Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Saturday, September 2, 2017

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #788 - Goodbye JV




Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #788 - Goodbye JV

Hi Mom,

Still in catch up mode, and I am off the trip, move, unpacking posts for today at least.

I am happy for Justin Verlander, but also sad that he will no longer be a Tiger. However, if an American League team wins this year, and since it won't be the Tigers, I would love for it to be the Houston Astros.

I actually wrote a quick message to the listserve for Tigers fans, on which I lurk but post rarely.

The post expresses my thoughts, but then, here's an ESPN article, too, from the smart and erudite Buster Olney.

I know you would be sad, too, Mom. You always liked JV, thought he was the cutest of all the Tigers.

More later.

Hi, Chris Tower here coming out of lurk mode.

I agree also. JV is my favorite Tiger on this team for last 11 years. I was happy when he was not traded before the July deadline, but now very sad that he is no longer a Tiger.
I do hope he at least does well in the playoffs and may win the world series, especially if the Cubs are out of it, and/or he has a chance to beat the Dodgers or Nationals.

Still, I hope the Tigers got good value for him. And maybe, like the with Maddux and others, he can end his career with his original team a few years from now.

I do see all your posts guys... back to lurking.

-chris

http://www.espn.com/blog/buster-olney/insider/post/_/id/17298/olney-justin-verlanders-departure-marks-the-end-of-an-era-for-tigers

Olney: Verlander's departure marks the end of an era for Tigers


Detroit Tigers general manager Al Avila scouted Justin Verlander in the spring of 2004, when Verlander pitched for Old Dominion on a day that Avila recalls as cold and overcast. Verlander struggled and threw a lot of pitches, and Avila, watching from the stands, assumed that a reliever would be summoned for the sixth or seventh inning.
“He ended up going nine innings,” Avila said, “still throwing 100 mph late in the game.”
The Tigers selected Verlander with the second overall pick in the draft that year, and Avila was in the room when Verlander signed that first contract. Avila’s son, Alex Avila, would become Verlander’s personal catcher, the two growing so close that the families of Alex and Justin vacationed together. So with all of that history, the goodbye between Verlander and Al Avila, after the Detroit GM traded Verlander at midnight Thursday, was more than a formal handshake. It was more like seeing off a nephew moving to another part of the country.
“We hugged like three times in the clubhouse today,” said Avila, speaking from his office Friday evening.
Sentiment has been pushed to the side out of necessity in Detroit, to the degree that Avila also traded his son, among many other players. J.D. Martinez was the first to go, followed by Justin WilsonJustin Upton and Verlander.
Justin Verlander made his major league debut with the Tigers in 2005, playing his first full season in Detroit in 2006. Paul Sancya/AP Photo














+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

I miss you so very much, Mom.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = ## days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - date - time

NEW (written 1708.27) NOTE on time: I am now in the same time zone as Google! So, when I post at 10:10 a.m. PDT to coincide with the time of your death, Mom, I am now actually posting late, so it's really 1:10 p.m. EDT. But I will continue to use the time stamp of 10:10 a.m. to remember the time of your death, Mom. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom.

No comments: