Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Saturday, July 18, 2015

Hey, Mom! Talking to my Mother #13 - Memorial Service pt. 4 - Ironing


Hey, Mom! Talking to my Mother #13 - Memorial Service pt. 4 - Ironing

Hi Mom, so yeah, I have an iron and an ironing board. Do you remember when I got these? I want to say you were with me when I spent gift cards at Target after the wedding getting things we needed that you would approve of, like this clothes iron and stuff, a laundry drying rack, and a hamper.

Kind of a dramatic lighting effect with the iron, eh?

You were very big on ironing, which actually constitutes the next part of the talk I gave at your Memorial Service, continuing from post #11.

Here's what I said:

Ironing was another thing about which my mother was very particular. She would iron everything. She would iron jeans. She would iron t-shirts. Later, in my adult years, she felt that I should do my own ironing, but I wouldn’t. I liked being rumpled or at least not completely wrinkle-free. So, she did the ironing and than charged me for her ironing services. I started getting these notes with list of ironing charges. She charged 50 cents for pants and 75 cents for dress shirts. I told her to stop. I was not going to pay her. But then, my mother was much too fussy to let me out of the house wearing unironed clothes, especially if I was going with her to church or brunch at the country club. So did it anyway. She continued to do it no matter what I said. I tried to take them from the laundry room and put them in my closet but she would find them and iron them anyway.
So, that's the only chunk I am serving up today. It's enough, and I am still trying to catch up on late work, you know, that I get paid for.

Mom will surely remember this, but the readers do not know. I did actually pay you for some of the ironing, right? I did not stiff you for all that work. I started refusing around the time I owed you $150.00+ and realized I would not be able to pay you back and so I wanted to stop ironing. But you would not stop. And you kept charging me until the meningitis made you stop. We never let you near an iron again after that for fear that you would burn yourself.

Even this, I told you I appreciated before you left us, Mom. And I did appreciate it. You were always trying to take care of us, take care of me, just like I do now with my family.

I wonder how much I actually did pay you before we stopped.

I wonder if I kept those ironing bills or if I threw them out? I held on to those bills for a long time. Your handwriting was so pretty.

When did I realize that everything you left behind would become so precious to me?

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.
Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 14 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1507.18 - 17:27

No comments: