Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #919 - Interstellar Overdrive - the bookstore


Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #919 - Interstellar Overdrive - the bookstore

Hi Mom, So, I almost caused an accident when I spotted this bookstore.

I have been told to stop making comparisons between Michigan, even Kalamazoo, and Woodland or Vancouver or even Portland.

Well, Kalamazoo (in fact all of Michigan) does not have something like this: an all-science fiction bookstore!

I used to go off on my own during family trips to find such book stores or make special pilgrimages with friends, such as visiting The Stars Our Destination book store in Chicago, which no longer exists. I had to use the Internet to verify that I was not crazy and that I had visited this place in reality and not my dreams.

Just like Wax Trax, which I know I visited but had to check to make sure it no longer existed: Wiki, official.

Once, during a family trip to Washington DC, while in my teens, I went off on my own to find a SF-only bookstore and ended up in Murderville, Washington DC, something like 20 blocks from the store as that's as close as I could get on the Metro. I have made many journeys to reach such book stores.

So imagine how thrilled I was to find such a store only a few miles from my new home in Vancouver!

The store is actually named "Interstellar Overdrive" after the PINK FLOYD song from Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

I plan many excursions here. I like places with a little disarray.

The place is run by a married couple as seen in the photo. The store has a FACEBOOK PAGE.

I love the selection they have, and they passed my test of having books on the shelf by Edmund Cooper. I knew they would pass my test before I even looked. It's my test for the depth of the selection. I was told that they have 16,000 different titles (not copies, titles).

It's an excellent place.

I want to re-read A Wrinkle in Time, so I had them save a copy for me.

I am sure I will have more to report in future entries.




All classes are in session as of next week (I will have four, finally, for the first time since I moved), and the full intensity Grading Hell starts the following week.

So, in other news, I took some time during my "vacation" to go see the new Star Wars film, The Last Jedi.

I liked it.

I am not sure I fully understand the sully fan ruckus.

I will probably not produce a full review as there are so many other things I have wanted to write and have not, but here's some thoughts.

So yeah, not bad at all. I liked it. I saw it on IMAX with very few people in attendance, which was perfect.

It was long, but it never really dragged. I loved the Leia stuff. I loved that she used the Force. I expected her to die, though, so that was strange. Clearly she was supposed to be in the next film.
I like the Luke story. That was great stuff.
And Kylo Ren was not nearly as annoying as in The Force Awakens.
I could make quibbles, such as Laura Dern's character and her relationship with Leia not being well set up or explored, but at 2 1/2 hrs, that was maybe a sacrifice that was acceptable.

I love the new characters, especially Rose and Poe. I am excited for the next installment, even the in between young Han project directed by Ron Howard!



+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you, Mom.

I miss you so very much, Mom.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 921 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1801.10 - 10:10

NEW (written 1708.27) NOTE on time: I am now in the same time zone as Google! So, when I post at 10:10 a.m. PDT to coincide with the time of your death, Mom, I am now actually posting late, so it's really 1:10 p.m. EDT. But I will continue to use the time stamp of 10:10 a.m. to remember the time of your death, Mom. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom.

No comments: