Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #961 - Best Comics of 2017 via EW - Black Panther - pt.1

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #961 - Best Comics of 2017 via EW

Hi Mom, I have been saving this one for a while.

And that's an understatement. Originally scheduled for late January of 2017, it was pushed to February, and then April, which was the last date I logged on this post. But, then, you know, we MOVED across the country, and this post became buried.

I toss lots of content into draft posts. Currently, I have 346 drafts in my queue, and though at least 30 of these are weekly comic lists collected in monthly batches for posts I have never completed, the others, at least 300, are for content that is waiting to be posted and is in some incomplete state, sometimes with just a link.

This post was supposed to be a grand tour of the new Black Panther comic, far in advance of the film, in which I describe each issue and provide mini reviews and commentary. I had planned another post for Monstress, one of the other "best of" comics for 2016 according to Entertainment Weekly.

And yet those plan are a bit too ambitious.

I had some of this post written, along with the page from EW, and some of the great comic books covers for Black Panther, and at this stage, needing a post for today, then, that's enough.

The Black Panther film is the first film, especially a superhero film, that I want to see again, already, right after seeing it in the theatre for the first time.

Here's where I left off last year...

I have been noodling away on it in my mind mostly. Though I did have to mount a protracted search to find one issue of the latest series.

It's difficult for me to create original content every day. This is a remark I repeat often. These are themes: repeating and the inability to do daily original content but wanting to continue to be daily.

I was super pleased when two of my favorite comics of 2016 -- Marvel's Black Panther and Image Comics' Monstress -- showed up in EW's short list -- five comics total -- best of list for 2016.

Because I want to give each comic it's due, I am going to tackle each series in its own post. This is part one on Black Panther, and later I will post part two on Monstress.

ALSO, the current BLACK PANTHER comics are all on sale at Marvel.com. Normally, I would not huckster for the company, even though I am clearly a fan. But this is a deal worth snapping up.

Specifically, at BLACK PANTHER COLLECTIONS.






Before I even start to search the Internet for reviews of Black Panther, I know it's probably not everyone's cuppa.

Writer Ta-Nehisi Coates is trying to do more political machinations, more history, more new character development, more alternate African history, more fiction of revolution, and several other things not traditionally depicted in mainstream comic books.

I happen to love it. But I will not lie and say that this comic hits the top of my stack each week. It's a slow read (so is Monstress). Slow is not bad. But slow is something I am going to save until I have the time to invest.

Probably, my average time reading a comic is about ten minutes. Some of the comics that make their way to the top of my stack each week do so not just because I enjoy them immensely (like The Walking Dead) , but also because I can read them very quickly (under ten minutes typically).

Black Panther is too complex for a quick read, and the story line is often more cerebral than action based.


SOME HELPFUL LINKS:

BLACK PANTHER ON COMIC VINE

NEW BLACK PANTHER SERIES - MARVEL

COVER GALLERY
































+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

I miss you so very much, Mom.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 963 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1802.21 - 10:10

NOTE on time: When I post late, I had been posting at 7:10 a.m. because Google is on Pacific Time, and so this is really 10:10 EDT. However, it still shows up on the blog in Pacific time. So, I am going to start posting at 10:10 a.m. Pacific time, intending this to be 10:10 Eastern time. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom. But I am not going back and changing all the 7:10 a.m. times. But I will run this note for a while. Mom, you know that I am posting at 10:10 a.m. often because this is the time of your death.

No comments: