Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Monday, March 6, 2017

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #608 - Docta Foo - Musical Monday 1703.06



Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #608 - Musical Monday 1703.06

Hey Mom, And we're back and it's more stuff via Warren Ellis.

I already had this entry planned since February 26th, so it was just coincidence born of the fact that Warren sends a weekly newsletter on Sundays that yesterday's post also featured him and owes its content to him.

I love discovering new music, and last week, Warren shared comments by artist Afua Richardson, also known as Docta Foo, and she had this great playlist that I am also featuring here along with links to another playlist of hers and some of her art on her Tumblr.

There are also a few other Band Camp and Sound Cloud tracks that have been in the mix this week.

ENJOY.

http://doctafoo.tumblr.com/


So of course I made a playlist for this MUSICAL MONDAY FOR 1703.06.

But I see that Foo already has a different playlist that contains many of these tracks:

Docta Foo's Aquatic Soul/Jazz Mix


FROM ORBITAL OPERATIONS 1702.26


WE WORK WITH: Afua Richardson

AFUA RICHARDSON is an old friend of mine, and when I decided to expand the Three Questions format to cover more than just writers, I knew I had to talk to Foo. She's a brilliant artist, a singer and musician with an amazing voice, and one of the best humans I've ever met.  So I wanted to ask her a bit about how she works.
Because Afua is lovely, she includes YouTube links to her work soundtrack at the end for you to explore and enjoy.
1)  How do you capture visual thinking?  I'm a writer - I always have a notebook to hand.  Do you carry sketchbooks (what kind?), doodle on the phone - what are your tools for thinking on the go?
I can't leave my home with out carrying something to jot an idea down in. It depends on what kind of bag I'll carry. Small bags have Moleskine or some hardcover knock-off from Barnes and Noble. Medium bags have the perforated Master's Touch dry media 80 lb 130 g/m2 paper. It's smooth and I don't have to fight the medium to get my ideas out. I'll carry a few blue or red Prisma color "Col-erase" pencils so if I sketch something I like I can clean it up and keep my sketch underneath. Sometimes I like to see where my thoughts have traveled. Red lines and blue lines are less intrusive than grey. For works that are more serious, I'll use the Fabriano Hot Press water color paper. It feels more like Bristol 350 gsm. heavy stock. I had someone remark on its durability when they accidentally spilled coffee on it and not a single line was out of place. 
I keep so many sketchbooks and notebooks that they've become visual diaries of my life.  I can see who I was several years ago by opening a page. But , when there's something non-visual but it's describing a piece I want to deliberate on conceptually, I note it down in my Google Drive. I have folders and sheets for all kinds of thoughts. Character names I like, story arcs and notes about characters that I don't want to forget. I don't have a fancy smancy Android Note or iPad yet. But I have one in my sights. For now there is something warm and inviting about the texture of paper that I don't want to let go of. Digital sketches I have less affinity for and I tend not to keep.
2) What does a regular day look like for you?  What time do you get up, how do you break up the day, do you have a set amount of work (like writers have daily word counts) to get done in any given day?
I am an early afternoon person. I wake up around 10 or so, but it's dangerous to reason with me before I've had tea or coffee. I'll wash the crusts of the night off and jot down all the things I want to accomplish. Not just in the day, but in my life. I have a WANT, NEED, WISH FOR list I try to update everyday. I'll feed my 3 talkative cats so they won't bring me bits of squirrels and yard snakes out of starvation and if I don't plop down in front of the computer for 12 hours it's a better day than if I do. I am very bad about not working. Some part of me feels guilt for needing human things like food and sleep. I have to give up the fact that I am not a cyborg and eat eventually. I'll get out and walk a few miles and remember the world outside and I'm much more productive. These days, I've been playing the flute more. Writing by the local lake and walking through the abandoned golf courses that line my neighborhood. It makes me forget I live near other people. A small 5 mile loop of trees and hills and running into the occasional Owl or deer. It's revitalizing. I was a city girl most of my life. I didn't grow up seeing what kind of tapestries the earth can produce. Just man-made structures and organized bits of nature. I'll go and walk right after I write this, probably. And if I find a quiet corner, I'll play my flute a lil. It's rather bohemian, but it's something I did long ago to remind me of who I want to be. Less in my head and a little more in the moment. Otherwise I work until I pass out then get up and do it again. 
3) What part does music play in your work day?  (And what have you been listening to lately?)
If I don't listen to music, some part of me goes south. I make a playlist per project. Sometimes I’ll just have a list of my favorite things. Lately I’ve been making YouTube playlists of artist I find in a particular genre and name them all kinds of silly things. I'll sing along as If I'm a part of the music. A background singer. Like a hats off to my former life. You can find some of my list on YouTube: Docta Foo’s Funk Face Activated or Docta Foo’s Aquatic Soul and keep updating them on YouTube.
(NOTE FROM WARREN HERE: you can make public playlists on YouTube? I should do that one day!)
Top 15 songs on my work sound track list: (I swear it was much shorter and I just couldn't help myself.) Without music I wilt. No one song or even five can encompass my love for it. I just wish I were a better musician and I'd make it more. But same goes for art. I guess I'll just keep making things and enjoying the things others make until I'm happier or make other people happy too.


 Flying Lotus ft Thundercat and Kendrick Lamar ' Never catch me' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lXD0vv-ds8



 Heartbreaks + Setbacks Thundercat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngyk7CJbJyw&index=7&list=PLOQbKkmmS8Sfgc8Kqn87BP78k_AkkvsLb


Run The Jewels ' Run the Jewels' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfuCLp8VEng



Sufjan Stevens ' I want to be well' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO17WyaU2mE




Zoo Brazil ' Heart's a legend' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8WYNr9rpDg



Ravel - Daphnis et Chloé, Suite n°2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amGl9Qmgu7E



(Work in progress from Afua's tumblr.)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++



Some more interesting stuff, especially the Iona Fortune











+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

I miss you so very much, Mom.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 610 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1703.06 - 11:25


No comments: