Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Thursday, February 25, 2021

A Sense of Doubt blog post #2200 - A letter to my 102 students, a dream about satchel, the crushing weight of stress in comic book form, and the story of Kwame Ajamu




A Sense of Doubt blog post #2200 - A letter to my 102 students, a dream about satchel, the crushing weight of stress in comic book form, and the story of Kwame Ajamu

Hi reader.

Today's post is a mile stone, number 2200, and I am going to celebrate that achievement with nothing all that special just the usual.

Here's today's announcement to my research writing 102 students.

It's pretty self explanatory. I will let it speak for itself.

But it did also include this image:







SUBJECT: ENG 102: HAVE YOU SIGNED UP FOR YOUR CONFERENCE?? And other important thoughts I am having

Greetings Writers,

So, I had this terrible dream in which Satchel had some kind of obstruction in her bowel. But as dreams go, it kept changing from bowel obstruction to breach birth to needing her bladder or something removed. You get the idea. I had to perform the surgery because there were no doctors around and NO TIME. I am on the phone with my wife, who is a medial professional, and she is trying to tell me what to do and warning me that I could kill Satchel with the anesthetic and not to use too much, which, of course, did not calm me down. Then I am looking at books and taking advice from other people who are there in some like penthouse over a shopping mall with geodesic roofs; I don’t know. Then I touch something not sterile with my gloves and have to strip them and get new gloves.





And during all of that anxiety-rich attempt to save my dog’s life, I wake up, and then I start thinking about all of you.





Maybe you wondered how I was going to bring this around to our class or if I was just wasting your time with another pointless story.

But, aha! I have a point.




I have been reading the early submitted projects. As of this morning, we’re at 23/34, which is not stellar given late penalties but more on that in a moment.

I have been reading and making notes and filling out the rubric but have not yet started audio files because I also have TWO SETS of 101 essays and a set of SHORT STORIES and today I get a batch of business research reports. All of which stresses me the %T%$$#@ out (I am sure you can relate with your own stresses) and makes me want to cancel my one planned work break to play D&D Saturday. I also have to roll up two characters for that.

ANYWAY...

I was really feeling the massive and crushing weight of stress. Kind of like this:



or this (and all these pages):







SO... what was I saying? The Q&A class session started and that derailed my thinking.

Oh right, AUDIO FILES.

Why am I planning to take the extra time to make audio files? That’s A LOT of time... an amount of time known as a F$#$ ton of time. You get the idea.

Isn’t that what the conference is for? If I unload all my thoughts in audio files, which can be as long as 30 minutes or more, then what do we talk about in the conference? Couldn’t I just say: listen to the audio file?

I know you are thinking I could say “skip the conferences,” but then I would have to actually hold the class periods on ZOOM, and I am not inclined to do that. Plus, I want to have CONVERSATIONS with all of you when I am hoping you will all be able to show me your joyful faces on camera so it feels like we exist together in reality.

So guess what?

I am sure you have guessed by now what I am trying to say (in writing not out loud).

I am not going to make audio files of feedback. That’s not a good use of my time or yours because you would be obliged to listen to it.

And now my stress levels have dropped significantly.

Still, this is true:



I am going to make this announcement today’s blog entry. That amuses me. I do that, you know. Reproduce content I make here, there.

After all, these cool book covers, like this one:





These cool book covers were the content of YESTERDAY’s blog post (address at the end of this announcement).

And I am waiting in the ZOOM CLASS ROOM. Thirty minutes seems like a long time to wait. No one had questions about the course policies or assignment requirements, but one student did ask about my confession of favorite cable news reporter, but he’s not my only favorite, not really. I actually have featured many of my favorites on my blog as you can imagine. I am a rather big fan of Abby Phillip.

Okay... thanks for reading.

Relax.

Do your best.

Don’t forget to breathe.

PLEASE BE BUSY.

IDEAS CAN CHANGE THE WORLD

In solidarity, safety, health, and wellness,
peace in our times,
-chris tower, LCC Lang&Lit faculty,
your friend in learning
#MaskUp! #It'sScience!!
#WritingIsRewriting
#LCCStrong #BlackLivesMatter #Don'tGiveUp
“Always look on the bright side”
"An open mind is a curious mind ready to learn!"

"There is no occasion for women to consider themselves subordinate or inferior to men."  
~ Mohandas K. (Mahatma) Gandhi

“If your world is night... shine your life like a light.”
~ The Indigo Girls
Images from -







+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2102.25 - 10:10

- Days ago = 2064 days ago




- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: