Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Monday, November 27, 2023

A Sense of Doubt blog post #3205 - Thievery Corporation - The Outernational Sound album - Music Monday for 2311.27


A Sense of Doubt blog post #3205 - Thievery Corporation - The Outernational Sound album - Music Monday for 2311.27

Here's how this happens.

I had another post scheduled for today, but I did not make enough progress on it over the weekend.

And so, now, after a full day of work, tired, I just want a quickie, a post with minimal effort because I  MUST POST EVERY DAY. It's my calling; it's my charge.

Back in April, I re-made this post:

Monday, April 24, 2023

It was a post in which I linked a mix that collected all the Thievery Corporation albums. I re-made it from a 2021 post as many of the videos to the albums I added then had been removed from You Tube.

Well, now, just since April, EIGHT of the 14 videos in the mix (including one stand-alone song and the rest albums) have been removed from You Tube.

In other words, Thievery Corporation took them down off their own channel page!

I don't know why.

Meanwhile, because I play a lot of Thievery Corporation as I work in my office at school, You Tube shared this video of the The Outernational Sound album with me.

So, here it is, for both MUSIC MONDAY for today, November 27th, 2023, and also THAT ONE THING for today as well.

It's a GREAT album.

I will never forget one of my students from many years ago (20-ish) named ZAHKIA (great name and a great human) for introducing me to THIEVERY CORPORATION.

Thanks for tuning in.







Apr 25, 2018  #Downtempo #Electronic #FunkSoul
The Outernational Sound, released 29 Jun 2004
℗© 2004 ESL Music

First off, The Outernational Sound is proof that Thievery Corporation are cool, know their stuff, and have great taste. The tracks they've selected for this mix are more organic than expected, filled with sitars, sambas, and analog dubs with very little you'd think was electronica. Hipsters call this slapping of old jazz, reggae, and R&B records on the turntable "rare groove," and you've got to do a lot of homework to not come off as a charlatan. The duo never come off as anything but smart lovers of groovy music, the quirkier the better. The problem is that the mix isn't seamless and some of the transitions are downright jarring. The Corp's own "Richest Man in Babylon" is a tripped-out highlight -- a high compliment considering it keeps company with killers from Boozoo Bajou and Beatfanatic -- but Delroy Wilson's excellent "Better Must Come" just stumbles out of it. Tracks mix better during the album's softer beginning, but as a whole this sounds more like a cool radio station than someone trying to tell a story with two turntables. Dig it for the great tunes, not the flow.

00:00 International Flight - David Snell
01:55 Ya Ma Le Gimmicks 
04:14 Vai Vai - Thunderball
07:24 Chez Roger Boite Funk - Troublemakers
10:01 3 Play It Cool - Crazy Penis
13:36 Slow Hot Wind - Block 16 
16:22 Under My Sensi (Thievery Corp. Remix) - Boozoo Bajou
19:51 Lagos Communique - Thievery Corporation
23:50 Sea Groove - Big Boss Man
27:35 Cookin' (Version) - Beatfanatic 
30:51 Cramp Your Style - Breakestra
33:01 Simbarere - Antonio Carlos Jocafi
35:34 Re-Return Of The Original Artform - Major Force
39:06 Shall We Dance - Karminsky Experience 
41:43 Within You Without You - Alan Lorber Orchestra 
43:50 Mathar (Discovery Of India Mix) - Indian Vibes
47:42 Expo In Tokyo - Alan Moorhouse 
49:52 My French Brother - Bobby Hughes Experience
53:43 Richest Man In Babylon (G-Corp. Remix) - Thievery Corporation
59:24 Better Must Come - Delroy Wilson

LOW POWER MODE: I sometimes put the blog in what I call LOW POWER MODE. If you see this note, the blog is operating like a sleeping computer, maintaining static memory, but making no new computations. If I am in low power mode, it's because I do not have time to do much that's inventive, original, or even substantive on the blog. This means I am posting straight shares, limited content posts, reprints, often something qualifying for the THAT ONE THING category and other easy to make posts to keep me daily. That's the deal. Thanks for reading.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2311.27 - 10:10

- Days ago = 3071 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: