Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #464 - Milky way - over one billion stars


Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #464 - "My God, it's full of stars!" - Milky way - over one billion stars

Hi Mom, No Talking Again and Throwback Thursday today. Lost bloggery time to final grades and a Discrete Mathematics test, and I do not have too many new things to report anyway. I did finally reach the plumber.

So, here's a re-posting that is NOT about politics.

I thought this news item was re-post worthy. And I love space.

Say it with me now. "My God, it's full of stars!"

FROM 2001 a SPACE ODYSSEY 
- Stanley Kurick & Arthur C. Clarke






Original Post HERE.


Most detailed 3D map ever made of our Milky Way shows over one billion stars


The largest all-sky survey of celestial objects ever made by humans was released this month, using data from The European Space Agency (ESA)'sGaia satellite.
The survey captures more than a billion stars, and will become part of the most detailed 3D map ever made of our Milky Way galaxy.

“Gaia has pinned down the precise position on the sky and the brightness of 1142 million stars,” ESA reports. The star catalogue also documents details of the distances and motions across the sky for over two million stars.

“Gaia is at the forefront of astrometry, charting the sky at precisions that have never been achieved before,” said Alvaro Giménez, ESA’s Director of Science. “[This] gives us a first impression of the extraordinary data that await us and that will revolutionise our understanding of how stars are distributed and move across our Galaxy.”
Artist's impression of Gaia mapping the stars of the Milky Way [ESA]
Artist's impression of Gaia mapping the stars of the Milky Way [ESA]
Gaia started its scientific work in July of 2014. This is the first big data release from the project, representing data gathered during the first 14 months, through September 2015.
Most of the Milky Way’s stars reside in the so-called Galactic Plane, shown here as a bright horizontal strip about 100,000 light-years across and about 1,000 light-years deep. (...) As extensive as these measurements are, Gaia will catalog just 1 percent of the stars found in the Milky Way by the time its mission ends.



+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

I miss you so very much, Mom.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 466 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1610.13 - 10:10

NOTE on time: When I post late, I had been posting at 7:10 a.m. because Google is on Pacific Time, and so this is really 10:10 EDT. However, it still shows up on the blog in Pacific time. So, I am going to start posting at 10:10 a.m. Pacific time, intending this to be 10:10 Eastern time. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom. But I am not going back and changing all the 7:10 a.m. times. But I will run this note for a while. Mom, you know that I am posting at 10:10 a.m. often because this is the time of your death.

No comments: