Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #628 - Fantasy Baseball begins: Draft Day!

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #628 - Fantasy Baseball begins: Draft Day!

Hi Mom,

Today is draft day as three of the fantasy Baseball leagues I play, including the two main ones for which I serve as commissioner, are drafting today.

I love all the stat research and analysis. It's the most intellectual part of Baseball and one that I truly adore.

So, less work today and plenty of number crunching as I try to find the best way to win.

But really, no one wins on draft day. The Baseball season is 162 games long. One must put one's nose to the grind stone each and every day with setting line ups, and most importantly, evaluating if one is getting the best value from each of one's players.

As you can see from the image above, I had high ranks, if not was league leader, in many pitching categories, but my offensive numbers were down in the league shown above (the Fellowship of the Ring League).

So, as you can see below, I totaled what was needed to win the league last year, and then totaled the projections of the players I drafted this year. I plan to do the same with my other league, I just haven't done so yet. Plus, I failed the save last year's totals for the other league, the Tiger Towne League. So I can't really do the comparison.

As you can see, I am pretty close across the board. Usually I tank SBs, and with the new team my projection is much higher, so as long as I am a little more competitive in that category. I also noticed that I failed to calculate RBIs. My other league doesn't use RBIs, and so I thought this one did not either. But it does.

I exceeded the goal total with hits, doubles, and runs. It's with home runs and walks that I need to make up more ground. I did focus a lot on hitters who make contact in this draft at the expense of patience and walks. For instance, Tomas is projected to only walk about 29 times in 500 some At Bats, which AWFUL (17.7 walk rate), but he's projected to bang 143 hits and 27 home runs, AND he went late in the draft, so I figure it may balance.

Since it's my league that emphasizes the importance of OBP and walking, I want to win that category, but I may not win it this year.

Also, these stat projections assume that I get all the stats out of the players, and this is not accurate as the bench is included here, and the bench will not always be active.

But it's a good plan, I think, despite some of the mitigating factors.


As these next charts show, I took fourth last year in this league.

That's not bad, but I want to do better.

I won this league two years ago.

But as you can see, I ranked sixth or seventh (3 means seventh, 4 means sixth) in most of the offensive categories. I actually did better in walks last year than I expect to do this year (third place).




But as you can see it's not always dismal. I saved this image below from a week when I was winning in everything, though my standing in the Fellowship league was lower (sixth) than where I ended up (fourth), which means I fought my way up two slots from August 30th to September 30th. Not bad.


winning all 1608.13

Three fantasy drafts went well, though I closed out the final one as it started at 8 p.m. and apparently went past ten pm.

I am excited for the season both in fantasy and the actual major league games.

Let's Play Ball!!

PS: I know baseball is a common noun and not normally capitalized, but it's my religion, so I capitalize Baseball.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

I miss you so very much, Mom.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 630 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1703.26 - 10:10

NOTE on time: When I post late, I had been posting at 7:10 a.m. because Google is on Pacific Time, and so this is really 10:10 EDT. However, it still shows up on the blog in Pacific time. So, I am going to start posting at 10:10 a.m. Pacific time, intending this to be 10:10 Eastern time. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom. But I am not going back and changing all the 7:10 a.m. times. But I will run this note for a while. Mom, you know that I am posting at 10:10 a.m. often because this is the time of your death.

No comments: