Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Sunday, January 14, 2024

A Sense of Doubt blog post #3253 - Various Comic Book Panels via SECRET ORANGES by Steve Cook


A Sense of Doubt blog post #3253 - Various Comic Book Panels via SECRET ORANGES by Steve Cook

As usual, I had another post in the works that's going to take some time to get it where I want it to be, so I am delaying it to next Sunday.

I had this one already set, so it's a quick and easy share.

Once again, I commend Warren Ellis who recommended Steve Cook's great newsletter, and so I subscribed.

Loving it.

Thanks for tuning in.

Back to Bowie posts tomorrow but maybe not all next week.

Largin' it! #2

Pulchritudinous, premium panels, presented prodigiously for your perusal.


A few moons ago, on my original blog, I had a habit of posting enlarged panels from some of my favourite comics. Not only do they look cool that way, but you really get a glimpse of the seemingly effortless techniques of the artists with this kind of detail, so I’m doing it again…

This panel is from a page of original 'The Spider' art that I'm lucky enough to own, thanks to the kindness of the late and very sadly missed Garry Leach. From Lion - September, 1968. The Spider. Script: Ted Cowan Art: Reg Bunn.

The Odd Comic World of Richard Corben (1977). CidOpey By Richard Corben.

By Frank Robbins, one of my favourite artists. Adventure Into Fear - Morbius the Living Vampire #27 - Night of the Vampire Stalker! (1975) Script: Doug Moench. Art: Frank Robbins. Inks: D. Fraser.

Amazing Spider-Man #82 - March, 1970. Story: Stan Lee. Pencils: John Romita Sr. Inks: Jim Mooney. Letters: Sam Rosen.

From Eerie #131 June 1982. 'Overworked!' Author: Archie Goodwin. Illustrators: Wally Wood & Dan Adkins.

Lois Lane, as seen in "I Am Curious (Black)!" Superman's Girl Friend Lois Lane #106 - November 1970. Script: Bob Kanigher. Pencils: Werner Roth. Inks: Vince Colletta.

From the very wonderful Hugo Tate series by Nick Abadzis.
Hugo Tate "Bread and Liver" - Deadline Magazine #5, March 1989.

Conan The Barbarian #21 - December 1972. "The Monster of the Monoliths!" Writer: Roy Thomas. Pencils: Barry Smith. Inks: Craig Russell, Val Mayerik, Dan Adkins, Sal Buscema. Letters: Artie Simek

Fantastic Four #94 - "The Return of the Frightful Four" - January, 1970. One of my favourite FF stories. This is from a British black & white reprint that states on the cover, 'Also suitable for colouring and crayoning'… I cry Sacrilege!!! Script: Stan Lee. Pencils: Jack Kirby. Inks: Joe Sinnott. Letters: Sam Rosen.

Countdown, October 2nd, 1971. UFO - "The Snatch". Artist: Gerry Haylock.

Marvel Feature Presents: Red Sonja #5 - July, 1976. "The Bear God Walks!" Art: Frank Thorne. Letters: Frank Thorne.

From Little Annie Fanny, 1969. by Harvey Kurtzman and Will Elder.

A panel from a 2000 AD ‘Tharg The Mighty’ story a good few years back. (This one's actually supposed to be me as Robo-Cook, when I worked at the 2000 AD Command Module : ) Script by John Tomlinson. Art by Eric Bradbury. Letters by Tom Frame.

From Bulletproof Coffin: Disinterred #4. The cut-up issue. Story/Script: David Hine. Story/Art: Shaky Kane. er… I notice a certain similarity to a portrait I took of Shaky for the Secret Origins exhibition in London, 2009. This kind of thing makes me happy!

Shaky Kane - photographed on location at the House of Kane, Exeter, Devon, 2009.

The Daily Mirror Book of Garth (1975) - The Cloud of Balthus. Art: Frank Bellamy.

Well, that’s it for now. If you like this article and all this incredible art, please hit the ‘like’ button, so I know for next time. Thanks!

All images are © copyright to their respective owners.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2401.14 - 10:10

- Days ago = 3117 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: