Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Sunday, December 18, 2016

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #530 - Lori and Dad - 1969

Lori and Dad - Christmas 1969
Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #530 - Lori and Dad - 1969 - Lori 4-5 Months - Photo Series One #13

Hi Mom,

This is not a great photo because it's blurry.

Or it is a great photo BECAUSE it's blurry.

This time of year always seems to happen in a blur.

For adults at least. As a kid, I thought the time crawled at glacial pace. But as an adult, there's never enough time, and time moves at such a fast pace that all is in a blur mode.

But there's a Christmas tree in the background, that's clear.

And there's love and family and joy.

Isn't that all that matters?

Today I attended to memorial for Finn Johnson, an 18 year old boy I knew who died unexpectedly on December 4th. I am close friends with his father, Bruce, but I knew Finn as well and played Ultimate both with and against him.

It's a loss that I have struggled to understand, already devoting three blog posts to the subject, though I will not re-post links here. You can find them if you wish by dialing back or using my category for Loss.

The loss here is not something I can understand. It's unfathomable, a description I like in metaphor because it's a deep loss, like the ocean, the fathoms, the unknown darkness, but also the light of a new day through the water at the surface.

I am reminded of something I just shared with my students. The Egyptians believed that when they died, Osiris would ask them two questions:

"Did you bring joy?"

and

"Did you find joy?"

Isn't that all that really matters?

https://leroywatson4.wordpress.com/2013/04/24/did-you-find-joy-ancient-egyptian-afterlife/

http://www.templestudy.com/2009/08/16/egyptian-questions-gate-heaven/


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

I miss you so very much, Mom.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 532 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1612.18 - 10:10

NOTE on time: When I post late, I had been posting at 7:10 a.m. because Google is on Pacific Time, and so this is really 10:10 EDT. However, it still shows up on the blog in Pacific time. So, I am going to start posting at 10:10 a.m. Pacific time, intending this to be 10:10 Eastern time. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom. But I am not going back and changing all the 7:10 a.m. times. But I will run this note for a while. Mom, you know that I am posting at 10:10 a.m. often because this is the time of your death.

No comments: