Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Sunday, October 1, 2017

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #817 - Weekly Update 1710.01 - One month in the new home

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #817 - Weekly Update 1710.01 - One month in the new home

Hi Mom,

So, I have been in the new house and the new state for a month.

Above is a picture of our future back yard lawn. The hydro-seeding happened yesterday.

It also happens to be the last day of Baseball season.

As a Detroit Tigers fan, this day is very disappointing. The Detroit Tigers finished with a 64-98 record, the most losses for the team since 2003 (43-119).

I am always sad on the last day of Baseball season as I enjoy the daily Baseball games, Tigers games especially. There will be no more Tigers games until April (not counting spring training), and with the regular season over, there are fewer games as the post-season begins.

I am excited (and hopeful) that my other favorite team, the Chicago Cubs, have made the post season. I hope they do well, though I am not holding my breath for another World Series title. Like last year, I did not dare believe that they could do it, and they hardly dominated. Squeaking out a win in Game Seven near the end of the game against a formidable Cleveland Indians team -- a team that now looks even better -- was nothing short of a miracle. I dare not hope for another miracle. But there will be at least four games with the Cubs in October, and for that, especially given the team's struggles this season and the dismal outlook at mid-season, I am very grateful.

Endings are affecting me more than usual this year, right now. Moving across the country has not only been a stressful and difficult enterprise,  but it's been an emotional experience as well. I am still unpacking all the feelings associated with it. Though I am excited to start a new life in a new home and a new place with my wife and family, I am also sad about what I have left behind, I miss many elements of the familiar and the comfortable.

But I am adjusting.

It's not like I am "uncomfortable" here, but I am not even fully unpacked yet, still, a month into this new life.

I feel hopeful for my new life, much like I feel hopeful about the Cubs. But I am not holding my breath. There's still so much to do and so much to learn and explore. It's exciting, but it's also a little daunting.

If unpacking was not enough, we're hydro-seeding the back yard, so I have a new chore: watering. We must keep the hydro-seeding moist, which means watering 3-4 times a day. The guys helped me set up sprinklers, the oscillating, shooting type, and I feel we have good coverage to keep the yard wet though as the sun moves some parts dry faster than others. It's going to be a challenge.

BACK YARD - FOR COMPARISON





That's all for today (which is really the next day, Monday).

Happy first day of October.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you, Mom.

I miss you so very much, Mom.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 818 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1710.01 - 10:10

NEW (written 1708.27) NOTE on time: I am now in the same time zone as Google! So, when I post at 10:10 a.m. PDT to coincide with the time of your death, Mom, I am now actually posting late, so it's really 1:10 p.m. EDT. But I will continue to use the time stamp of 10:10 a.m. to remember the time of your death, Mom. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom.

No comments: