Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #238 - Drinking More Coffee May Undo Liver Damage From Booze


Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #238 - Drinking More Coffee May Undo Liver Damage From Booze

COFFEE HELPS WARD OFF THE CREEP OF THE GREY.

Hi Mom,

We drink a lot of coffee in this house.

One of the first things I had to take over 16 years ago when you fell ill was making the coffee. This is something you always did for me and Dad. After you and Dad came home from the hospital, it was a shared duty. Sometimes Dad would make it, but I tried to do it most of the time. And then when I got married, it became my job. I like doing it. I make it the night before, and I use the same brand of maker (Krups) that you introduced to our family so long ago. How great to have a programmable coffee maker so coffee is ready first thing in the morning?

I need a certain amount of coffee in the morning to get going and clear the cobwebs and fog.

It's more needed now than ever before as Liesel and I are both fighting some virus thing and the coffee helps with the symptoms of whatever it is we're fighting.

As you did, Mom, I buy beans and grind my own coffee to make a pot each and every night for the next morning. The coffee maker is set for 5 a.m. but sometimes, when I get up even before then, I will shamble out to the kitchen and turn it on while I perform the usual morning meditations in the bathroom in the dark or the semi-dark as we have a nite-lite.

And good news!! This...

Drinking more coffee may undo liver damage from booze
By utilizing data from nine previously published studies that included more than 430,000 participants, researchers found drinking two additional cups of coffee a day decreased the risk of developing liver cirrhosis by 44 percent, Reuters reported from the journal Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics.

“Cirrhosis is potentially fatal and there is no cure as such,” said lead study author Dr. Oliver Kennedy of Southampton University in the UK, according to Reuters.

“Therefore, it is significant that the risk of developing cirrhosis may be reduced by consumption of coffee, a cheap, ubiquitous and well-tolerated beverage,” Kennedy added in an email to Reuters.
I colored one word especially as it's a word of the day that I give my students, and I like to collect instances of how these words are used in the world so that my students don't think I am some crazy old coot sharing out-of-use words dug out of dusty, moth-eaten dictionaries.


As you know, Mom, and as readers know as I mention him practically every week, I am a big fan of Warren Ellis. The picture up top comes from him. He's also a big fan of coffee. I wanted to share some of his comments on coffee, especially recommendations for really good stuff, and so I went to my gmail folder and did a search for the word "coffee" and it yielded 27 results going back to 2012. Apparently, Warren talks about coffee a lot.


So here's some coffee stuff via Warren (though not all 27 instances).

DEEP MILLS is a place in Suffolk, and they are passionate about coffee. And they ship...
Warren writes: "I meant to order some coffee from Berlin in January, and then totally forgot, and then my favoured local-ish roaster re-opened after their break, so now I have beans from DEEP MILLS, that most Lovecraftian-sounding of British coffee providers. I get no kickbacks from saying UK/Europe people should give them a try, but I really like them, so."


And another suggestion: OLD TOWN ROASTING.

In Cory Doctorow's book HOMELAND, his main character raved about cold roasting coffee, which I have meant to try and have failed to do, but perhaps I shall very soon (even today) as a way to try to haul us by our boot straps out of the doldrums of winter and the grey.

Cory lives at CRAPHOUND and is a founder and frequent contributor to BOING-BOING.

I have attempted to read all of Cory's books, but damn, he keeps writing. I have read several and recommend them all highly. A good place to start is with LITTLE BROTHER and HOMELAND.

Cory on making cold roast while traveling

By Cory also: I have journeyed to the soul of chocolate and I bring you good tidings

This Cheap, No-Mess Cold Brew System Offers a Hassle-Free Caffeine Fix

HOW TO MAKE AMAZING COLD BREW - inspired by Cory

Desperate Times Call for desperate measures - Diesel


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 240 days ago


- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1603.01 - 10:10 my time - 7:10 Blogger time

No comments: