Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Sunday, June 9, 2024

A Sense of Doubt blog post #3400 - 3400th and Blog Recap



A Sense of Doubt blog post #3400 - 3400th and Blog Recap

This image has nothing to do with this post being #3400 and the 3262nd consecutive post that started as HEY MOM for three years (2015-2018) and is now just Sense of Doubt.

Today is a blog recap in honor of post #3400.

I am ensconced in my office on a leisurely Sunday morning during which I slept in, did my usual morning sports review, and reading of news and newsletters, and then had eggs and toast for breakfast.

I am now watching two Baseball games at the same time, one on my second desktop computer and the other on my phone -- Tigers vs. Brewers and Cubs vs. Reds.

Though the 3400th post does not seem to be a ground-shaking milestone, I like taking these large, round number opportunities 

Here's some (though not all) of the past blog recaps.



Friday, May 1, 2020

Sunday, December 30, 2018

Sunday, February 28, 2016




Here's my current stats:



Now, how many of those views both all-time and current are actual humans and not bots? I have no idea. It would be great if there was a way to measure that kind of thing.





I am always impressed with these totals, as I do not often look at the stats. 848 views for the week is exciting, and I hope some are real readers given what I have been posting.


I am always surprised when older posts suddenly get a bunch of views. What causes that?

The first post (unnumbered) about the TV show Heroes always gets a lot of hits and is probably the number one most viewed post (I will confirm in a minute -- and yes, its true).

But why did #s 3163 and 3175 suddenly get a lot of hits? Well, when looking at the all time stats, something about these posts brings either real people or bots or both.


I find it fascinating looking at this list. For some reason, #s 3163 and 3175 have soared into second and third place as posts with the most all-time views.

The other posts with large numbers of views also fascinates me. I am not surprised that a post about Buffy the Vampire Slayer is one such post, but why the others?

The one that really fascinates me is the number of views for my Shower Mix, as in a mix of music to play when showering.

Looking at the all time graph, something weird happened last year on August 31st.



That spike represents 2308.31 and a total of 85,982 on THAT DAY.

Weird.

I think that's bots. But...

Difficult to say that the spike on that day is due to the post published on August 31st, 2023, as sometimes, I do NOT post my blog post on the day.

And on that day, I was still in Michigan, so the post was some vacation post. Some quickie. Let's see what it was.

Okay, maybe.

Given the subject of this shared article it could gain a lot of hits on its own.

I do post first to Twitter with hash tags, and then cross post to Instagram that sends through to Facebook.

Looking at the last six months, give me this spread:

These stats look back to December of 2023 as a view of the last six months as June 2024 is not yet over.

Big spikes at the end of last year, spiking at 3078 on December 29th, 2023, when this was the post, one I have shared with many people:

Friday, December 29, 2023

But that post itself is not ranked highly in views in the months since. So that post is not the cause of that spike. 

That post only has 31 views since I published it.

Still, posts below with high view counts encourage me that many are real readers, often finding my post via Google search, such as the high numbers for the Rhetorical triangle and Anne Sexton posts whereas the high numbers for WWIII and Comic Book Art posts may be the spikes with the initial transmissions to social media, possibly, Twitter.

In looking at the stats of the sources of the views, Google search reigns above all else and Twitter is second.

I was getting a lot of views from Canvas but that's gone now as I have been scrubbing my blog out of my class spaces, which is indeed true when I look at sources for the last year.

Even with Twitter second in raw numbers, over the last year, that's only 473 views.

POST VIEWS LAST SIX MONTHS




But as I have written, I am not doing this work for readers, it's really just for me.

I am happy to have readers. I am very happy to know I have readers because you comment, email me, message me on social media, or mention it in person.

It's a joy for me engage in this activity, even if it is often NOT very or entirely not original.

Sometimes it is.

I do what I can to keep a daily regimen, which is a practice I like.

BTW, if you do math, then there's not 3400 days in about nine years. It's more like 3262 from the start of the HEY MOM daily, but there were some extra posts, around 150 such, that brings the count to 3400 as of today.

It's been a great (nearly) nine year run. I hope to keep doing it for nine more.

Thanks as always for tuning in.

COVER GALLERY

Just some recently downloaded comic book art to justify the COMIC BOOK SUNDAY tag, even though I officially posted Comic Book Sunday two days ago on Friday.








+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2406.09 - 10:10

- Days ago = 3264 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: