Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Monday, June 25, 2018

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #1085 - Flag Day - A Stone's Throw Away - Musical Monday for 1806.25

Truman Brewery - Brick Lane - London - 1970s
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/205547170470203224/
Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #1085 - Flag Day - A Stone's Throw Away - Musical Monday for 1806.25


"Too many Florence Nightingales not enough Robin Hoods."

Hi Mom,

Last week when I started thinking about this week's Musical Monday, I realized that I had let Flag Day get by without a post using "Flag Day" by the Housemartins.

I have been more political lately, and so I felt it was time for another politically charged post.

I have always found such greater resonance with the musical art of the Brits, especially when it comes to political comment. And though some of the greatest voices are conspicuously absent from this post (like the Clash and the Who), these omissions are simply due to the place I started, which was with the Housemartins and Paul Weller.

The song "Flag Day" makes me immediately think of both "A Stone's Throw Away" and the even more gut piercing "The Whole Point of No Return," both of which were tunes Paul did with the Style Council.

And so, I follow in my theme of inclusions of other music by those artists. This mix is heavy on the Housemartins and Paul Heaton's other band the Beautiful South with six of the twenty tracks from those two groups and then three by Paul Weller, which at nine make up almost half the tunes in this mix.

I have to admit that The Beautiful South is a band that I had not explored much. I own a couple of things, including a greatest hits. I knew the band featured Paul Heaton, and I liked somethings, such as "The Tupperware Queen," which I did not put in this mix.

As I began assembling, I wanted an emphasis on '80s music but not exclusively 1980s sounds as the Beautiful South though established in 1988 was a band for all of the 1990s and most of the 2000s. But I do have an emphasis on 1980s sounds with bands that either started in the '80s or were big in the '80s, such as   Dream Academy, Killing Joke, New Order, Joe Jackson, Haircut 100, the Cure, Cocteau Twins, and even They Might Be Giants (though a newer cut from them), formed in the Eighties but arguably really hit it in 1990 with Flood.

I have other musicians and groups, some who started in the 1980s technically, like MOBY but some more recent artists, such as Lykke Li and Max Richter. I wanted to add some new videos as a counterpoint to the older stuff, so Moby's and Max Richter videos are brand new, like just a few days ago.

Wiki note on the Max Richter video:

In 2016, Richter composed the score to "Nosedive", an episode of Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror. Also that year, he scored Luke Scott's debut feature Morgan and the political thriller Miss Sloane, while his piece "On the Nature of Daylight" opened and closed Denis Villeneuve's film Arrival. He composed all the music in BBC One's drama Taboo which was broadcast in January and February 2017.[61]

I wanted a mix that would fit together both thematically in many ways in terms of sound, though as with many of my mixes there are often jarring switches of rhythm and pace, such as the switch between The Beautiful South's "I'll Sail This Ship Alone" and New Order's "Bizarre Love Triangle," mainly because  the video by i'm cyborg but that's ok is awesome.

Some of these mixes comes together quickly, but I am rather proud of this one. It's tight.

Best to you all.

Hold tight.

We're all in this together.

Following some notes, the track lists along with the URL link to the whole mix on YOU Tube, then each video individually and lastly the embedded video link for the entire playlist.

HOUSEMARTINS NOTES: The band was formed in 1983 by Paul Heaton (vocals), Stan Cullimore (guitar), Ted Key (bass) and Chris Lang (drums). The band's membership changed quite a lot over the years. Ted Key was replaced by Norman Cook — the future Fatboy Slim — and drummer Chris Lang was replaced by Hugh Whitaker, former drummer with The Gargoyles, who in turn was replaced with Dave Hemingway.
In 1986, having recorded two John Peel sessions, the band broke through with the single "Happy Hour", which reached No.3 in the UK charts. The single's success was helped by a claymation animated pop promo of a type that was in vogue at the time, featuring a cameo by TV comedian Phill Jupitus, who toured with the band under the stage name "Porky the Poet". At the end of the same year, they narrowly missed out on the Christmas No.1 single with a cover version of Isley Jasper Isley's "Caravan of Love", when it was knocked off the top spot by Jackie Wilson's "Reet Petite" on 23 December

Flag Day - A Stone's Throw Away - Musical Monday for 1806.25

1. The Housemartins - "Flag Day" - 5:18
2. The Style Council - "A Stones Throw Away" - 2:40
3. Joe Jackson - "Steppin' Out" - 3:37
4. Lykke Li - "I Never Learn / So Sad So Sexy" - Primavera Sound 2018 7:50
5. The Beautiful South - "A Little Time" - 3:02
6. Haircut 100 - "Favourite Shirt (Boy Meets Girl)" TOP OF THE POPS 1981 - 3:03
7. Killing Joke - "Kings And Queens" - 3:53
8. The Housemartins - "Anxious" - 2:12
9. Dream Academy - "Life In A Northern Town" (Official Music Video) - 4:15
10. Moby - "The Sorrow Tree" (EastWest Session) by Moby - 3:48
11. Max Richter - On The Nature Of Daylight by Max Richter - 6:37
12. They Might Be Giants - "The Greatest" (Official Video) - 2:44
13. Paul Weller - "The Loved" (HD) - 4:30
14. The Cure - "A Forest" * first ever TV performance Dec 79 - by The Cure PL - 4:03
15. The Beautiful South - "I'll Sail This Ship Alone" (Original Video) - 4:09
16. New Order - "Bizarre Love Triangle" by i'm cyborg but that's ok - 4:19
17. The Housemartins - "Sheep" - 2:11
18. Cocteau Twins - Carolyn's Fingers (Official Video) by 4AD - 3:05
19. Paul Weller Live - The Whole Point Of No Return (HD) - 2:42
20. THE HOUSEMARTINS - "Happy Hour" - 3:11

THE VIDEOS














































+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

EMBEDDED LINK TO ENTIRE PLAYLIST



+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you, Mom.

I miss you so very much, Mom.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 1087 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1806.25 - 10:10

NEW (written 1708.27) NOTE on time: I am now in the same time zone as Google! So, when I post at 10:10 a.m. PDT to coincide with the time of your death, Mom, I am now actually posting late, so it's really 1:10 p.m. EDT. But I will continue to use the time stamp of 10:10 a.m. to remember the time of your death, Mom. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom.

No comments: