Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #407 - Sonnet - 1 - for Liesel's Birthday - Writerly Wednesday


Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #407 - Sonnet - 1 - for Liesel's Birthday  - Writerly Wednesday

Hi Mom,

Happy birthday to my wonderful and amazing wife.

I have many favorite pictures of Liesel. I will share several others after the poem, but if I have to choose one for the banner to flow through on the social media streams, it's this one.

Liesel celebrated a day off from work back in 2009 with this photo.

She's so amazing.

About a year after she took this photo, I wrote this sonnet for our first wedding anniversary, using Shakespeare's sonnet #17 as a guide post and paradigm.

I am not a good poet. I am definitely not a great sonnet writer. But this one has some turns of phrase and moments that I like but they are mostly our own special things, mine and Liesel's, such as "forkchops," which is an inside joke, and the reference to AKA cords.

It's not my greatest effort but at least it rhymes and the rhythms are close to right.

sonnet - 1 - for liesel - 1010.01-16:40
taken off on Shakespeare’s 17

How will my love lurch in time to come
If I lost you in sands of windy deserts?
Without you, I would be trapped in a dank tomb
littered with the remains of our love’s efforts.
If I could compose your love-lexicon in signs,
And number fresh and true your many graces,
The world would celebrate this poet’s lines,
and subsume all the arts of your many faces.
So should my old poems, yellowed with their age,
Scorn the past and the forkchops of their tongues,
And your true light burns with photographer’s rage
And stretches like the AKA cords of our zealous songs:
But our love remains aflame and awake through time,
That we will live and love and kiss through rhyme.

A PHOTO GALLERY OF MY BEAUTIFUL AND AMAZING WIFE










+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

I miss you so very much, Mom.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 409 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1608.17 - 10:10

NOTE on time: When I post late, I had been posting at 7:10 a.m. because Google is on Pacific Time, and so this is really 10:10 EDT. However, it still shows up on the blog in Pacific time. So, I am going to start posting at 10:10 a.m. Pacific time, intending this to be 10:10 Eastern time. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom. But I am not going back and changing all the 7:10 a.m. times. But I will run this note for a while. Mom, you know that I am posting at 10:10 a.m. often because this is the time of your death.

No comments: