Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #740 - Princess RIP - 2003-2017

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #740 - Princess RIP - 2003-2017


Hi Mom,

I am sad to tell you that Princess has passed away.

Here's Lori's post from Facebook, which is probably better than anything I can create:




As Lori described, Princess stopped eating, which is surely a sign of active dying. This was your sign, too, Mom. You stopped eating in late June of 2015 to signal that you were entering your final days. Princess did the same thing and nearly at the same time as you did, two years later.



I thought I would be more sad about this. Instead I have been distracted by trying to find a picture from when we adopted Princess, of you, Mom, holding her, wearing your winter coat.

Dad did not want us to get a cat. But you wanted a cat, Mom, and since I was living with you and Dad, I promised to take care of her, which I did from 2003 through 2009, when I got married and moved out. Dad has taken care of Princess ever since, including the last two years since Mom died. I helped more from 2009-2011, while we were living in Richland and I was spending 2-3 days at your house, Mom, helping out, but the bulk of the care has fallen on Dad for eight years.

I thought I would have a difficult time with Princess' passing. After all, this is Mom's cat. In a sense, this is one last part of Mom, one living thing that existed because of her love. And, sure, I am sad. But I am not broken.

And maybe, I am all right because I have healed, because I have learned to live with my grief, that I have refused to let grief control me but have rather learned to control it. I have gone on; I have lived life.

I am sorry, Mom. I am sorry that Dad had to put down your cat, but this seemed to be what Princess was asking for. She stopped eating. She had been wasting away. She only weighed five pounds. That's astounding.

Princess never became the committed lap cat for you, Mom, that we hoped she would be. She loved you, but she was a bit stand offish in regards to you.

I wish you had both lived longer, Mom.

But I do accept the way things are, and in a sense, this is a very good thing.

Dad wanted to be out from under the burden of having care for Princess. He wants to be free to travel and do things, to not be tied down. He had asked me to find a way to adopt out Princess, which was going to be difficult given her age (born August 18, 2003), and her frail health. Plus she was needy, meowing constantly for treats and attention according to Dad.

None of us wanted to put her down simply to free Dad of this burden, so Princess chose to go like you did, Mom.

Rest in Peace, Princess. Thank you for bringing love and joy to Mom for her last 12 years.













+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

I miss you so very much, Mom.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 742 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1707.16: 10:10 (my time) 7:10 Google time

NOTE on time: When I post late, I had been posting at 7:10 a.m. because Google is on Pacific Time, and so this is really 10:10 EDT. However, it still shows up on the blog in Pacific time. So, I am going to start posting at 10:10 a.m. Pacific time, intending this to be 10:10 Eastern time. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom. But I am not going back and changing all the 7:10 a.m. times. But I will run this note for a while. Mom, you know that I am posting at 10:10 a.m. often because this is the time of your death.

No comments: