Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Monday, September 30, 2024

A Sense of Doubt blog post #3513 - Paul Weller in Concert - Moore Theater, Seattle, Thursday Sept 19 2024 - Music Monday for 2409.30


A Sense of Doubt blog post #3513 - Paul Weller in Concert - Moore Theater, Seattle, Thursday Sept 19 2024 - Music Monday for 2409.30

So, I finally saw Paul Weller live in concert. PAUL WELLER!!!!!!!!!!!

It has been a long time coming.

In 1982, I had started becoming a fan of the Jam, Weller's first band. I was not a FULL ON CRAZED FAN yet. I had the Sound Affects album, and I was playing The Gift and some others (I liked their cover of the Batman theme) at the radio station. But I did not yet own all the albums as I would just a year or two later.

But I bought concert tickets to see the Jam at the Michigan Theatre in Ann Arbor.

I took my then girlfriend to the show,  but when we got there, before we went inside, she was not really in the mood for the show, and she wanted to visit her grand parents in Detroit. And so, I sold the tickets for less than I paid for them, thinking I can see the Jam another time, especially since, at that time, I was not a HUGE fan.

That was the Jam's last tour.

The band broke up.

And though I was happy to do something so sweet for my girlfriend, I have regretted missing that concert ever since. I am still good friends with that ex, and I reminded her from time to time of that missed opportunity.

As such, Paul Weller has always been at the top of my bucket list of musicians to see live.

I am not sure why I missed seeing the Style Council or any of his U.S. tours as a solo act, but I did.

I told this same story and wrote about the bucket list here:

Thursday, September 19, 2024

Weller was in the top spot.

And now, I have seen him and his show.

But more than just seeing Weller live and checking an item, even the number one item, off the bucket list, I would not have been able to do this if my Dad had not died. Or rather, I might not have gone, might not have felt that I could afford it.

Earlier this year, I was in London when Weller's new album 66 came out. We went to Rough Trade, and I bought the album there, which I felt was a really cool thing to do, a Brit thing, something I admired and wished to be able to do growing up.

I had decided to go to the concert somehow before my Dad was even dying, but then, no one would go with me, and I was unsure if I should spend the money.

And then my Dad died.

Much like how I had dismissed a daily t-shirts blog until I learned I had cancer, and then I was like FUCK IT and did what I wanted, what seemed right for my self care. Explained HERE:

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Much like that, this.

As my Dad entered hospice, as my Dad lay dying, as he took his last breaths while I tried to READ MY HOMEWORK, the concert became one of the most important things for me to do FOR ME, for healing, for self-care, for pure joy, for catharsis, 

I think I even mentioned it to Dad in his final days that I was going to the Paul Weller concert.

Thank you, Dad.

WHAT'S HERE?

I have assembled many items here.

Below, you will find my list of links to all my Weller-related posts.

I have trip photos. I will add a few notes with the trip photos.

And I have multiple playlists linked and embedded here.

Prior to the concert, I had made a mix of the average of set list. I have now made a mix of the exact set list from the Seattle show. I also found that someone had posted videos of the show, so I made a playlist of those. I also found another fan with a series of videos from a show in Bristol, England, and I made a playlist for those.

2410.06 - I added a complete concert video and set list with time stamps for the Brooklyn NY show from 2409.07.


TRIP REPORT

I have affirmed many times that I need to take a trip every quarter, even a short trip will do. So far this year that has almost been true. No trips Jan-May, but in May I went to England and Iceland. Then back to Michigan in August, and Seattle in September. I am back to Michigan in December, so that will serve for this current quarter.

This trip proved to be easy. I even worked for half of the day before I left. Given that Seattle is really only 2 1/2 hours away, and I could not check-in until 4 p.m. I didn't leave until around 1 p.m.

Mostly, an easy drive. Part of the time with my audio book, and part of the time with Paul Weller's music.

Easy unloading and parking at the hotel, which was two blocks from the venue -- the Moore Theatre -- and one block from Pike Place Market.

After checking in, I chilled out in the room for awhile and chose a place to eat: a local dough zone. I had consider a really expensive dinner at a nearby steakhouse with some steaks OVER $100, but I decided on the Asian cuisine that's much more comforting and not so painful to the pocket book.

Then back to the hotel to relax some more before the show, which started at 8 p.m.

I left for the theatre around 7:20 because it was only going to take me 5-10 minutes to walk two blocks.

I stood in line and bought some merch - tote bag and t-shirt.

The chap seated to my right was DRUNK, loud, and obnoxious, but he loved the Jam, so we bonded a little. I had two seats as I bought two tickets hoping someone would join me before I decided that it was very important to go to this show by myself.

The couple to my left was very nice and we chatted a lot. The husband was from Glasgow, and we had a lot in common musically. We all had a lot in common politically as his wife was looking at anti-Trump stuff on her phone.

Then, the show!

CONCERT REPORT

The show started almost exactly at 8 p.m. with the opener George Houston, who hails from Donegal, Ireland.

He did a great, short set. Funny at times. Wistful at others. And a hot tip not to wash dishes with a sponge because of all the bacteria!

Weller and his band came on not too long after though I did not make a note of the time.

I wish I could remember the song playing over the speakers after the lights went down while we waited for them all to come out. REMINDER, I need to get the Shazam app for occasions like this. I recognized the song but couldn't recall the name or the singer.

Right away, Weller deviated from the average set list by opening with "Nova" from A Kind of Revolution rather than "Rip The Pages Up" from 22 Dreams.

I think "Rip The Pages Up" would have been a much better opener though in other recent shows he opened with "Cosmic Fringes," which I think is an even stronger kick-off.

Weller was apologetic that it would be a long set as, he claimed, "we have a lot to get through, so thanks for your patience." He commented on putting out like a dozen albums since he last toured the U.S. seven years ago even though he's released only four since 2017, not counting A Kind of Revolution which came out that year and which he was probably promoting in his last tour.

I already knew that he was not going to play ANYTHING from True Meanings, his 2018 album that I really started to listen to obsessively (as in daily) in 2020 once the pandemic hit. It has become my favorite Weller solo album, which is saying a lot given how much I love Stanley Road, Wild Wood, and Wake Up The Nation not to mention many others that are very close to those top three.

I knew he wasn't going to play my two favorite solo songs outside of all the songs on True Meanings: "A Brand New Start" and "The Loved," neither of which ever appeared on any of the studio albums, the first being a track on his greatest hits collection Modern Classics and the latter a B-side of something that he played on his solo album Days of Speed, which also opens with "A Brand New Start."

However, I expected him to play "That's Entertainment," and I am very disappointed that he didn't.

He did play four Style Council songs and two Jam songs, though, which is great. However, one of the Style Council songs -- "Have you Ever Had it Blue?" -- could be seen as the replacement for "That's Entertainment." As much as I love the Style Council and that Style Council song, I would have preferred he play "That's Entertainment," and I can imagine most everyone in the audience felt the same way.

I don't think many Weller fans expect too many Jam songs, and four Style Council songs in a 28-song concert, counting the five songs played in two encores, is more Style Council songs than one might predict he'd play.

Still, the crowd really got going for "Start!" and of course the final song of the night at the end of the second encore: "Town Called Malice," the last being the best known song of all.

The crowd was also energized for the Style Council songs as all but "Blue" are high energy and peppy.

I even heard approval from audience members for some of the newer solo work with which they were unfamiliar, off the new album and other recent albums.

He had only played "Rise Up Singing" off the new album, 66, seventeen times this year.

According to the set list site, Weller had played "That's Entertainment" in 31 shows out of 47 shows total this year

Another song that had not been played enough to make the "average" set list was "Out of the Sinking" from Stanley Road, which he's played only thirteen times.

I did note that at the very next show he played a Style Council song that is one of my all-time favorites: "It's a Very Deep Sea," which he's only played four times this year.

I was also quite surprised that he didn't play "You Do Something To Me" -- one of his best known songs here and back in the U.K. that he has played 30 times.

And though "Stanley Road" made the average set list, a song he has played in 43 of the 47 shows, it was not the crowd energizer that it is in the U.K. In fact, Weller even mentioned that the song was a huge hit in England -- as was the entire album -- and not so much in the U.S. It was a Number One and four time Platinum in the U.K. and didn't even chart in the U.S.

I was thrilled that he played it as well as "Broken Stones," "The Changingman," "Porcelain Gods," and the aforementioned "Out of the Sinking" from that album.

Though he did not open with "Rip The Pages Up" as I wrote before, I liked that "Cosmic Fringes" was second, as I adore that song. And then he followed it with new favorite song from 66 "Soul Wandering."

I was moved to tears from the moment he started just because I could not believe I was there, seeing him, hearing the music live, but the lyrics of "Soul Wandering" really hit me in that moment, and I really started to cry.

That's why I featured that song the following Monday while I was still working to complete this concert review.


And from there to launch into "My Ever Changing Moods" by The Style Council, a top-rated favorite of mine put me into orbit, and I was sober.

In listening to prepare for the concert, I started to develop new favorites that I had not paid much attention to such as "Village," "Rockets," and "More" (which he did not play in Seattle) from On Sunset, an album I have listened to a lot but just as background, as it's pretty, and had not paid too much attention to the songs or the lyrics until now.

Of course, he played several other songs from the new album: "Jumble Queen," "Nothing," and the aforementioned "Soul Wandering" and "Rise Up Singing."

He also played several other well known solo works, such as "Above the Clouds," "Wildwood," and maybe not quite as well known "All the Pictures on the Wall."

It was a great, great show despite little disappointments.

It was number one on my music bucket list and now it's done.

But, now, seeing him again is high on that music bucket list.

Thanks, Dad. I might not have gone without what happened with you. I'd rather have you still here, though. Much rather.

Thanks for tuning in.

Enjoy my music mixes and photos (even the shitty ones).


PAUL WELLER MOORE THEATRE SEATTLE SEPT 19 2024 SET





https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/paul-weller/2024/the-moore-theatre-seattle-wa-5ba8dff8.html


Setlist
  
Nova
Cosmic Fringes
Soul Wandering
My Ever Changing Moods (The Style Council song)
That Pleasure
All the Pictures on the Wall
Head-start for Happiness (The Style Council song)
Stanley Road
Glad Times
Have You Ever Had It Blue (The Style Council song)
Village
Out of the Sinking
Fat Pop
Hung Up
Shout to the Top! (The Style Council song)
Broken Stones
Rise Up Singing
Nothing
Above the Clouds
Jumble Queen
Into Tomorrow
Start! (The Jam song)
Peacock Suit

Encore:
The Changingman
Porcelain Gods
Wild Wood

Encore 2:
Rockets
Town Called Malice (The Jam song)




AVERAGE WELLER SET LIST AND EXPECTED ENCORES LIST

Rip The Pages Up - 22 DREAMS and WILL OF THE PEOPLE D2
Nova - A Kind of Revolution
Cosmic Fringes - FAT POP
Soul Wandering - 66
All The Pictures On The Wall
Stanley Road - STANLEY ROAD
Glad Times - - FAT POP
My Ever Changing Moods (Live) - STYLE COUNCIL - Cafe Bleu
That Pleasure - FAT POP
Village - ON SUNSET
Fat Pop - FAT POP
Hung Up - Wild Wood
More - ON SUNSET
Above the Clouds - PAUL WELLER (solo)
Shout To The Top - STYLE COUNCIL - Our Favourite Shop
Jumble Queen - 66
Nothing - 66
Headstart For Happiness  - STYLE COUNCIL - Introducing the Style Council
Start - THE JAM - SOUND AFFECTS
Into Tomorrow - Paul Weller (Classics)
Peacock Suit - HEAVY SOUL
Thats Entertainment - THE JAM - SOUND AFFECTS
You Do Something To Me - STANLEY ROAD

ENCORE ONE
Broken Stones - STANLEY ROAD
Wild Wood - Wild Wood
Rockets - ON SUNSET
Town Called Malice - THE JAM - THE GIFT

ENCORE TWO
The Changingman - STANLEY ROAD

ADDED
Have You Ever Had it Blue
Blue Cafe





Recorded on September 7, 2024 at Kings Theater in Brooklyn, NY. Setlist:
0:00 Nova
3:44 Cosmic Fringes
6:49 My Ever Changing Moods
11:30 Soul Wandering
14:47 That Pleasure
19:17 Headstart for Happiness
22:40 All the Pictures on the Wall
27:26 Stanley Road
31:49 Rise Up Singing
35:30 Glad Times
40:12 Village
43:37 Fat Pop
47:25 Hung Up
50:52 Shout to the Top!
55:18 Broken Stones
59:59 Nothing
1:05:00 It's a Very Deep Sea
1:10:12 Jumble Queen
1:12:58 Start!
1:15:33 Above the Clouds
1:19:38 Into Tomorrow
1:26:30 Peacock Suit

Encore:
1:30:05 The Changingman
1:33:59 Porcelain Gods - with snippet of  "I Walked on Guilded Splinters" (Dr. John cover)
1:40:52 You Do Something to Me
1:45:10 Rockets

Encore 2:
1:51:45 Town Called Malice




Here's all my PAUL WELLER related posts:

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Monday, May 15, 2017

Monday, December 3, 2018

Monday, December 31, 2018

Monday, November 18, 2019

Monday, November 25, 2019

Friday, April 10, 2020

Monday, July 6, 2020

Monday, August 30, 2021

Monday, October 11, 2021

Saturday, December 4, 2021

Monday, December 6, 2021

Monday, September 18, 2023

Monday, June 3, 2024



The Venue





The Concert

My concert pictures are kinda shitty. I was in the back and using zoom. I didn't feel like moving up like others around me did.












The hotel


I liked the big walk in shower!!




Very cool lobby art!




Small but comfy room.


Seattle





How I was Keeping Time on my Trip



Dinner at the Dough Zone


This cucumber was all sliced in one piece, still connected!






Breakfast at Skillet


The skillet was just okay. I wish I had ordered something else.





+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2409.30 - 10:10

- Days ago: MOM = 3370 days ago & DAD = 026 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: