite as there's too many good ones to choose from, but it's top five for sure. I featured it in my senior avant garde theatre project and had some cool people create a dance for it.

I am not as well acquainted with either Tones on Tail or Split Enz, but they were Helene picks, and I do recall them being played in the 1980s.

Of course, I needed to add a song by Kate Bush, one by the Police, and the Eurythmics. Of course, I could add more as the 1980s has tons of great music. But this is a good sampler for today (and two days late). Enjoy, Mom. Thanks for listening.

Such a cool site, an mp3 of a live performance of Martha and the Muffins from 1983.


"This is the Ice Age" from 1981



"ECHO BEACH"




























+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

I miss you so very much, Mom.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 428 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1609.05 - 10:10

NOTE on time: When I post late, I had been posting at 7:10 a.m. because Google is on Pacific Time, and so this is really 10:10 EDT. However, it still shows up on the blog in Pacific time. So, I am going to start posting at 10:10 a.m. Pacific time, intending this to be 10:10 Eastern time. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom. But I am not going back and changing all the 7:10 a.m. times. But I will run this note for a while. Mom, you know that I am posting at 10:10 a.m. often because this is the time of your death.

No comments: