Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Friday, September 13, 2024

A Sense of Doubt blog post #3496 - Obituary of Robert Tower - June 26, 1935 - August 28, 2024

1973 - Mackinac, Grand Hotel


A Sense of Doubt blog post #3496 - Obituary of Robert Tower - June 26, 1935 - August 28, 2024

I realized I had not yet published Dad's obituary. I have not read it, either.

To be fair, I read it years ago when he wrote it and he sought some editing advice from me. I did not give him a tough edit.

I wanted to find a good picture of my Dad from the 1960s or 1970s. I wish I had more pictures of him from that time period. Since he took all the pictures, he's not in very many of them.

I like this one above. I am not sure if Lori and I were at the Grand Hotel with them on this trip.

Maybe. Depends on when Nixon resigned. I remember we stayed in the presidential suite, which that is, quite clearly, right after the president, and I want to say that president was Gerald Ford. Nixon resigned on August 8th, so conceivably this picture is after that.

However, I remember being into magic on that trip, and I do not believe I was quite into magic yet at 11 years old. Maybe. I remember seeing Robert Downey (not to be confused with the actor) on that trip.


I am not sure if I knew that he died in 1980.

I think it's more likely that the picture above is from a time when Mom and Dad went without us and we all went together in 1974 and/or 1975.

The picture with the obit is from TASTE OF KALAMAZOO, and I took that picture. It's one of my favorites.

I still can't believe he's gone. I want to talk to him about the picture above, about Bob Downey, about our trips to Mackinac.

Regardless, we were (or they were) at Mackinac for Michigan Society of Architects.

I am and always have been so proud to be the son of Bob Tower.

Miss you, Dad.


UPDATE - 2409.14 - 11:07

I just realized that I am now in possession of my Dad's little black books in which he recorded nearly everything.

We were in Mackinac in late August of 1973.

But I think we were there again in other years and for longer. This is not the year when I met Bob Downey (as far as I can tell).

Here's the relevant pages:







COUNTDOWN!!!



https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/kalamazoo/name/robert-tower-obituary?pid=207694616


Robert Tower Obituary

Tower, Robert Burns
Kalamazoo
ROBERT B. TOWER, AIAE, NCARB - June 26, 1935 - August 28, 2024
Robert Burns Tower II passed away peacefully at Friendship Village and joined his wife in Heaven with his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He was born prematurely in Whitefish, Montana in a log cabin. He was the son of Hellen Doris (Lauman) Tower and Walter Burns Tower. He was named after his grandfather, Robert Burns Tower as well as the famous Scottish poet, Robert Burns. His family moved to Michigan, and he attended secondary schools in Midland, Michigan. Tower attended the University of Michigan, and earned his Architecture degree in 1960. He served his country in the US Army and National Guards of Michigan. He was a registered Architect, with licenses in Michigan, Indiana, Illinois and Ohio. He received a national Architecture Registration (NCARB). Tower was also certified as a Peer Reviewer for the American Institute of Architects. He traveled to many parts of the US and Canada to consult with other Architectural or Engineering firms offering his expertise in management transition. With over forty years of experience in the field of Architecture, Tower was the retired Chairman Emeritus of Tower Pinkster Titus Associates, Inc (TowerPinkster). During his years with the firm, Tower practiced Architecture and served as the leader of its staff. The firm had offices in Kalamazoo, Battle Creek, Detroit and Grand Rapids during his leadership. His expertise in Healthcare Facility design and Healthcare Construction Codes made the firm greatly sought after for his reputation for design skills in highly technical buildings. Tower's involvement in community activities throughout the state gave him the opportunity to gain insights in many aspects of public, non-profit and private enterprise. He served on the Boards of Directors of many organizations and was highly respected for his leadership and energetic support of the organizations he served. During many years of community service Tower was involved in countless fundraising efforts, developed public policy, provided leadership in the reorganization of a number of non-profit organizations, and attained a wealth of knowledge in organizational planning. Tower was a highly organized taskmaster who was respected by his peers for his ability to lead groups of people with diplomacy, thoughtful mentorship, and a respect for other people's abilities and ideas. His expertise as a fundraiser was the hallmark of his community service, and he was greatly sought after to participate in such activities because of his success at attaining the goals of any campaign he was involved with. His noteworthy campaigns were the successful efforts for the Kalamazoo Nature Center, Binder Park Zoo, DRUGS DON'T WORK, the Kal-Haven Trail and the Rotary Stage in Bronson Park. Tower designed many buildings during the length of his career with his firm as well as many architectural commissions he completed in his own private practice during retirement. He was the Architect of Record for Bronson Methodist Hospital in Kalamazoo for over twenty years, and was the designer for many of the additions to the health facility as it expanded during the later years of the twentieth century. He was also the Architect for many other healthcare facilities throughout the state of Michigan and Illinois. Tower's personal delight was the many beautiful custom homes he designed for clients that sought his expertise. Most of his residential projects are in Southwest Michigan. Tower also designed many fine homes in his hometown of Midland, Michigan. Robert Tower's wife, Marjorie Ellen (Delbridge) Tower passed away July 4, 2015. He is survived by his daughter, Lori M. (Noel) Beard; his son, Christopher B. (Liesel) Tower; and grandchildren, Piper and Ivan Simons. The family will receive friends at a

visitation at First Presbyterian Church in Richland, Michigan from 6pm to 8pm on Thursday, September 5, 2024 in the Grand Prairie room which Tower designed. A memorial service will be held the following day, September 6, 2024 at First Presbyterian Church at 5pm. Gifts in lieu of flowers can be directed to the Kalamazoo Nature Center, Binder Park Zoo, or Gilmore Keyboard Foundation.



+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - date - time


- Days ago: MOM = 3360 days ago & DAD = 016 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: