Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Thursday, February 7, 2019

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #1149 - Throwback Thursday 1902.07 - pic from 1970


Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #1149 - Throwback Thursday 1902.07 - pic from 1970 a sense of doubt post #1448

Hi Mom, How are you doing wherever you are? Are you connected to everything and part of the great unity in a way that we mortals cannot even imagine? I like to think so. I recently participated in a discussion with Theologians on the "nature of Heaven" and I am fascinated by the way Christian religions have characterized the after-life. It makes more sense to me that it would be a thing (and "thing" is not even the right word) that we cannot imagine or even conceptualize with our limited mortal human brain pans.

Hi Mom, it's me again. I had a profound moment of missing you this week.

Hodge podge again.

Let me walk you through it before you dive in.

Hey, thanks for being here.

First off, some more Bowie stuff because.... well, have you met me? If not, check out my Bowie category or better the DAILY BOWIE, which I did for about 80 days after he died. Plus it's Paul Cornell (great author) writing about Bowie's influence. What could be more grand?

That bit and a bunch of other bits are from Kieron Gillen's newsletter. Kieron Gillen is a comic book writer via music and gaming journalism, whom I have written about many times on this blog, for instance, in my review of his recent project DIE  and his end of year music reviews, for which I like 2016 better than 2017. Theoretically, I am doing his 2018 mix on Monday, but you know how it goes here in the SENSE OF DOUBT blog world: there's always a sense of doubt. So, we'll see.

I am writing these words on Saturday morning and sending them back in time, and so I can report that I read Peter Cannon: Thunderbolt last night, and I loved it. I took these newsletter bits from a few weeks back when the Peter Cannon comic was due that week, so, you get the connection. Here's an INTERVIEW with Gillen about it.

It's GREAT!

Mostly a hodge podge of comics stuff this week. I have been work intensive and then I got an infection in my left elbow, and so that and the course of anti-biotics has really messed up a lot of scheduling, though I did teach all my LCC classes and managed to work on the rest as best as I can with extra time for rest and even two naps, which are completely outside the norm.

So no photos and social media stuff this week. There's not much if anything to share as I have been inactive.

We have snow, finally, though remember, I am writing two days after the posted date of this entry.


I am hoping to finally finish out my entry on Eerie and Creepy for Sunday. Again, see above, you know, DOUBT.


I curate some more as we progress, scroll on...









https://www.comicsbeat.com/bendis-teases-batman-beyond-the-possible-return-of-the-legion-of-super-heroes-omac-and-more/



Here’s the biggie: what is clearly a piece of the Legion of Super-Heroes logo. Now, this is a property that has laid dormant since the most recent Paul Levitz-scripted series was cancelled at the end of 2013 to eventually be replaced with Justice League 3000 (more or less). Since then, fans have clamored for its return and given Bendis tossing out his share of hints about the current Superman story, “The Unity Saga” setting up the United Planets, and Saturn Girl’s appearances in Rebirth, Doomsday Clock and Batman, the time is right! It’s just a matter of where. 2019 definitely looks to be the when though. Long Live The Legion!





I need to get this book -


https://www.comicsbeat.com/emil-ferris-wins-the-fauve-dor-for-my-favorite-thing-is-monsters/
























WHAT?????

Good thing I bought this annual and it's in my huge stack of comics to read. And I do mean HUGE. I had to move the bulk of the stack to the Fantastic Four SMALL box.

But I may skip ahead to read this one.

I always like the kissing.


Behind the scenes of JUSTICE LEAGUE ANNUAL #1 with Scott Snyder and James Tynion IV
























NEWSY BITS!

https://news.slashdot.org/story/19/02/05/2119222/as-magnetic-north-pole-zooms-toward-siberia-scientists-update-world-magnetic-model



As Magnetic North Pole Zooms Toward Siberia, Scientists Update World Magnetic Model (npr.org)


An anonymous reader quotes a report from NPR:Earth's geographic north pole is fixed. But the planet's magnetic north pole -- the north that your compass points toward -- wanders in the direction of Siberia at a rate of more than 34 miles per year. That movement may seem slow, but it has forced scientists to update their model of Earth's magnetic field a year earlier than expected so that navigational services, including map-based phone apps, continue to work accurately. The drift results from processes taking place at the center of the planet. Molten iron and nickel slosh and spin in the planet's core, essentially serving as a metallic conductor for Earth's magnetic field. Changes in that fluid flow lead to changes in the magnetic field. As a result of those changes, the accuracy of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's World Magnetic Model (WMM) -- a mathematical representation of the magnetic field -- slowly deteriorates in the five-year periods between updates. The next update was due in 2020. But "unplanned variations" have degraded the quality of the WMM so greatly that NOAA published an out-of-cycle update Monday. It was delayed from January by the partial government shutdown.

https://science.slashdot.org/story/19/02/05/2244224/the-shape-of-the-milky-way-is-warped-and-twisted



The Shape of the Milky Way Is Warped and Twisted (abc.net.au)


Necroloth writes:You probably thought that if you were looking at our galaxy from the outside and at a distance, you would see a thin disc of stars that orbit around a central region, but the further away from the inner regions of the Milky Way you are, the less the pull of gravity. At the outer disc, the hydrogen atoms that make up the Milky Way's gas disc are, as a consequence, warped into an S-like shape, no longer pulled together in a thin plane. A group of astronomers from Australia and China have built their "intuitive and accurate three-dimensional picture" by mapping 1339 classical Cepheids. There's a quick animation of the galaxy on the @NatureAstronomy twitter here.The study has been published in the journal Nature Astronomy.





Thanks for reading.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you, Mom.

I miss you so very much, Mom.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 1314 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1902.07 - 10:10

NEW (written 1708.27) NOTE on time: I am now in the same time zone as Google! So, when I post at 10:10 a.m. PDT to coincide with the time of your death, Mom, I am now actually posting late, so it's really 1:10 p.m. EDT. But I will continue to use the time stamp of 10:10 a.m. to remember the time of your death, Mom. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom.

No comments: