Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Monday, February 6, 2023

A Sense of Doubt blog post #2911 - Dazzle Ships, Remain in Light, and THE BUGGLES - Musical Monday shares for 2302.06



A Sense of Doubt blog post #2911 - Dazzle Ships, Remain in Light, and THE BUGGLES - Musical Monday shares for 2302.06

Today is a little different for a Music Monday. I am sharing three posts from one of my newly discovered and favorite blogs "Post Punk Monk."

I love discovering new blogs with active writers like this one. The Monk posts every week day. I love that he is very much on a similar schedule to mine, and he is much less prone to being behind schedule like I am.

I also share musical interests with the Monk. Most of his faves are also my faves.

I am not sure when and how I found the Monk. Probably an image search for a post I was creating.

But now I am a fan. I subscribed to his newsletter and have his blog in my RSS feed.

These three items caught my attention.

I am ashamed to admit that I was VERY late to the party in buying and coming to love OMD's Dazzle Ships. I only learned of the album in the last few years when I had re-discovered Saint Etienne as my main band that got me through the pandemic and what big fans they were of Dazzle Ships. When I heard of it, I was surprised that I had missed the follow up to my favorite OMD album Architecture and Morality. So, I bought it and have been listening for a couple of years. Great album. I may have to spring for this box set.

Prior to that post, the one in which the Buggles are touring and opening for Seal was exciting news; however, tickets are just too much to justify going mainly to see the opening band.

And lastly, I am much more tempted by Jerry Harrison and Adrian Belew touring with the Remain in Light album. Our show is at the Crystal Ballroom, so basically standing room only. Not sure yet if I am going to go.

BUT OH WOW WOW WOW... I love these artists, that album, and their associated content. Harrison's two solo albums, especially THE RED + THE BLACK are awesome!!

I added some music to the post in between the Monk's posts.

This is today's Music Monday.

Thanks for tuning in.


Against All Odds, The Buggles Will Tour America, Opening For Seal In 2023 Hits Tour

The Buggles [L-R]: Geoff Downes + Trevor Horn, as ever

Great Googley Moogley! I got a mind stunning message from my friend Mr. Ware this morning that demands I bump my planned posting for this breaking news. Hot on the heels of having read Trevor Horn’s zippy autobio, came the news that the reason why we paid attention to Horn in the first place, his band The Buggles, will be touring the world this year [and possibly next] as the opening act for ZTT star Seal‘s show celebrating 30 years of his first two albums.

Seal will be playing “Seal I” and Seal II” in their entirety, along with other setlist features, we’re sure. Since Seal has sold millions of those discs, and keeping in mind that Trevor Horn produced them, no doubt there was the budget to enlist Horn as the Music Director. At that point the notion of rounding up The Buggles to be the opening act wasn’t that great a leap! After all, Horn would be hand picking the band members for the Seal show. Having the same people play the opening set means that there won’t be much if any breakdown between sets.

And once I wrapped my head around the concept that The Buggles would actually be touring America in a few months, I got to thinking. If Trevor was there, I’m sure the budget for Geoff Downes could be found as well. According to Retropop, Downes will be there as well. So in a few months, two hours away from where I live The Freaking Buggles will actually be on tour with Seal, playing the opening set in what’s sure to be a fantastic sounding concert. As we know, Trevor Horn does nothing by half-measures!

And let’s place this in the right context. The Buggles never played any concerts when they were releasing records. The first Buggles live gig was at the 2004 “Produced By Trevor Horn” Prince’s Trust mega event at Wembley Stadium! Following that, I know of two other shows The Buggles played. A 2010 fund-raiser for the hospital where Horn’s then comatose wife lay in their care, and a 2011 Alison Moyet show at the O2, London. Then…nada. Until now. So what are those dates?

Seal + The Buggles | 2023 Tour | USA

April 25 | Phoenix, AZ | Arizona Financial Theatre
April 28 | Houston, TX | Bayou Music Center
April 29 | Austin, TX | Bass Concert Hall
April 30 | Dallas, TX | Music Hall at Fair Park
May 02 | New Orleans, LA | Saenger Theatre
May 04 | Charlotte, NC | Ovens Auditorium
May 06 | Atlanta, GA | Fox Theatre
May 07 | Louisville, KY | Louisville Palace
May 10 | Washington D.C. | The Anthem
May 11 | Philadelphia, PA | The Met
May 12 | Boston, MA Boch | Centre Wang Theatre
May 15 | Toronto, ON | Massey Hall
May 17 | Indianapolis, IN | Murat Theatre
May 19 | Minneapolis, MN | Orpheum Theatre
May 21 | Detroit, MI | Fox Theatre
May 23 | New York, NY | Beacon Theatre
May 26 | St. Louis, MO | Stifel Theatre
May 27 | Chicago, IL | Chicago Theatre
May 30 | Denver, CO | Bellco Theatre
June 02 | Las Vegas, NV | Venetian Theatre
June 03 | Las Vegas, NV | Venetian Theatre
June 06 | Oakland, CA | Paramount Theatre
June 07 | Los Angeles, CA | Greek Theatre
June 10 | Portland, OR | Keller Auditorium
June 12 | Seattle, WA | Paramount Theatre

Ooof! That’s soooooo tempting. Charlotte is just two hours away. But I really don’t feel comfortable seeing concerts now. I’m not sure I’ll ever do that again, the way things are looking. And I can guarantee that the pandemic will not miraculously evaporate in two months. So I really can’t see the formerly unthinkable: The Buggles will be playing a concert two hours away and I will not be attending. At the very least, I will be spared the nerve-shredding, wallet-gouging experience of buying tickets from TicketMonster.

But if you think otherwise, the tickets go on sale the Friday after next, January 27th. At the usual places I would prefer not to link to.

-30-








Want List: OMD’s 40th Anniversary ‘Dazzle Ships’ Gives Another Chance For The World To Catch Up

OMD dazzle Ships 40th anniversary maxi-bundle
The full merchandising campaign for “Dazzle Ships” is modest and sensible

Note: We’ve interrupted the “Rage In Eden” ultrabox thread today because we still have not had the time to listen carefully to the 5.1 mix of the album in detail. Let’s hope for that after this next weekend. In the meantime, here’s another PPM core collection band making reissue moves.

omd dazzle ships 25th DLX RM CD

Has it already been fifteen years since the 25th anniversary [see inset], DLX RM of OMD’s derided then but appreciated now, line-in-the-sand that was “Dazzle Ships?” Time flies when you’re battling existential threats common to the zany 21st century. In the interim, the reputation of the fascinating and challenging album has bee re-appraised, and there is a whole generation [or two] now, who have no idea that this album was what almost killed OMD’s career in 1983, but just as certainly, killed their artistic nerve from the period following it to the point in 2011 when they dared to pick up their instruments again in the studio after some time away from the hurly-burly of the music industry.

Today OMD have announced a 40th anniversary campaign for the album, and like the one for their top-selling 1981 release, “Architecture + Morality,” the band have resisted the more conventional thinking that results in the excessive ultrabox paradigm that can see an easy three figures to squeeze from fans who have to have it all. There are vinyl and CD options; available separately, to keep us from buying things we don’t necessarily want, thankyouverymuch. I can afford one or two ultraboxes a year on my stingy budget and have to pick my targets carefully. But what’s on offer this time is so straightforward and painless, I may even have the scratch to do a rare [for me] pre-order. What’s at stake here?

EXPANDED ALBUM: CD, 2XLP, 2X COLORED LP

BMG | UK | CD | 2023

OMD: Dazzle Ships DLX RM – UK – CD [2023]

  1. Radio Prague
  2. Genetic Engineering
  3. ABC Auto-Industry
  4. Telegraph
  5. This Is Helena
  6. International
  7. Dazzle Ships (Parts II, III And VII)
  8. The Romance Of The Telescope
  9. Silent Running
  10. Radio Waves
  11. Time Zones
  12. Of All The Things We’ve Made
  13. Telegraph – Very Early Demo / 1982
  14. Silent Running [Demo]
  15. Sold Our Souls [The Avenue Demo]
  16. Shakespeare ’82
  17. Untitled Instrumental ’82
  18. In Heaven Above [4- NEU Demo]
  19. Telegraph – Live 1984

The blue coloration of the 40th anniversary edition is the same as the original 1984 UK CD pressing of the album, which we still have in the Record Cell. It features what looks to be a completely different complement of bonus tracks from the 25th anniversary disc. Which had these songs instead.

  1. Telegraph [The Manor Version 1981]
  2. 4-Neu [Genetic Engineering B-side]
  3. Genetic Engineering [312MM Version]
  4. 66 And Fading [Telegraph B-side]
  5. Telegraph [Extended Version]
  6. Swiss Radio International

So the 25th anniversary edition contains the album and all of the tracks released on singles, plus two previously unreleased cuts. The 40th edition has the album and what appear to be all unreleased material concurrent with the campaign. I’m not sure how an “early demo from 1982” of “Telegraph” might be cruder than the polished Manor version from 1981, but we’ll see soon. In the case of these new materials, Paul Humphreys has curated and mixed them from his tape archives. The CD has my name on it, but those of a vinyl persuasion will be able to get the exact same material on two different LP formats.

OMD dazzle ships colored vinyl 2xLP
gatefold sleeve, colored vinyl edition

There’s a colored vinyl copy in a gatefold sleeve with discs in blue and gray pressings. For those who prefer black vinyl, there’s also another gatefold sleeve, this time with the same die cuts as the original 1983 UK pressing, as well as a litho print of the album art. What we used to call a “album flat” back when there was an ecosystem of viable record stores.

OMD dazzle ships 40th anniversary die cut 2xLP
the all important die-cut sleeve; decisions, decisions

OTHER MERCH

There are two pieces of merch that have also been issued, or in the case of the enamel badge below, reissued.

OMD enamel dazzle flag badge
This enamel flag pin was for sale on the 1983 merch table
This is a fiiiiiine design taken from the inner gatefold of the album

Or in the case of the t-shirt, issued anew. I really admire that t-shirt, but truth in obsession laws compel me to admit that I currently have six…no, seven OMD garments in my cornucopia of tour wear, so I hardly need another design in my home. The happiness is that none of these are particularly expensive. The official OMD store has all of this ranging from the £11.99 CD to the megabundle with everything at just £107.99. There are fractalized sub-bundles of every conceivable stripe with discounts applied, so knock yourselves out. The release date for all of this is March 31st, so it’s just around the corner. I just want that CD, but if you need any of this, then DJ hit that button.

post-punk monk buy button

-30-







Adrian Belew + Jerry Harrison Touring “Remain in Light” Across North America Imminently

two members of the Expanded Heads are reclaiming my favorite TVLKING HEVDS album on stages across North America soon

Yumpin’ Yimminy! I got an urgent message from chasinvictoria recently touting an event that I would normally love to attend: TVLKING HEVDS keyboardist Jerry Harrison and guest guitarist Adrian Belew will soon be touring behind a show that will draw primarily from “Remain In Light;” most fans’ [raises hand] favorite TVLKING HEVDS album. Just as with the infamous “Expanded Heads” touring band, they will have nine more humans to re-create the thick Afrofunk vibe along with them, using members of Funk band Turquaz as well as people like Julie Slick, who is normally Belew’s bassist.

As I never saw TVLKING HEVDS ever, and am a big enough fan of Jerry Harrison’s fine solo material [I have it all] I would have been adequately happy with a Harrison tour playing his material. Indeed, I consider “The Red + The Black” to be the perfect sequel to “Remain In Light” and better than anything The Heads did afterward. But noooooooo, he had to link up with secret weapon guitarist Belew and dangle this Organ Auction Live Event Monk-Bait in front of my eyes as if to taunt me. And then they had to book a date in my city. And finally they had to pick an outdoor venue that I would certainly attend any show at – pandemic be damned!

Tickets went on sale at 10:00 a.m. today and the only reason why I don’t already have mine is that I’ve been actively fighting a wildfire at work this morning. As you can see, I’m only now at lunch break at [timestamp 2:17 p.m.], so make of that what you will. The two had planned this in 2019 but pandemic scuttled everything, and I can only think that it’s a shame that they didn’t think of this a decade ago when they might have gotten the great Bernie Worrell to add his vitally necessary Moog spice to the mix, but better late than never.

My mind is racing not at only hearing that incredible music live with members of the original band, but “Remain In Light” is only eight songs. What else are they going to sweeten the pot with on that stage?! The official word from the band’s website says, “performing songs from this monumental period of the band’s history.” so I can only hope that two or three of the cuts from the even more intense “The Red + The Black” [where Belew also guested] might joining their spiritual brethren on that stage!

The odd thing was that this tour was announced late last year, and I never caught wind of it. Otherwise I would have posted on this much sooner, but it appears that the second leg of the tour is newly announced. The first leg begins in Colorado in less than two weeks and continues through March 11th in Connecticut. The spring leg begins on May 12th in California, and continues through June 20th in Florida. The band have VIP packages for those interested in going all the way to help the tour stay in the black. To wit:

  • One premium reserved ticket in the first 10 rows -OR- general admission ticket (where applicable)
  • VIP early entry into the venue
  • Exclusive pre-show meet & greet with Jerry Harrison & Adrian Belew
  • Personal photograph with Jerry Harrison & Adrian Belew
  • Intimate pre-show stories behind the music and Q&A with Jerry Harrison & Adrian Belew
  • Exclusive, limited edition Remain In Light poster, autographed by Jerry Harrison & Adrian Belew
  • Limited edition Remain In Light tour tote bag
  • Commemorative pre-show VIP laminate
  • Merchandise shopping opportunity before doors open to public
  • Very limited availability

So what are those dates?

ADRIAN BELEW + JERRY HARRISON

Remain In Light North American Tour 2023 | TOUR DATES

  • Feb 16, 2023 | Ogden Theatre | Denver, CO
  • Feb 17, 2023 | Boulder Theater | Boulder, CO
  • Feb 18, 2023 | Vilar Performing Arts Center | Beaver Creek, CO
  • Feb 21, 2023 | Tower Theatre | Oklahoma City, OK
  • Feb 22, 2023 | The Factory | St. Louis, MO
  • Feb 24, 2023 | First Avenue | Minneapolis, MN
  • Feb 25, 2023 | The Vic Theatre | Chicago, IL
  • Feb 26, 2023 | Egyptian Room at Old National Centre | Indianapolis, IN
  • Feb 27, 2023 | Goodyear Theater | Akron, OH
  • Feb 28, 2023 | Town Ballroom | Buffalo, NY
  • Mar 2, 2023 | The Danforth Music Hall | Toronto, ON
  • Mar 3, 2023 | Roxian Theatre | Pittsburg, PA
  • Mar 4, 2023 | Rams Head Live! | Baltimore, MD
  • Mar 5, 2023 | Starland Ballroom | Sayreville, NJ
  • Mar 7, 2023 | Keswick Theatre | Glenside, PA
  • Mar 8, 2023 | Empire Live | Albany, NY
  • Mar 9, 2023 | Sony Hall | New York, NY
  • Mar 10, 2023 | House of Blues Boston | Boston, MA
  • Mar 11, 2023 | College Street Music Hall | New Haven, CT
  • May 12, 2023 – May 14, 2023 | The Golden Road Gathering | Placerville, CA
  • May 13, 2023 – May 14, 2023 | Mill Valley Music Festival | Mill Valley, CA
  • May 16, 2023 | Neptune Theatre | Seattle, WA
  • May 17, 2023 | McMenamins Crystal Ballroom | Portland, OR
  • Jun 3, 2023 | Newport Music Hall | Columbus, OH
  • Jun 4, 2023 | The Majestic Theatre | Detroit, MI
  • Jun 6, 2023 | Brown’s Island | Richmond, VA
  • Jun 7, 2023 | Raleigh Memorial Auditorium | Raleigh, NC
  • Jun 9, 2023 | Rabbit Rabbit | Asheville, NC
  • Jun 10, 2023 | The Eastern | Atlanta, GA
  • Jun 11, 2023 | Township Auditorium | Columbia, SC
  • Jun 13, 2023 | Music Hall at Fair Park | Dallas, TX
  • Jun 14, 2023 | Moody Ampitheater | Austin, TX
  • Jun 16, 2023 | White Oak Music Hall Lawn | Houston, TX
  • Jun 17, 2023 | Mardi Gras World | New Orleans, LA
  • Jun 19, 2023 | Saenger Theatre | Mobile, AL
  • Jun 20, 2023 | Hard Rock Event Center | Tampa, FL

A caveat. I am more than just immune, I’m downright allergic to the notion of “tribute bands!” Ask my wife. I rail against them weekly when perusing the venue ads dominated by them in our local freekly. Indeed, nearby Knoxville [2 hours away] has their own Talking Heads cover band; Same As It Ever Was, that play here frequently enough that I had to look them up to verify if they were local or not!

But I can find myself admiring acts that are formed from one or more members, not touring under the name of the band they came from. For instance, I have wanted to see Woody Woodmansey’s Holy Holy [with Tony Visconti on bass, not to mention Glenn Gregory on vocals], playing the early Bowie music they recorded ages ago. And I have also been spellbound by the notion of Nick Mason of The Pink Floyd revisiting the pre-1972 music of that band with Floyd bassist extraordinaire Guy Pratt playing that Heavy-Psych Pink Floyd music that had much a stronger hold on me than their imperial period. They tour with Spandau Ballet’s Gary Kemp on vocals and guitar as Nick Mason’s Saucerful Of Secrets and I’d dearly love to see and hear that band!

So when I have Jerry Harrison and Adrian Belew in a tour playing my favorite TVLKING HEVDS album and then some, I’m there, bucko. Heck, I’d be there for either of them playing an outdoor date in 2023! But this is shaping up to be a rare treat, in more ways than one. So if this is calling out to you as well, then hit that button!

post-punk monk buy button

-30-







+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2302.06 - 10:10

- Days ago = 2775 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: