Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #1066 - Greatest Leap - 50th anniversary of Apollo


Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #1066 - Greatest Leap - 50th anniversary of Apollo

Hey Mom,

You know how much I love space and space exploration, especially the Apollo missions.

You know my apocryphal story -- termed as such as it may not be strictly true -- that in 1969, I was not interested in learning subtraction when the Apollo missions were in process. Though the actual first moon landing and walk, Apollo 11, happened in July of 1969, Apollo missions 8-10 all happened during the school year. As my story goes, I brought our black and white TV from home until the teacher started bringing hers, so that we could watch the lunar flights for the first manned flight to the moon (Apollo 8 - Dec 21–27, 1968), first manned flight with Lunar Module included, earth orbit (Apollo 9 - Mar 3–13, 1969), and the "dress rehearsal" (Apollo 10 - May 18–26, 1969), all of which we could and I believe we did watch in the class room before the first landing by Apollo 11 July 16–24, 1969.

So, imagine how happy I was to find this very well done video series published by the great tech site Ars Technica, meant to cater to Alpha Geeks, now owned by Condé Nast  and Wired.

I did want to be an astronaut from a very young age.

This is great stuff.

I have the third episode at the top of the group followed by all six episodes, but the third is the one on the Apollo 11 landing. At least, check that one out.

See the good ABOUT US for Ars Technica there.

Here's all the article links from the site:

Ep.1 article
https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/12/apollo-risk/

Ep.2 article
https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/12/apollo-guts/

Ep.3 article
https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/12/apollo-triumph/

Ep.4 article
https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/01/the-greatest-leap-part-4-catching-apollo-fever-as-a-new-nasa-employee/

Ep.5 article
https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/02/the-greatest-leap-part-5-saving-the-crew-of-apollo-13/

Ep.6 article
https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/02/the-greatest-leap-part-6-after-apollo-nasa-still-searching-for-an-encore/




Episode 3 of "The Greatest Leap" takes a look at the achievements of Apollo 11, the seminal spaceflight that landed mankind on the moon.

In honor of the 50th anniversary of the beginning of the Apollo Program, Ars Technica brings you an in depth look at the Apollo missions through the eyes of the participants.


ALL SIX EPISODES IN GREATEST LEAP SERIES




















+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you, Mom.

I miss you so very much, Mom.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 1068 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1806.06 - 10:10

NEW (written 1708.27) NOTE on time: I am now in the same time zone as Google! So, when I post at 10:10 a.m. PDT to coincide with the time of your death, Mom, I am now actually posting late, so it's really 1:10 p.m. EDT. But I will continue to use the time stamp of 10:10 a.m. to remember the time of your death, Mom. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom.

No comments: