Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Thursday, July 9, 2020

A Sense of Doubt blog post #1969 - On Writing- Four videos - Poetry - A scene - POV - Two by Me



A Sense of Doubt blog post #1969 - On Writing- Four videos - Poetry - A scene - POV - Two by Me

So, I am going deep into the weeds as I "instruct" students about creative writing, both poetry and fiction, for English 231 at Lower Columbia College.

These are really the first instructional videos for two assignments that essentially breakdown to "write a poem" and "write a scene for a story (or that is a story)."

First, there's two videos by me and links to the poem and story that I am talking about in each. Following those videos, there's a great web page on point of view followed by an excellent TED talk on POV and a final video on building a fictional world.

My videos are not as good as the others, I will admit it. I do not have the time to do too much in terms of planning, and so they are very much like exactly what I would do in the live face-to-face class room. If you watch them, bear that caveat in mind. Despite my improvisational technique, I think both videos do a good job with the ideas I wanted to convey. I am sure I could ameliorate the experience but that's for a future time when I think remaking them would be a valuable use of time.

The other two videos seem more composed. The first is a video about POV using great examples (Calvino! Virginia Woolf!!) as well as the tale of "Rapunzel." Smart and informative TED talk. The second is about building fictional worlds in fantasy and speculative fiction and will only be interested to those types of fiction (as I am, and I know some of you are).

Here's the gritty of the nitty. Enjoy.

Please like and leave me a comment!

FOR ASSIGNMENT ONE, WRITING A POEM

Modeled on "Lying Down with Men and Women" by John Woods:

A Sense of Doubt blog post #1827 - “Lying Down With Men and Women” by John Woods, a poem



FOR ASSIGNMENT TWO - WRITING A FICTION SCENE

Modeled on the story "No One's a Mystery" by Elizabeth Tallent - PDF.




Point of View in Writing


https://thewritepractice.com/point-of-view-guide/


All stories are written from a point of view. However, when point of view goes wrong—and believe me, it goes wrong often—you threaten whatever trust you have with your reader and fracture their suspension of disbelief.
However, point of view is simple to master if you use common sense.
This post will define point of view, go over each of the major POVs, explain a few of the POV rules, and then point out the major pitfalls writers make when dealing with that point of view.











+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2007.09 - 10:10

- Days ago = 1833 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: