Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Friday, August 25, 2017

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #780 - Kalispel, MT - Trip West Day Five

south of Glacier National Park, Montana
Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #780 - Kalispel, MT - Trip West Day Five

Hi Mom,

We made it to Kalipsel. For a little while, it looked like we might not.

So far, in terms of unplanned and potentially disastrous events, we had to drive around Appleton, WI because of road construction and a wrong turn. We ran out of gas in rural North Dakota and narrowly averted a multiple hour ordeal because of the kindness of a stranger, and then in the mountains south of Glacier National Forest we stopped the car at a scenic turnout, and the care decided not to start back up right away. We had no phone service at all in that place. None. We could not make any phone calls. And then we almost locked the keys in the car, if not for my forethought in giving Dad a spare set.

It's like the car thought it was overheated even though the temperature gauge was normally. Maybe it was the elevation. We don't know. But just before I was going to try to flag down another good samaritan -- where was Dalton of West Salem, ND when we needed him again? -- the car started. It's running fine now. A real mystery.

I have been grading in the car at a furious pace. I finished the composition essays and started on the business documents when we had this curve ball and then I decided to just enjoy the scenery the rest of the way. We were only 40 or so miles from Kalispel when we had this incident.

Cut Bank, MT park and rest stop

We have been really lucky with parks and rest stops, especially when I cannot look them up on my phone. For instance, today, we stopped in Shelby, MT for a potty break and beverages, including a jug of water for the girls (the dogs), but there was no good place to let them out and give them a little run and a potty break. So I said, let's try the next town up route 2, which was another 10 miles or so. And then, here was this gorgeous park! This happened back in Minnesota. We pulled off the highway at Barnesville with no idea what was there but hoping there would be something good for the girls, and there was this gorgeous park with a huge pond. My Internet upload speed is slow here so I won't post more pictures. But our karma for good places to stop with the dogs has been very good.

Also, the dogs have been angels for the whole trip. Though Ellory just threw up in the hotel in Kalispel, so far, there have been no accidents at all in the room or the car. Not sure why Ellory threw up, but I will keep an eye on her as I have been all trip with both of them. The whole reason for this trip was to drive them across the country and avoid putting them on a plane. So far, it's been really great.

We have one more hotel tomorrow night before we reach my new home in Woodland, Washington and reunite our family.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

I miss you so very much, Mom.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 782 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1708.25 - 10:10

NOTE on time: When I post late, I had been posting at 7:10 a.m. because Google is on Pacific Time, and so this is really 10:10 EDT. However, it still shows up on the blog in Pacific time. So, I am going to start posting at 10:10 a.m. Pacific time, intending this to be 10:10 Eastern time. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom. But I am not going back and changing all the 7:10 a.m. times. But I will run this note for a while. Mom, you know that I am posting at 10:10 a.m. often because this is the time of your death.

No comments: