Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Friday, September 8, 2017

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #794 - Portland - Mississippi Avenue - First Explorations

Historic Mississippi Avenue, Portland, OR
Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #794 - Portland - First Explorations

Hi Mom,

Interurban_CRESTglowfloat.pngSo, when Liesel got out of work on Thursday, yesterday, she suggested that we go in to Portland for dinner.

We went to Mississippi Avenue, a historic neighborhood, off the Swan Island exit.

Without any consideration, we stopped in at the first place we passed called Interurban, Publican's Table.

My phone called this "Boise" as the place location.

As you see the Interurban logo (right) calls the location the Lower Albina District.








































We ate appetizer meats, olives, almonds, chicken wings, and salads and had delicious cocktails. Mine was a Bourbon Mint Punch.

The food was great and reasonably priced with artful though not overly ample portions. I would go back here. More even than the delicious food and drinks, I loved the atmosphere and the feel of the place.


The special happy hour menu was printed artfully on a hand bill, and the full menu was stored in old style medical folder  (photo below).


The decor (below) is in the style of old public houses of Britain but with a modern flair. We ate upstairs. I learned that "Publican" was originally a tax collector in old Roman times but eventually came to mean someone who runs an inn (open to the public, clearly) in Britain. I moved the camera in my photo here, but I like the effect it provided.


Across the street, I saw this sign and took a picture (below), which I then posted to Instagram/Facebook. I am loving the sensibilities of people in the PACNW. I wanted to affirm that I am starting to feel that these people are my people because we share sensibilities. I mentioned "my tribe" in reference to 10,000 Maniacs and some conversations I have had, though the idea itself -- calling these people "my tribe" -- is not my original idea.


We did a little shopping. I did not take pictures of everything. But in one store, The Meadow, we saw Gwen Frostic cards. You remember, Mom, Gwen Frostic is a famous Michigan artist. We've been to her studio in northern Michigan, Benzonia. There are reminders of Michigan everywhere here.


And then we had Blue Star donuts.



We tried to go in Bridge City Comics, which is right next to the Meadow and Blue Star Donuts, but there was "back in 5" sign on the door. Another time.



All in all, I was very impressed with this neighborhood and can't wait to go back. There are many cool neighborhoods like this one and literally, some 5000 restaurants in metro Portland.

I hope we go back soon and do more exploring.

As I wrote yesterday, I am in a new phase with the blog. Most of the posts will be about my new home, unpacking, moving, the trip west, and new explorations of Vancouver, Portland, and surrounding areas. I know you are always interested, Mom, and love the show and tell. I hope other readers who venture here are interested as well.

Thank you for checking out this blog entry.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

I miss you so very much, Mom.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 796 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1709.08 - 10:10

NEW (written 1708.27) NOTE on time: I am now in the same time zone as Google! So, when I post at 10:10 a.m. PDT to coincide with the time of your death, Mom, I am now actually posting late, so it's really 1:10 p.m. EDT. But I will continue to use the time stamp of 10:10 a.m. to remember the time of your death, Mom. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom.

Love that classic Rexall sign - Historic Mississippi Avenue, Portland, OR

No comments: