Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Saturday, February 10, 2018

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #950 - at 950 - blog thoughts

Mom and Family Tower Grandparents Lori Christmas 1975
Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #950 - at 950 - blog thoughts

Hi Mom,

It's been a while since I wrote some thoughts on this blog series. Even if this is short, and even though it's two days late, I decided to take the time today, Monday 1802.12 (while task switching off work tasks) to record a few thoughts. Most importantly, I am considering ceasing publication of the Hey Mom feature of this blog with entry 1000. I say "considering" because I have not set in stone this decision. I am waffling, but I more than 50% committed. Also, I did not say that I would cease daily posting as I quite like the habit of posting, even if to share the content of others, on a daily basis. It keeps me active, it keeps me focused on something that is not work, I do share with students and work colleagues, and I try to write something original of some substance about once a week, even if I am only writing preface-type comments to a shared post of some kind.

Okay, it's a couple of days later and now this entry is five days late counting today (Wednesday) and its day (Saturday), so I am going to wrap it up with less blog recap than I had intended.

So, I am in the process of trying to decide if I feel the HEY MOM feature has run its course or I am going to continue it for much longer with no end in sight. 1000 entries feels like a good place to stop, and yet the three year mark, on July 6th, might also be an appropriate end.

One thing that gets me thinking is whether or not I stop HEY MOM posts completely. If I decide to continue to post daily, can some of the posts be written in our continuing conversation together, Mom? And if I am going to feature Hey Mom on a regular basis, then why stop it at all?

As a quick glimpse into some blog stats, my most seen blog post of all time with 1022 hits is not a Hey Mom post, it's a post on misogyny in the TV show Heroes.

Recent post, Hey Mom #803 that reprints a Buffy post from my T-shirt blog has soared to second place all time with 930 hits.

I am pleased that my THINGS THAT SUCK #2 - "Please PrePay in Advance" post, also not a HEY MOM, ranks in the top five 638 hits as I think it's one of my best posts.

Interesting, isn't it, that there's such a gap between high ranked entries. My blog does not get enough traffic from readers or bots to bunch up at the top of the scale with several entries between 1000-900 views. The top five round with even bigger drops in views to 472 for the review I did for WAD's Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, aided by theatre folks promoting the blog post - HEY MOM #675. And all the way down to 249, my post on BIG O NOTATION - Hey Mom #519.

I could break down the last month and week in posts and hits, but I will save that analysis for my next blog recap, though I will mention that my share of the Erykah Badu interview leads the pack:
HEY MOM #940 - ERYKAH BADU - EMPATHY, a fact which pleases me as I wrote quite a bit of original content to preface the interview share.

Anyway, I figured 950 was a good time to reveal my thoughts on the future of the blog and my conversations with you, Mom, via HEY MOM.

I still miss you, Mom; it just doesn't hurt like it did two years ago.

Still, seemed like a good time to post some more photos, which may or may not have been posted before.

Mom and Me Birthday Party 7yrs_1969

Mom and me Cubs trip March 11 1972-Planetarium

Mom and me Hazelwood 7.5 years

Mom and our family for church photo 1974

Mom Mothers Day 1976

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you, Mom.

I miss you so very much, Mom.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 952 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1802.10 - 10:10

NEW (written 1708.27) NOTE on time: I am now in the same time zone as Google! So, when I post at 10:10 a.m. PDT to coincide with the time of your death, Mom, I am now actually posting late, so it's really 1:10 p.m. EDT. But I will continue to use the time stamp of 10:10 a.m. to remember the time of your death, Mom. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom.

No comments: