Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Tuesday, June 9, 2020

A Sense of Doubt blog post #1939 - Why is it so hard for white people to talk about racism?


A Sense of Doubt blog post #1939 - Why is it so hard for white people to talk about racism?

Three articles to share with a link to a fourth among many other links for continued reading or more information.

Two of the articles were published before the murder of George Floyd on May 25th. I already had those two articles queued up here in my set of draft blog entries, ready to post.

Having this content ready does not prove I am prophetic or the authors -- Robin DiAngelo and Melanie Mallon -- are prophetic. It simply proves that race and racism are important issues in our world, especially our American country and culture.

First, I am sharing an article Dr. Ron DiAngelo wrote for The Good Men Project published on Medium. There's also these graphics that explain much of (not all of) what's contained in that article, which redacts her book White Fragility, which has been on my to-read list for well over a year, maybe closer to two years. As you can imagine, these books have moved to the top of the list.

White people need to confront these issues around privilege and racism, work to be anti-racist instead of simply "not racist," and deal with implicit bias and near invisible privilege no matter how uncomfortable it makes them, makes us. I include myself in this process, and I have been working to really own these values and make them reality.

The Melanie Mallon article from Skepchick collects Twitter posts by Michael Harriot about the history of racism in America and doesn't even share all of them, so one must click the link at the end to read the rest.

Lastly, there's an article written and published, again on Medium, since George Floyd's murder by Taylor Alarcón. The article explores Alcaron's struggles with the issue and what we can all do, though mostly we white people, to help.

WE MUST HELP actively and ardently not passively.

Do not scroll on by.

Participate in your world.















https://medium.com/equality-includes-you/white-fragility-why-its-so-hard-to-talk-to-white-people-about-racism-473d91b5091c

White Fragility: Why It’s so Hard To Talk to White People About Racism

Here’s why white people implode when talking about race.


Sep 26, 2019 · 9 min read



Photo by Grégoire Bertaud on Unsplash

  • People of color talking directly about their own racial perspectives (challenge to white taboos on talking openly about race);
  • People of color choosing not to protect the racial feelings of white people in regards to race (challenge to white racial expectations and need/entitlement to racial comfort);
  • People of color not being willing to tell their stories or answer questions about their racial experiences (challenge to the expectation that people of color will serve us);
  • A fellow white not providing agreement with one’s racial perspective (challenge to white solidarity);
  • Receiving feedback that one’s behavior had a racist impact (challenge to white racial innocence);
  • Suggesting that group membership is significant (challenge to individualism);
  • An acknowledgment that access is unequal between racial groups (challenge to meritocracy);
  • Being presented with a person of color in a position of leadership (challenge to white authority);
  • Being presented with information about other racial groups through, for example, movies in which people of color drive the action but are not in stereotypical roles, or multicultural education (challenge to white centrality).
  • Challenging our own racial reality by acknowledging ourselves as racial beings with a particular and limited perspective on race.
  • Attempting to understand the racial realities of people of color through authentic interaction rather than through the media or unequal relationships.
  • Taking action to address our own racism, the racism of other whites, and the racism embedded in our institutions — e.g., get educated and act.

Help stop Racism, Sexism and Homophobia. Become a Member. Join our social interest group calls.

***


Raised unshackled hands


https://skepchick.org/2020/02/the-evolution-of-racism-in-america/

The Evolution of Racism in America


  Root
  
One of the most popular misconceptions about black history is that over time, America has gradually become less racist and more tolerant.

That is not true.

Since y'all want a BHM thread, here's a thread about the evolution of racism in America.


  
  
 
 
 
  
   
  this thread on Twitter

Melanie Mallon


Melanie is a freelance editor and writer living in a small town outside Minneapolis with her husband, two kids, dog, and two cats. When not making fun of bad charts or running the Uncensorship Project, she spends her time wrangling commas, making colon jokes, and putting out random dumpster fires. You can find her on Twitter as @MelMall, on Facebook, and on Instagram.



https://medium.com/equality-includes-you/what-do-white-people-think-when-they-see-black-people-murdered-on-the-internet-b2138256bbc7

What Do White People Think When They See Black People Murdered on the Internet?

White people have the privilege of ignoring the videos; how do we get them to care?



May 27 · 5 min read



My heart hurts. My brain hurts. It’s nothing but unfair.
Within the black community across the country, we’re seeing with time: you can try to avoid it, but there is no way to escape being black in American society. Clearly, it doesn’t matter if you’re poor or rich, uneducated or college graduated, mixed or full. If you’re black, you’re black, and you’re going to see it, if not in your day-to-day life then surely on your timeline.
As this continues to happen, I continue to see an increasing influx of people of color having their “wake up” moment, treating their Twitter feeds how James Baldwin treated his notebook. I can’t help but think of the raw, dark humor I often see on ‘black Twitter’ in particular:
“Have we tried capturing footage of police killing dogs on camera? Have we tried that approach to get white people to start caring?”
I see lots of colorful profile pictures making colorfully bold statements, but I continue to beg the question: how do my white friends feel about all this?
After all, they’re awfully silent.




What do white people think when they see someone, anyone, killed in a video?
And in particular, what do white people think when they see black people, week in and week out for years now, being murdered on the internet?




Ican tell you how I feel, although with a little reflection and empathy, I’m sure you’d guess.
And let it be known that I am speaking from my own experience, and that my thoughts alone do not speak for the entire black community at large here.
I feel sick to my stomach, like I’m going to throw up. I feel dizzy, lightheaded, and groggy — an inability to focus on whatever task I have at hand at any given moment in time. Complementing the physical conditions, I also feel an overwhelming mixture of fear for my life, sadness for those lost, and anger towards the perpetrators. They say the moment before you die, your life flashes before your eyes. I can tell you right now that every time a person of color is killed at the hands of law enforcement, and in particular when the murder is caught on video, my life flashes before my eyes.




Itis my personal belief that no one deserves to die, whether or not that person is “guilty” or innocent; I am a believer in schools over prisons, in education over reprimand.
So when I see human beings, black, brown or otherwise, murdered in cold blood, often in the streets of their own neighborhood and surrounded by their community, I immediately think about my own circumstance, or that of my loved ones, my closest friends, my little brother and loved ones, who also certainly do not deserve it but at any given moment can lose their lives at the hands of the very people designated to serve & protect them. I think about walking through the subway in New York City in 2016 and passing by two [white] police officers who give me a grim look up and down, each with a firm grip on the respective handguns on their waists, mentally assessing whether or not I am “trouble.” I think about my 9-year-old brother running around the playground or the mall, being falsely accused of doing something he didn’t do; after all, Emmitt Till was only 14. I think of my black best friend being pulled over in the dark of night in the middle of Iowa during a cross-country road trip, and how much of a surprise it was when we got let off with a warning. I think about how at any point in time, I could be running through the neighborhood on a jog and be assumed a thief, and that, without any opportunity to defend my innocence, can be pursued and executed as such.




Ican go on and on, but for the most part, I think white people can figure this out for themselves, if they just gave it some serious thought:
Maybe, imagine a war going on outside; you can’t leave your house because you are in fear of your safety because, say, the Taliban has entered the United States and are going around stopping, frisking, and in the worst scenario killing helpless, innocent Americans.
For black people, the police are the biggest, scariest gang there is.
For black people, the police are like the Taliban. They are terrorists and murderers. Trust me — I know how powerful of a claim that is, but I promise, I am not speaking in hyperbole.
And you know what the scariest part is? Police actually get away with it.



SO what do white people think of all this? Do they avoid videos like many people of color do to avoid the trauma? Do they watch the videos, think “man, that’s crazy,” then keep scrolling? Or do you actually speak up, knowing that anyone being murdered is still a murder, and that especially in the hands of law enforcement, something is clearly wrong with the justice system. Or maybe, just maybe, they turn a blind eye because they think black people had it coming.


Amidst this election year, I’ve been having many critical conversations with friends and family and closely monitoring online forums like the New York Times comments sections. Part of my analysis is that it has become a very apparent and uniquely American attitude that if an issue doesn’t directly apply to you, then it doesn’t matter (even though there are ways you can help). It happens with healthcare, it happens with immigration, and it very much happens with police brutality.
As important as the videos are, they have become numbing and overwhelming. But because I am black, I do not have the privilege of ignoring them.
Obviously it’s time for more swift and rigorous action, but first, somehow, we need to invite non-black people to the dialogue, and hopefully (*fingers crossed*) get them to care.






+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2006.09 - 10:10

- Days ago = 1803 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: