Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Saturday, August 5, 2017

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #760 - Trailer tips - packing - backing up - driving




Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #760 - Trailer tips - packing - backing up - driving _ moving with a trailer

Hi Mom,

So, I just had my car serviced to ensure it will make the drive west with little to no incidents (fingers crossed).

I picked up the U-Haul trailer yesterday, and today, I am taking it for a "practice run" by carting the books I pictured in yesterday's blog entry -- Hey Mom #759 - Letting Go - the Books of Childhood -- to Better World Books in Goshen, Indiana aided by my good friends Tom "The Lord of Chaos" Meyers and his son Sam Meyers. Sam loaded and unloaded the trailer because I have hurt my back, and I am still babying it knowing there is a great deal of lifting yet to do.

It was good practice as I had to get better at backing the trailer into the driveway and then driving around with it attached to my car.

There's a herky-jerky effect with the trailer tongue and the trailer over bumps in the road in which the trailer drags the car back as the engine is thrusting the car forward and so there's a back and forth motion that's very disconcerting. At least, this is our theory for the herk and jerk.

Good bye library.



These U-Haul videos are kind of goofy, yet informative.

This blog shares some of my research to tow this two-axle U-Haul trailer (HEAVY!) behind my 2001 Subaru Legacy Outback.

I believe we were at maximum weight capacity as I estimated about 600 pounds of books here, which we unwisely loaded all in the front of the trailer, which may have increased the herky-jerky effect I described. For towers, (ha ha looks like my name, Tower but I mean those who tow, a tower),  the effect happens even when the trailer is empty, but the drag back is less powerful.

In our next practice run of taking stuff to my Dad's, which I will also photo document and post about, we will more evenly distribute the weight. But that's for Monday.

Tomorrow, there will be a load of stuff taken to Goodwill and delivering a rain barrel, which I may or may not photo document.

For readers other than you, Mom (Hi Mom), find here the U-Haul videos, two videos on backing up a trailer, and some weight data for my car and the trailer.

PRACTICE. I found the practice very necessary, especially when backing up. The trailer does not always behave as expected in reverse despite the excellent tips and instruction.

I will be practicing more tomorrow and Monday.

I am considering taking this two axle style trailer west, but I don't think I need it, and it's much heavier. So, I think I will keep the reservation for the single axle 4x8' trailer rather than this two axle 6x12 footer.

Happy moving!

https://www.uhaul.com/Tips/Towing/

















+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

I miss you so very much, Mom.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 762 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1708.05 - 10:10

NOTE on time: When I post late, I had been posting at 7:10 a.m. because Google is on Pacific Time, and so this is really 10:10 EDT. However, it still shows up on the blog in Pacific time. So, I am going to start posting at 10:10 a.m. Pacific time, intending this to be 10:10 Eastern time. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom. But I am not going back and changing all the 7:10 a.m. times. But I will run this note for a while. Mom, you know that I am posting at 10:10 a.m. often because this is the time of your death.
Better World Books - Goshen

No comments: