Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #385 - Star Trek Beyond, Kubrick, and Trailers: Dr. Strange, Wonder Woman, Star Trek Discovery, JLA, King Arthur, Rogue One, and Fantastic Beasts


Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #385 - Star Trek Beyond, Kubrick, and Trailers: Dr. Strange, Wonder Woman, Star Trek Discovery, JLA, King Arthur, Rogue One, and Fantastic Beasts

Hi Mom,

Today is dedicated to a BUNCH of trailers because San Diego Comic Convention was last week, and so LOTS of things are posted to You Tube now that they have been unveiled at the con. It's a big deal for the industry. It's become such a big deal that I may never go because it's just become too huge and ridiculous. Even Chicago's original summer con is out of control. I have not been to a con in years. I yearn for it. I plan to hit a small one this fall in nearby Jackson, but otherwise, I skip them.

So, much to her chagrin, Liesel agreed to see the movie I wanted to see on Sunday, which was Star Trek Beyond. She did not like it at all, and worse, she paid for it, so I owe her big time for her graciousness and love.

Here's what Scalzi wrote about the film: Scalzi review of Star Trek Beyond.

I pretty much agree with Scalzi here. It wasn't a great film, but it was a very good Star Trek film. It's just another episode in the new regime, the developing saga. I liked the tie-in between the previous crew and the new crew and the photo from what appeared to be Wrath of Khan.

I appreciate that Simon Pegg (Scotty) co-wrote this film.


And.... oh, spoiler. I won't. But a big thing happened. But then it was fixed.

Oh, what the Hell.

Okay, SPOILER ALERT. STOP READING!

Spoiler is next; I warned you.

The villains destroyed the Enterprise, starting with shearing off the nacelles. Very cool. Then the ship was cut at "the neck," separating the saucer section. Wow. Just as a fan, that whole sequence was very cool to watch.

Oh, and this, my friend Charles Skaggs' review: DAMN GOOD COFFEE...AND HOT REVIEW.

So, I didn't know about this conspiracy theory that the U.S. government hired Kubrick to film a fake moon landing after his success with 2001: A Space Odyssey. Kubrick's daughter debunks that ridiculous theory here:

OPEN CULTURE: Kubrick's daughter speaks to Moon Landing Conspiracy Theory


TRAILERS AND TRAILERS AND MORE TRAILERS FOR STUFF!

So here's a bunch of trailers. First up is the next Star Wars film, though not the next Star Wars chapter of the main story: Rogue One. It's the story of a bunch of rebels stealing the plans for the Death Star, which are used to blow it up in Star Wars: Episode Four: A New Hope. It looks good, and it stars Felicity Jones, with whom I became enamored in The Theory of Everything.  Rogue One will be released on December 16, 2016.

So, I am describe all the trailers and then the embedded videos follow.

Next up is Star Trek Discovery and the trailer showing off the new ship. Rumors have just arisen that a black woman may play the ship's captain. The show will premiere on the CBS network's main broadcast venues (all stations and cable TV), but all episodes following will be aired via CBS All Access, the company's new digital pay-to-view platform. However, I am excited to learn that 24 hours after each episode release, it will be available on Netflix, meaning I do not (as yet) have to subscribe to CBS All Access. CBS Discovery site. The show will premiere in January of 2017.

There's a new King Arthur movie by Guy Ritchie: King Arthur: the Legend of the Sword. It's due out in March of 2017 and features up and coming Brit action star Charlie Hunnam.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is the next film installment in the Harry Potter mythos about Newt Scamander (Eddie Redmayne), who comes to author the book of the same name as the film that our beloved characters studied at Hogwart's. The film is set before he writes the book in New York in 1926, and Eddie Redmayne is also an actor I came to love from The Theory of Everything, which connects back to the first trailer BECAUSE everything is connected. Redmayne also starred in a film that Liesel and I really liked called The Danish GirlFantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them will be released on November 18, 2016.

And so comic book stuff because, after all, that's the main meat and potatoes of my interests and probably the dominant subject matter on this blog one way or another. The new trailer for the film of Wonder Woman looks fantastic. The film will be released on June 2, 2017. I REALLY like Chris Pine (also play Captain Kirk in the new Star Trek films) as Steven Trevor.

I am probably most excited about the film for Doctor Strange and desperately hope it does not suck as the good doctor is one of my very favorite Marvel characters as I made painfully clear in my T-shirt blog, which I also reprinted here in Hey Mom #290. Due to be released on November 4, 2017 and starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Tilda Swinton among others, I will make a point to see it as soon as possible upon its release, which is not always possible given that I missed Civil War and the new X-Men films at the theater this year so far.

And so, also, the Justice League film trailer. Great stuff with Jason Momoa (Khal Drogo from Game of Thrones) as Aquaman. VERY COOL!!! There's no Superman in the trailer (to be played again by Henry Cavill) because the character died in the Superman-Batman film. But supposedly, Superman WILL be in the Justice League film, which will not be released until November 17, 2017.

And lastly two Netflix trailers, first Iron Fist, another favorite Marvel character of mine -- see T-shirt #27 -- will premiere in his own Netflix show some time in 2017.

But before that, and before we see the next season of Jessica Jones, we get Luke Cage on  September 30, 2016.

Despite the great critical and viewer success of the Netflix show for season one of Jessica Jones, season two is still TBA with rumors that it will not debut until 2017 at the earliest or possibly 2018 as some report it will not air until after the Netflix Defenders show.

Here's the trailers...














































+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

I miss you so very much, Mom.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 387 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1607.26 - 10:10

NOTE on time: When I post late, I had been posting at 7:10 a.m. because Google is on Pacific Time, and so this is really 10:10 EDT. However, it still shows up on the blog in Pacific time. So, I am going to start posting at 10:10 a.m. Pacific time, intending this to be 10:10 Eastern time. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom. But I am not going back and changing all the 7:10 a.m. times. But I will run this note for a while. Mom, you know that I am posting at 10:10 a.m. often because this is the time of your death.

No comments: