Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Saturday, February 26, 2022

A Sense of Doubt blog post #2565 - SNOW DAY! Reprint of SoD #233 from February 25th, 2016




A Sense of Doubt blog post #2565 - SNOW DAY! Reprint of SoD #233 from February 25th, 2016

In preparing this reprint, I was going to edit the conclusions I made from the photo, and so I again showed it to my Dad to discuss. The nuances of the house in the background, the exposed rock wall in front of us, the opening to the original front door (to Mom's right), the bush (that will be leafed out in the summer) behind us, the open space clearly seen in the upper right of the photo, all these indicators orient me in the neighborhood in which I grew up.

The photo is reversed as the reprint below explains.

So, a reprint from THIS DAY -- February 25th -- in 2016, the first year following Mom's death, since, as you can see, the numbering was not yet to 365, though there are pre-HEY MOM posts in that total.

Hi, welcome to the second post of the blog vacation.

Here we go...


Blog Vacation Two 2022 - Vacation II Post #02
I took a "Blog Vacation" in 2021 from August 31st to October 14th. I did not stop posting daily; I just put the blog in a low power rotation and mostly kept it off social media. Like that vacation, for this second blog vacation now in 2022, I am alternating between reprints, shares with little to no commentary, and THAT ONE THING, which is an image from the folder with a few thoughts scribbled along with it. I am alternating these three modes as long as the vacation lasts (not sure how long), pre-publishing the posts, and not always pushing them to social media.

Here's the collected Blog Vacation I from 2021:

Saturday, October 16, 2021


Thursday, February 25, 2016

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #233 - One photo; snow day!



Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #233 - One photo; snow day!


Hey Mom,

Guess what? SNOW DAY!!

I stared at this picture for a long time, as it took me a very long time to realize that it's backwards, like many of the slides my father has scanned. You will see it, too, Mom. This is the path Dad dug out to the front door (surely I helped some, but I am probably eight years old here, which would make this 1970 or very early 1971). That is the Owens house behind us, which, if looking at our house from the front is to the left, but the path, which would lead toward the garage would be to the right, which means, IPSO FACTO, that this picture is reversed (left and right are switched).

Maybe I am just tired, but it took me a long time to see that reversal.

Okay, so following up on yesterday's post, SNOW DAY!!!

I woke at my usual time and checked closings as soon as I got to my office. WESTERN MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY IS CLOSED!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Eclipse (who is the personification of chaos).

I needed a break and some extra time to get help on my computer program.

BTW, WMU's method for reporting snow days is AWFUL. I am pretty sure I signed up for alerts, and yet I received no alerts. And there was never a post on the university web site, the gowmu one we faculty and students use, about the snow day. I have always felt that the gowmu web site is one of the worst sites I have ever seen, and this is a new low for it's poor design and lack of usefulness when there's never a notification of the school being closed anywhere (at least no where clear and obvious) on the site. Given that I am learning to re-design and program things like this, WMU should hire me and my team to re-design gowmu and make it actually useful.

I tried to work on the program, but I was quite stuck. I did not know how to fix the previous null pointer error, and now I had a new one. So after I waited a bit so I was not texting at 6 a.m.. I texted my good friend and computer tutor, Colin MacCreery, to beg him to help me on a snow day, AND his birthday.

After a while, I was able to get a hold of him, and he agreed to meet me.

Since I was stuck on the program, and making no progress, I switched to work and banged out the Park discussion grades that I was supposed to do Tuesday. I also did daily work.

I met Colin at 1:30 at Bilbo's (BTW, their Internet sucks... FYI) . Within minutes, he had solved my null pointer exception errors, and so I enlisted his help finishing the rest, which was easy, and so we were done by four p.m. MEANWHILE, before I left, I emailed my TA and begged for one more day because of the campus being closed. Once I got home (after buying chicken feed). I checked my email, and the TA had granted me the extension through Friday, meaning I could watch some LOST with Liesel and go to bed. After one episode, she was "bored" with LOST, and so we tried to watch a Bergman film -- Through a Glass Darkly -- which was pretty tedious and kind of awful.

Then to bed, with plans to get up the next morning and finish my program and then try to do as much work as possible before going to Calculus, where I knew we would have a quiz.

But success! One of my strengths is interacting and building relationships with people as evidenced by how I managed this situation and succeeded.

Thanks for listening, Mom, and for your support, which means a lot.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.
Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.
Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
- Days ago = 235 days ago
- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1602.25 - 10:10

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2202.25 - 10:10

- Days ago = 2429 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: