Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Friday, May 25, 2018

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #1054 - Why are some programmers still unemployed?

https://medium.com/swlh/best-10-programming-languages-to-learn-in-2018-2d6cbc5ffc2a
Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #1054 - Why are some programmers still unemployed?

Hi Mom,

The answer is maintainability.

As I am writing my résumé for programming jobs, this is a key idea to emphasize. The audience for our programs is really future humans who must maintain the programs. Inscrutability will not be appreciated.

from - https://www.quora.com/Why-are-some-programmers-unemployed

Eric Wadsworth

Most companies don’t actually want “Computer Programmers”. It doesn’t take a ton of skill or expertise to hack out some code to automate a task or provide a feature.
What companies usually actually want are “Software Engineers”. There’s a huge difference between code that works, and code that works and is also maintainable.
I conducted an interview yesterday, and the candidate and I did a pair programming exercise, working through a trivial problem. He solved the problem easily, and his solution was fast and simple, but I still rejected him. Why did I do that?
It was apparent that he considered the audience of his code to be the machine that executes it. While that particular reader is important, it’s also vital that a software professional realize that people will be reading their code, possibly for years to come. And those people will need to make changes to it.
Want details? The candidate failed to extract identical lines of logic into a method, and call the method multiple times. Yes, it was only a few lines of code, but he just copied and pasted it in the editor. In addition, some of the variable names were just single letters, not descriptive at all. And when I asked him to show me that it worked, he just hand-entered test values, instead of taking a couple of seconds to make a simple test method that can be called with different inputs.
In short, he was a programmer, not an engineer.


Rick Notman

Eric Wadsworth

David Benefield

Barry Blessing


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you, Mom.

I miss you so very much, Mom.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 1056 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1805.25 - 10:10

NEW (written 1708.27) NOTE on time: I am now in the same time zone as Google! So, when I post at 10:10 a.m. PDT to coincide with the time of your death, Mom, I am now actually posting late, so it's really 1:10 p.m. EDT. But I will continue to use the time stamp of 10:10 a.m. to remember the time of your death, Mom. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom.

No comments: