Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #415 - Talking again #6 - Throwback Thursday

My sister, Lori, circa 1973
Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #415 - Talking again #6 - Throwback Thursday

Hi Mom,

I will spend all day building this conversation with you in honor of our Throwback Thursday.

I am having lunch with Lori today, so a picture of Lori is appropriate. I believe that picture above is Lori out yelling the outboard motor on the Pinkster's pontoon boat at a Tower-Pinkster summer picnic. I suspect it's circa 1973-ish. Four years old? Lori will probably be able to confirm this guess.

As always, this blog entry is all about the random. I am not promising any kind of organization.

For instance, I have been trying to drop weight, so I have been off candy bars this summer. I have had exactly two. Yesterday, I bought a Payday, which is on my desk until I earn it by dropping more weight.

It's very humid here. Warren Ellis also wrote about weather in his daily post yesterday. I saw a clear translation of Celsius to Fahrenheit: 31C is about 88F. It's humid on the Thames Delta where he lives. It's humid here. It only got down to 73 degrees last night. Phone says it's 73 now, but the outdoor thermometer reads 73, too. That's usually not the case.

I have hip pain. Or maybe groin pain. I am not sure. I went to the doctor yesterday.

I have a lot of grading to do, but I have a new Hypnagogue podcast! I also found a new podcast yesterday, but I haven't yet subscribed. I may not.

Grand Hotel, President's Suite, Mackinac Island - 1976?
I need to clear out my email more.

I finally opened a file and started to offload notes for my novel into the computer. Like this blog entry, I will earn the right to do more throughout the day as I work.

I think these other photos are from Lori's birthday at the Grand Hotel in 1976 when she turned seven? Seems right to me compared to other photos.

I am doing better. I have had pain lately in my hip. Worried about a return of cancer or just a severe tear to a muscle or tendon, I went to the doctor the other day as the area had been incredibly painful, especially after a walk. I have been resting it the last few days: no exercises, no walks, no biking, no rolling, very limited stretching. And I have been taking Ibuprofen to reduce what was definitely some inflammation. I think I had been aggravating it with walks or exercises. I may do another round of physical therapy. I have an appointment for September 6th. But at least, it's better, which is a relief.

I have been doing a lot of math, and I am ahead of schedule on my grading for the week, which means less work this weekend.

I need to mow the lawn.

Saturday, Liesel and I are invited to go to the Dilleys for a Chinese Dumpling party. It should be fun.

It was nice to have lunch with Lori today. We're going to try to do that at least once a month.

I wonder if anyone is interested in these random collections of newsy bits than you and me, Mom. I do still share a great deal of this material with Dad on the phone, but you were always the one interested in EVERYTHING and him not so much.

I kept having a network failure with my desktop every time I would get an automatic update. I think it was an out of date network driver. I updated drivers and so far no crash this week. But I am knocking on wood as I share this thought because until a full week or even two without a crash goes by I am not going to feel out of the woods. But so far, so good.

I think a lot about my upcoming schedule with school. It feels more manageable with only one class that I am taking rather than two, but I know adding three classes overall (two teaching and one taking) will increase my work load. I do feel fortunate to have days mostly clear. My two WMU courses that I am teaching are on Mondays and Wednesdays at 3 p.m., giving me a lot of the day to get stuff done before I have to leave. Then, the Discrete Math course is on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4:30 to 6:10, which means making dinner before I head out on Thursdays, unless that's one day I don't make dinner (not that I make dinner all that often). KUDL follows on Wednesdays, which is the long day. I am not sure I can play with this hip thing, but I am hopeful. So, I think about my days as I work. Thoughts like, "this is when I would have to leave for my class" to get a sense for how much I can get done before the hammer falls. I think it will be manageable.

One of my students wrote about losing his mother and what a huge impact that had on him. I feel for him, but this also made me think of you. I had another student who wrote about how her mother is dying. This kind of family stuff makes a big impact on me.

I want to do more writing on my novel.

And more math.

But there's work to do and now it's Friday, so up this one goes.

I love you, Mom. I think about you all the time.

Lori's Birthday - Grand Hotel, President's Suite, Mackinac Island - 1976?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

I miss you so very much, Mom.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 417 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1608.25 - 10:10

NOTE on time: When I post late, I had been posting at 7:10 a.m. because Google is on Pacific Time, and so this is really 10:10 EDT. However, it still shows up on the blog in Pacific time. So, I am going to start posting at 10:10 a.m. Pacific time, intending this to be 10:10 Eastern time. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom. But I am not going back and changing all the 7:10 a.m. times. But I will run this note for a while. Mom, you know that I am posting at 10:10 a.m. often because this is the time of your death.

No comments: