Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Friday, July 24, 2020

A Sense of Doubt blog post #1984 - Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Just Stood Up For Every Woman In The Country

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez $7,000 in savings only amplifies her ...


A Sense of Doubt blog post #1984 - Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Just Stood Up For Every Woman In The Country 

Sometimes, as I often share on this blog, content presents itself.

I had planned another post for today.

Yes, I do actually plan my blog posts.

And though I have established four weekly features -- Musical Monday, Writerly Wednesday, the Weekly Hodge Podge (usually Saturday), and Comic Book Sunday -- I try to remain felxible so that when something amazing happens, if I have time, I can post about it.

We're living in a special time in which we have many great women in politics. Someday I will not have to qualify with "women"; I will just say we have some great politicians, here are just four of them: Nancy Pelosi, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar and Jahana Hayes are featured on the March 2019 issue of Rolling Stone.

And now, over a year later, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York was verbally assaulted by Florida representative Ted Yoho, who called her a "fucking bitch," within ear shot of many people, many of whom were reporters.

The highly evolved and sophisticated (and smart as all fuck) Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was going to let it go. Just another day in toxic man culture, what I call "state of the hate nation."

Because news flash, we live in a system of oppression dominated for no good reason or no right based on merit old, white men. So it's a systemic system of sexism, racism, homophobia, and whatever other hate threatens their shrinking, frightened male parts.

AND THEN, toxic dumb ass Yoho decided to man-splain his way out of his hateful tirade and try to DENY what he did and said that lots of people witnessed... but damn where were the cameras you phone junkies! And not just man-splain to the press, he got his sorry ass up on the floor of the HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES and try to DEFEND his actions.

Yeah, not making that up.

And so Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez did what any quality human would do. She called him out on it and delivered a speech so blistering, raw, true, and real that it brought tears to my eyes.

Thank you women of merit who have earned your places as duly elected officials to stand up against the tyranny of old white men or the women they have co-opted, like my representative, the abhorrent Jaime Herrera Beutler.

I love you and what you stand for Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

Fuck you Ted Yoho and all your shriveled, good old cronies.



Rolling Stone on Twitter: "Nancy Pelosi, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez ...





Bitches get stuff done': Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez hits back after ...
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jul/21/aoc-ted-yoho-confrontation-congress-capitol




https://www.wonkette.com/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-gutted-ted-yoho-like-a-damn-fish-today-and-it-was-wondrous

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Just Stood Up For Every Woman In The Country (Sorry To Sound Like An Upworthy Vid)

By now you know the story. GOP Rep. Ted Yoho called Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez a "fucking bitch" in front of the Capitol, within earshot of reporters, and then he said he was "sorry" and now everybody is exchanging friendship again.

Wait, our bad, that's not what happened. He called her "disgusting" and a "fucking bitch," and was just generally monstrously sexist and unkind to her, and then he took to the House floor and apologized for being "abrupt" with Ocasio-Cortez. Then he denied calling her a "fucking bitch" and whined about MAH WIFE AND DAUGHTERS, as if that somehow means he is not a goddamned pig, because he has a wife and daughters.

Rep. Ted Yoho (R-FL) got into a heated exchange with Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY), cursing as he walked away from their conversation:
Rep. Ted Yoho reportedly verbally accosts Ocasio-Cortez - CNN Video
https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/07/21/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-ted-yoho-confrontation-sot-vpx-nr.cnn
Then he non-pologized again, saying that if his words were "construed" as "fucking bitch" — obviously they were probably "Go with God!" or "Warmest regards!" — then he is sorry for AOC's "misunderstanding." Also something something something about how he just loves Jesus and his country so much. Fuck off. It was terrible.

Ocasio-Cortez took to the House floor herself today, to say non-pology not accepted, but honestly, that's not really the point of this almost-10-minute floor speech that is the best fucking thing you will ever see this week. Not only did the gentlewoman get on the record exactly what Yoho called her — "fucking bitch" — but she zoomed out the lens to talk about how Yoho's pig behavior toward her, and any man's similar behavior, actuality gives license to other people to treat Yoho's own wife and daughters that way.

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy is making the rounds today whining that Ocasio-Cortez didn't accept Yoho's very insincere non-pologies, and you know what? Kevin McCarthy can shut his fucking mouth.

Watch this speech instead.

Here is some transcript, lovingly provided for you by Wonkette, stolen from Crooks & Liars:
REPRESENTATIVE OCASIO CORTEZ: Thank you, Madam Speaker. I would also like to thank many of my colleagues for the opportunity to not only speak today but for the many members from both sides of the aisle who have reached out to me in support following an incident earlier this week.

About two days ago I was walking up the steps of the Capitol when Representative Yoho suddenly turned a corner and he was accompanied by Representative Roger Williams. He accosted me on the steps right here in front of our nation's Capitol. I was minding my own business, walking up the steps, and Representative Yoho put his finger in my face, he called me disgusting, he called me crazy, he called me out of my mind. And he called me dangerous. And then he took a few more steps and after I had recognized his — after I had recognized his comments as rude, he walked away and said, 'I'm rude, you're calling me rude.'

I took a few steps ahead and I walked inside and cast my vote. Because my constituents send me here each and every day to fight for them. And to make sure that they are able to keep a roof over their head. That they are able to feed their families. And that they are able to carry their lives with dignity.

I walked back out and there were reporters in the front of the Capitol, and in front of reporters Representative Yoho called me, and I quote, a "fucking bitch" -- fucking, bitch. These are the words Representative Yoho levied against a congresswoman. A congresswoman that not only represents New York's 14th District but every congresswoman and every woman in this country because all of us have had to deal with this in some form, some way, some shape at some point in our lives.

And I want to be clear that Representative Yoho's comments were not deeply hurtful or piercing to me.

Because I have worked, a working class job. I have waited tables in restaurants. I have ridden the subway. I have walked the streets in New York City. And this kind of language is not new. I have encountered words uttered by Mr. Yoho and men uttering the same words as Mr. Yoho while I was being harassed in restaurants. I have tossed men out of bars that have used language like Mr. Yoho's, and I have encountered this type of harassment riding the subway in New York City. This is not new. And that is the problem.

Mr. Yoho was not alone. He was walking shoulder to shoulder with Representative Roger Williams. And that's when we start to see that this issue is not about one incident. It is cultural. It is a culture of lack of impunity, of accepting of violence and language against women, an entire structure of power that supports that. Because not only have I been spoken to disrespectfully, particularly by members of the Republican Party, and elected officials in the Republican Party, not just here, but the President of the United States last year told me to go home. To another country, with the implication that I don't even belong in America. The Governor of Florida, Governor DeSantis, before I was sworn in, called me a "whatever that is." Dehumanizing language is not new.

And what we are seeing is that incidents like these are happening in a pattern. This is a pattern of an attitude towards women and dehumanization of others. So while I was not deeply hurt or offended by little comments that are made, when I was reflecting on this, I honestly thought I was going to pack it up and go home. It's just another day, right?

But then yesterday, Representative Yoho decided to come to the floor of the House of Representatives and make excuses for his behavior. And that I could not let go. I could not allow my nieces, I could not allow the little girls that I go home to, I could not allow victims of verbal abuse and, worse, to see that -- to see that excuse and to see our Congress accepted as legitimate and accept it as an apology and to accept silence as a form of acceptance, I could not allow that to stand.

Which is why I'm rising today to raise this point of personal privilege. And I do not need Representative Yoho to apologize to me. Clearly he does not want to. Clearly when given the opportunity he will not. And I will not stay up late at night waiting for an apology from a man who has no remorse over calling women and using abusive language towards women. But what I do have issue with is using women, wives and daughters as shields and excuses for poor behavior.

Mr. Yoho mentioned that he has a wife and two daughters. I am two years younger than Mr. Yoho's youngest daughter. I am someone's daughter too. My father, thankfully, is not alive to see how Mr. Yoho treated his daughter. My mother got to see Mr. Yoho's disrespect on the floor of this house towards me on television, and I am here because I have to show my parents that I am their daughter and that they did not raise me to accept abuse from men.

Now, what I am here to say is that this harm that Mr. Yoho levied, tried to levy against me, was not just an incident directed at me, but when you do that to any woman, what Mr. Yoho did was give permission to other men to do that to his daughters. He — in using that language, in front of the press, he gave permission to use that language against his wife, his daughters, women in his community, and I am here to stand up to say that is not acceptable.

I do not care what your views are. It does not matter how much I disagree or how much it is incenses me or how much I feel that people are dehumanizing others. I will not do that myself. I will not allow people to change and create hatred in our hearts. And so what I believe is that having a daughter does not make a man decent. Having a wife does not make a decent man. Treating people with dignity and respect makes a decent man. And when a decent man messes up, as we all are bound to do, he tries his best and does apologize. Not to save face, not to win a vote. He apologizes genuinely to repair and acknowledge the harm done, so that we can all move on.

Lastly, what I want to express to Mr. Yoho is gratitude. I want to thank him for showing the world that you can be a powerful man and accost women. You can have daughters and accost women without remorse. You can be married and accost women. You can take photos and project an image to the world of being a family man and accost women without remorse and with a sense of impunity. It happens every day in this country. It happened here on the steps of our nation's Capitol. It happens when individuals who hold the highest office in this land, admit, admit! to hurting women, and using this language against all of us.
And that is what needs to be said about that.
The end, and OPEN THREAD.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Is Sued Over Blocking Twitter Followers ...
https://www.mainepublic.org/post/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-sued-over-blocking-twitter-followers
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on the 2020 Presidential Race and Trump's ...
https://www.newyorker.com/news/the-new-yorker-interview/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-on-the-2020-presidential-race-and-trumps-crisis-at-the-border

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has sealed her legacy, no matter where ...
https://www.orlandoweekly.com/orlando/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-has-sealed-her-legacy/Content?oid=23060886


Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
https://www.forbes.com/profile/alexandria-ocasio-cortez/#4a90a7021b49

Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez | Representing the 14th ...
https://ocasio-cortez.house.gov/

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and the Legacy of the Bernie Sanders ...
https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-and-the-legacy-of-the-bernie-sanders-movement

https://time.com/longform/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-profile/
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Releases Green New Deal Outline : NPR
https://www.npr.org/2019/02/07/691997301/rep-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-releases-green-new-deal-outline

THE YEAR IN NUMBER FEATURE - 1984

https://bestlifeonline.com/1984-events/

A woman ran on a major political party's presidential ticket for the first time.




Movemember was at one point proof for young men of voting age.
Shutterstock

During the 1984 election, a woman ran on a major political party's presidential ticket for the first time in history. Congresswoman Geraldine Ferraro joined former Democrat Walter Mondale as he went up against Republican incumbent Ronald Reagan. Mondale was behind throughout most of the campaign and hoped the choice of Ferraro for vice presidential candidate would not only boost enthusiasm from women for his candidacy, but peel away voters from Reagan.
Why 1984 Was Pop Music's Best Year Ever | Billboard



What Happened in 1984 Important News and Events, Key Technology and Popular Culture

What happened in 1984 Major News Stories include Indria Ghandi assassinated, DNA profiling developed, Virgin Atlantic Starts Operations, Grand Hotel Brighton Bombing, Union Carbide Pesticide plant in Bhopal India leaks lethal gas, McDonalds Restaurant Shooting Leaves 20 dead. The Aids Virus is identified it is not the worldwide problem it is today. Following on from the PC Apple releases the Macintosh computer. Following the Widespread Famine in Ethiopia many of the top British and Irish USSR pop musicians join together under the Name Band Aid and record the song "Do They Know It's Christmas". Following the boycott by the US of the Moscow Olympics the soviet block boycotts the Los Angeles Olympic games. Recession continues to be a problem in the US and 70 US Banks fail in just one year
Jump To 1984 Fashion -- World Leaders -- 1984 Calendar -- 1984 Technology -- Cost Of Living -- Popular Culture -- Toys

Episode 163 - Top 5 Movies from 1984


Was 1984 the Best Year in Movie History? » The MALESTROM

Michael Radford's 1984 Part 1 - The Privations of an Alternative ...


1984 WIKI


February[edit]




A POP CULTURE ADDICT - IN REHAB: September 1, 1984

1984 Newspaper Poster, Birthday Poster Printable, Time Capsule ...

Decibel Geek - Hard Rock and Heavy Metal Discussion: 1984 Year in ...

Perspectives: '1984', more relevant than ever after 70 years ...


1984 Movies: The Year in Film from Axel Foley to Amadeus | Collider


THE 1984 EXPERIMENT: WHAT I LEARNED BY RELIVING THE YEAR I FELL IN ...

The Year Was 1984: Billionaire Boys Club - REELZChannel


me in 1984:


me and Lori 1984

and of course, the DETROIT TIGERS won the World Series in 1984. I re-discovered Baseball, remembering how much I adored it.


35-5: An Oral History of the Amazing Start by the 1984 Detroit Tigers

The '84 Tigers: Where are they now?


Gibson got revenge on Gossage with historic homer in '84 World Series

1984 Detroit Tigers on Twitter: "4/10/1984: Home opener at Tiger ...

1984 Detroit Tigers "World Champions" Pinback Button.... Baseball ...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2007.24 - 10:10

- Days ago = 1848 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: