Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Sunday, September 9, 2018

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #1113 - Throwback Thursday on Sunday and Trip Report for 1809.09

Christmas - Delbridge's - 1964
Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #1112 - Throwback Thursday and Trip Report for 1809.06

Hi Mom, So two HEY MOM posts in a row this week because I postponed this one from Thursday because I was not done writing it yet. I am not sure I am going to finish it on time for today, Sunday, either. But I am working on it, not like I have not posted late before.

So, it's Monday, and I am just finishing this entry. It seems my Throwbacks have become a mish mash of social media nonesuch and accumulated photos from the week. I am holding off on many of the comic con photos to post those separately. In fact, the trip report aspect I had meant to create may not manage quite the breadth and depth I wished for when I conceived the idea (sorry students), but here's the mash up of stuff with comments.

The throwback picture is darling, yes? I am basically three years old. This is a Christmas photo taken at my mother's childhood home.

Here's a neat thing. Check out this video of sunrises on the moon.





This is Amy Chu. She was at the comic con. I wanted to get a chance to speak with her, but I missed her panel and missed her at her table. Next time, even though she's from out east.



Here's a photo that Liesel took at Cannon Beach on Tuesday the 4th. It's pretty amazing, just sayin'.


I asked Jim Starlin about his run on Dreadstar and whether he will return to it (or if the promised TV series will happen). This is one of my all-time favorite comics.





So here are some of my social media posts from the week including some from Comic Con.








Here's some of Liesel's photos from our Ape Cave trip.

Why Graffiti?? Why people, why?


Isn't this a good picture of us?

I think I look old.

Liesel looks amazing, as always.








Here's the article because the above is just an image.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/05/opinion/trump-white-house-anonymous-resistance.html


I liked this Twitter message:







I liked this album (Thanks to Kieron Gillen): 




Here's some stuff from Kieron Gillen's newsletter. While I was at RCCC, Ryan North was over at XOXO, which was basically next door along with Dan Hon, who also does a newsletter.

Is that a well linked set of stuff or what?

The following text from asterisks to asterisks is written by Kieron Gillen, but I wanted to save his thoughts and some of his links, so there you go.
*****
I like to think I'm relatively prepared for time travel, in that I've actually given it a little thought and memorised some key details. Specifically, gunpowder, its ingredients and roughly where to get them. Frankly, it's a big foggy, as I keep on losing useful information by using the grey matter to memorise the names of Skaven units, but I've got the basics. I'm not quite sure whether it's a 10-3-1 or 9-3-1 ratio, but if I'm ever stranded I figure I have time to do a little experimentation until I get my boom powder. Last time I mentioned this to a friend, she noted that she can't imagine me making a gun. She was correct – but it's certainly a lot easier to imagine me over a pestle and mortar while grinning frenziedly, like a shit Merlin.
(I checked and I'm totally wrong with the Ratio, but I'm not telling you, as I figure if you're too lazy to google the facts, you absolutely can't be trusted with this knowledge.)
To cut to the chase: my puny efforts are to Ryan North's as a paper plane is to the Apollo landings.
You may know Ryan from rescuing his dog from a concrete skate park with the aid of the Internet, being tall and probably other things. Among the other things may include his Time Traveller T-shirtwhich crams the core things you need to know if stranded from civilization on one garment. This is that, but book length.
HOW TO INVENT EVERYTHING is a manual included in a Time Machine for the use of a stranded traveller who is forced to reinvent civilization so they can have their fine pizzas and loving pets. I don't know how Ryan got the manual, but I have no reason to doubt his words. It starts from nothing. It builds everything.
There's stuff you'll know, if foggy from school. There's lots of stuff you likely won't. And most of all, there's Ryan's perspective on all this, simultaneously in wonderment how people worked stuff out and utter amused horror of how people didn't. When looking at history, I tend to be amazed that people worked anything out. I mean, look at gunpowder above. Three chemicals from all over the place, mixed and you get your magic boom dust.
And then Ryan tells about fine steel wire production. In 1650 it was found (somehow) that by soaking steel in urine you can actually make the fine wire the people desired. Excellent! Then 150 years later, someone discovered that actually watered down beer worked. And then 50 years later, someone checked, and lo and behold, water worked just as well. People were pissing about with Urine for 150 years for no fucking reason.
I give you humanity.
I stress, one throawaway example of so, so many. I've been stopping C every few minutes to tell her about some other insight or anecdote. Don't start me about fucking Buttons.
It's also very funny.
I liked it a lot, and I suspect you would do. And, on a writer note, I also suspect it could be useful for people doing worldbuilding in the more credible low-fantasy worlds, in terms of being aware of technologies which developed late in our worlds which 100% could have appeared millennia earlier if it had just occurred to someone.
It's out in a couple of weeks, so can be pre-ordered right now to get you a copy, unless you have a time machine in which case make sure you keep it well serviced as you don't want to end up being trapped in 2018.
*****
  • I've talked about Idles before, but their new album Joy As An Act Of Resistance is a hell of a thing. It's the sort of album I wished existed when I was a teenager. Wise, sad, funny and vicious. I love this.
  • I really liked this piece by Jog about the Impossible Hit.
  • This section just doesn't look right without a third bullet point, does it? Well, here it is. Oh – Dialect! Narrative RPG I bought this week. Really interesting. Go nose.
  • Actually, a fourth point looks pretty good too.
****
APE CAVE - SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 2nd, 2018

I didn't quite know what to expect from Ape Cave.

My mind imagined a tunnel in the side of a rock face, which is probably my default image of a cave or what the words "lava tube" evoke in my mind.

But Ape Cave is accessed through stairs down into a large pit and the first cavern space slopes down with stone steps to a longer steel staircase.

As I descended, I realized this trek was my first cave experience. I had not been in a cave before.

The first cavern is a bit misleading because the rest of the caved is a long tunnel with very high ceilings.


Walking through the cave feels a bit like what walking on the dark side of the moon might be like. Grey dirt, rocks, a sense of enclosed space, darkness, cold. The temperature averages between 40 and 45 degrees all the time down there, which feels cold at first but as you walk, it becomes the perfect temperature for the physical activity involved.

There are no lights so people bring their own.

The cave has an upper route up a mile and a half to a separate exit, which we did not try (next time). We walked the lower cave, which is 3/4ths of a mile in length, with only the occasional obstructions of large rocks that have to be navigated or climbed. The tunnel ceiling is always at least ten feet overhead and does not vary much in height. The tunnel ends in a crawl space, and we did not crawl forward to see how far it goes.

I believe these first pictures are from a stop along the way to Ape Cave on Lake Merwin.





As we are often thinking in elevations around Mt. St. Helens, the 12,810 feet is misleading as it is NOT the elevation or even the descent. I believe it is meant to be the total length of the cave, upper and lower.





















These pictures are not perfectly in order. This is the end of the cave, where the crawl space begins.




This is what I mean about "moon like."








CANNON BEACH - TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 4, 2018

Liesel and I chose to stay home on Labor Day and go to Cannon Beach the next day. Fewer people, definitely, but still some traffic back up.




These clocks were in a crepes shop. I liked them.



I like taking pictures of sand. 



I walked to Haystack rock along the water, wading at times through ankle deep pools, and then I walked back along the warm sand, which was not as much of a work out as I feared. Though bare foot, I messed up my plantar fascitis, mostly in the walk to the rock along the harder, packed, wet sand. The soft, dry sand conformed to my feet and was less of an impact on my PF issue. It's this reason that I am in shoes all the time with my orthotics.


Barnacles...


I like close ups of rocks...






This panorama shot probably looks better as an Instagram story.





More barnacles...






Cool shadow, eh?




This panorama shot turned out better.











This is where we ate after Ape Cave and Lava Canyon. Great sign!


Ellory Queen

This was taken enroute from Concordia. Driving through Kenton takes longer.


Isolated beach along Yale Lake, just south of Cougar.










LAVA CANYON - SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 02, 2018


































NOODLE NOVA!!




One of the first photos with my new phone. Some light reading before bed.


These are the first two photos taken with my new Galaxy Note 9. Of course. Satchel Paige Tower. Who else?



+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you, Mom.

I miss you so very much, Mom.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 1163 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1809.09 - 10:10

NEW (written 1708.27) NOTE on time: I am now in the same time zone as Google! So, when I post at 10:10 a.m. PDT to coincide with the time of your death, Mom, I am now actually posting late, so it's really 1:10 p.m. EDT. But I will continue to use the time stamp of 10:10 a.m. to remember the time of your death, Mom. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom.

No comments: