Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Tuesday, September 3, 2019

A Sense of Doubt blog post #1659 - Argument Subject Paragraph - Concordia University


 A Sense of Doubt blog post #1659 - Argument Subject Paragraph - Concordia University

So, hungry as I am to make my daily post, I am once again turning to school work. I already shared this content with my students, so it's not content to which I meed to direct them. Though I am adamant that I am never requiring them to read my blog, I am tricky and add lots of examples and materials on it that ensure that many of them look at it.

Here's tomorrow's assignment:

- INJUSTICE PARAGRAPH Typed or handwritten - due on paper 9/4 - requirements as per class instructions and as explained here. I am going to share a sample following the next two sections (caveats and look ahead). In short, write a single paragraph of five-eight sentences that describes your chosen subject (an injustice), some thoughts on how you might argue it, some thoughts on why you chose it, and the data (author, title, link) of one OPINION source related to this subject, even if it expresses a view opposite of what at this time you believe your own to be.

And, then, I wrote a sample. It needs work, but it's okay.


- INJUSTICE PARAGRAPH SAMPLE AND EXPLANATION

I have chosen to write about Black Lives Matter, an activist movement meant to change the murder of often unarmed black men by police and civilian vigilantes. Since I do not identify as African-American myself, I plan to examine this issue through the lens of white privilege, an issue I have been thinking about a lot since my high school teacher assigned us to read Peggy McIntosh’s “White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack” (see link to follow). It appalls me that racism still exists in our culture such that the lives of people of color are so undervalued and dismissed that in the face of so many people being gunned down in their cars, in the street, all over that the public outcry has not been louder and has not shaken the nation to its foundation. Despite identifying as Caucasian this issue really matters to me, mainly because of how it’s an issue that I do not face, which makes me care about it even more because of travesty of the obvious racism. The racial divide over this issue became clear to me with a blog post I created entitled “I am not afraid of the police, but maybe you should be” (link to follow), in which I reprinted the opinion column science fiction novelist John Scalzi published on his blog (link to follow) called “Police and Me and Philando Castille.” This article opened my eyes because I have never been afraid that I would get shot when I am pulled over by the police for a broken tail light or even speeding. And yet, that’s just because I am white, and young, white men are not being killed in high numbers even when complying with police instructions. I hope to open people’s eyes, mainly white people, that privilege which we take for granted protects us, and so maybe we should be part of the solution to aid those who this privilege based on skin color does not protect.




Opinion column:

John Scalzi, from WHATEVER BLOG, “Police and Me and Philando Castille.” 


Found via
Chris Tower, Sense of Doubt blog.
“Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #371 - I am not afraid of the police, but maybe you should be.”


also:
Peggy McIntosh’s “White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack” 




EXPLANATION FOR STUDENTS: Okay, so this part is not part of the paragraph. Mine is probably a bit more extensive than what you will create. I do not expect all of you to have an extra source connection as I have shared unless something occurs to you. I have been studying this issue for some time, and like many issues, I have these connections handy. (Plus, I am trying to teach you.) What to see in my paragraph is the statement of the essay subject at this stage, which is clearly somewhat unfocused. Also, I provide some reasons why I have chosen the subject. Lastly, I share the opinion column I found with some indication of who has written it (not super extensive) and a little bit about the column. No need to do a full blown summary here, but your communication of some of its content may be a bit longer than mine. I stopped short of sharing more as my paragraph had already topped out at 329 words, even though it is all just shared in seven sentences.

Yours does not need to be exactly like mine, but I wanted to give you some idea of how and what to create for Wednesday 9/4.


That's all.

And now I am caught up for the first time in a week.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1909.03 - 10:10

- Days ago = 1522 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: