Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Monday, March 7, 2016

The Daily Bowie #47 - "Fantastic Voyage"

Bowie and Eno- Lodger sessions - 1979
Remember it's true, loyalty is valuable

But our lives are valuable too

The Daily Bowie #47 - "Fantastic Voyage"

Unlike Moby, who has said in an interview that David Bowie's Lodger was his first David Bowie album and the only reason he too a job as a golf caddy so that he could afford to buy it.

I remember waiting a while to get Lodger but I must not have waited too long because I had the album by the Fall of 1981 after really falling in love with Bowie in the Fall of 1980. I wrote an essay about Bowie's music for my English class in the Fall of 1981, which I named "Yassassin," which I wrote some about here: THE DAILY BOWIE #8.

From the minute I heard the opening bars of "Fantastic Voyage," which is the first song on the album, I was captivated. It is one of my favorite Bowie songs: top ten for sure.

I also felt kinship with David. Fantastic Voyage was a great 1966 SF movie that I loved AND a cartoon in 1968, which Bowie surely knew when he named the song. For fun, I included the trailer from the 1966 film. And today there are two pictures, well, because.

And as investigations turn up new things, I see Adrian Belew of King Crimson plays on this album and this song. I believe I did know that but had forgotten.

"Fantastic Voyage" also has the distinction of being the last song David Bowie ever performed on stage in one of his own concerts.

Bowie said of the song: "I wanted to put some point of view forward that was in the narrative fashion. One feels constantly that so many things are out of our control, and it's this infuriating feeling that you don't want their depression ruling your life or dictating how you will wake up each morning."
Think about how these words by Bowie are still so very true today with the current political TV reality show consuming America.

DAVID BOWIE

"FANTASTIC VOYAGE"

LODGER

PUSHING AHEAD OF THE DAME: "FANTASTIC VOYAGE"

Lyrical interpretation from TEENAGE WILDLIFE

This is not the greatest video, but it is surely from one of Bowie's final concerts, if not the final concert, so best to share a live one...


"Fantastic Voyage" - LODGER - 1979





Fantastic Voyage - 1966



+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


"Fantastic Voyage" - LODGER - 1979

In the event that this fantastic voyage
Should turn to erosion and we never get old

Remember it's true, dignity is valuable
But our lives are valuable too

We're learning to live with somebody's depression
And I don't want to live with somebody's depression
We'll get by, I suppose

It's a very modern world but nobody's perfect
It's a moving world but that's no reason

To shoot some of those missiles
Think of us as fatherless scum, it won't be forgotten
'Cos we'll never say anything nice again, will we?

And the wrong words make you listen
In this criminal world

Remember it's true, loyalty is valuable
But our lives are valuable too

We're learning to live with somebody's depression
And I don't want to live with somebody's depression
We'll get by, I suppose

But any sudden movement, I've got to write it down
They wipe out an entire race and I've got to write it down

But I'm still getting educated but I've got to write it down
And it won't be forgotten
'Cos I'll never say anything nice again, how can I?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Rest in peace, David. We miss you.

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1603.07 - 8:59 my time/ 5:59 Blogger time

David Bowie with actress Sydney Rome Feb.15-1979
via The Evening Standard

No comments: