A Sense of Doubt blog post #4252 - Letter to Dad #56 - I am Re-Reading TOMB OF DRACULA and other newsy news
Hey Big Guy, Just a newsy news letter today.
You know how I love comic books. You started this love with me buying comics from me to read before bed time, starting at the age of four.
Lately, I have been focusing more on books and so I relegate my comic book reading to Sundays during football, which is mandatory selfcare time.I didn't start reading it until issue number six, published January of 1973, probably a birthday gift issue. At that age, I was not always getting every issue of comics I loved. My next issue was number nineteen over a year later. But from then on, I bought every issue until its end at issue seventy in 1979.
Marv Wolfman whom I remember as THE writer of Tomb of Dracula did not take on writing duties until issue seven; however Eugene "Gene" Colan drew every issue, inked by Tom Palmer, one of my favorite all time artist duos. So FANTASTIC.
I have not read the entire series in many years. I did not remember that Archie Goodwin, whom I worked with during my internship at Marvel, wrote issues three and four, which were pivotal issues in the development of the series.
Gerry Conway, who just passed away, wrote the first two issues. The first one seems like a one-off, very much in the EC tradition, it comes to a close with the traditional final twist and ended in a way that it could be a stand alone story.
But the comic continued.
I posted about this series before as it is one of my all-time favorites:
Saturday, October 28, 2023
A Sense of Doubt blog post #3175 - Marvel's Tomb of Dracula
Saturday, October 28, 2023
A Sense of Doubt blog post #3175 - Marvel's Tomb of Dracula
I am reading the series again in my ESSENTIAL collections, which are black and white on very thin paper (so I have to be careful). But Colan/Palmer art may actually look better in B&W.
I wish you were here so we could read together.
I just decided I am going to listen to the Dracula dramatized audio book (abridged) on Audible, but maybe not before my next book. Not sure. I will decide in the morning when I head back to Salem for another day of Practicum.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I am writing this to you from Sunday, that selfcare day I mentioned, so I am a bit behind.
Things are going well. The fence is all stained and looks great. I couldn't have done as good a job.
The Practicum is also going well, though I am not over fond of the drive. I try to vary phone calls and audio book time.
I am really enjoying being a counselor in training. I am told I am a natural and have good instincts. I don't want that to go to my head as I KNOW I will run into situations in which I do not know what to do, resistant clients, or saying the wrong thing.
I keep thinking about losing my job at the school as I have success with clients, and so that success feels vindicating.
I am behind on some things, I owe Lori an email or emails.
And I have lots of work to do, which is partially why I am behind on the blog.
But it's selfcare day, so I am going to sign off.
Love you!
~ christopher
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2610.08 - 10:10
- Days ago: MOM = 4116 days ago & DAD = 770 days ago
- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I post Hey Mom blog entries on special occasions. I post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day, and now I have a second count for Days since my Dad died on August 28, 2024. I am now in the same time zone as Google! So, when I post at 10:10 a.m. PDT to coincide with the time of Mom's death, I am now actually posting late, so it's really 1:10 p.m. EDT. But I will continue to use the time stamp of 10:10 a.m. to remember the time of her death and sometimes 13:40 EDT for the time of Dad's death. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.
- Days ago: MOM = 4116 days ago & DAD = 770 days ago
- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I post Hey Mom blog entries on special occasions. I post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day, and now I have a second count for Days since my Dad died on August 28, 2024. I am now in the same time zone as Google! So, when I post at 10:10 a.m. PDT to coincide with the time of Mom's death, I am now actually posting late, so it's really 1:10 p.m. EDT. But I will continue to use the time stamp of 10:10 a.m. to remember the time of her death and sometimes 13:40 EDT for the time of Dad's death. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments:
Post a Comment