Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #704 - Star Trek Discovery - new trailer


Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #704 - Star Trek Discovery - new trailer

Hi Mom,

Time for something more fun than yesterday's downer about a so-called "president" who is a lying liar who lies out of his ass all the time, pathologically.

I have been hanging on to this one for some time as the Star Trek Discovery trailer debuted a couple of weeks ago in mid-May.

Along with the trailer for the new show, I added a fan review in which he complains about continuity with issues of time, uniforms, and other issues.

I gave up on new media products preserving any concept of continuity a long time ago. I don't want to be one of those picky fans who nit pick all sorts of things making them an elite clique as only a few people will know what they're talking about.

Would I like the new Star Trek show to fit, even just with time line continuity, with the previous incarnations? Sure. That would be great. But is that going to happen? Probably not. New movies and TV shows, even comic books, any of these company products are not going to mesh with other elements. If one author/creator is creating a single universe, she/he can control everything and make it mesh and remain consistent. But in these giant collaborations, it's unlikely to happen and changes are made for all sorts of either story reasons, because "it would be cool" reasons, and also to fit casting and other elements into the modern world, such as an woman of color as captain and I have seen rumours that Discovery will explore a transgendered character.

Still, I am going to watch this new show as I know will the other Trek fans even if they are critical of it.

I just like having episodic Star Trek stories to enjoy. I like the weekly hit of Star Trek advancing a franchise with a storied and lengthy history.

Sure, I enjoy the nit picks of fans, but I never get too rabid about it or let it affect my enjoyment of the show. Hey, I liked Enterprise, even the opening credits and songs, which most Trek fans liked.

Though I didn't really like Jar Jar Binks, I did see the need for his character and saw what Lucas was trying to do with him and his appeal (or at least what his appeal was believed to be before the film was released), so I am not as "uptight" as a lot of geeks.

I think the trailer looks cool. I like the desert gear. I love Sonequa Martin. It was super smart of CBS and the production team to tap Martin for the captain given the overlap between The Walking Dead fanbase, where she played Sasha, and Star Trek.

I also love seeing Michelle Yeoh in this show. She's a great actor and a strong presence.

The trailer is well designed and pumps my excitement. It ends with a very ominous declaration.

Okay, do they seem to be forgetting the existence of Christopher Pike? Maybe. But I am okay with that. Pike was only ever created to re-use the failed Trek pilot of TOS as part of a two-parter in the first season to save production costs, but he's been generally forgotten (until the 2009 movie) otherwise, except the most ardent of Trek fans. The references in STNG and DS9 are just little Easter eggs for fans and no real preservation of the time line. The 2009 movie re-established him as the previous captain of the Enterprise before Kirk, but that timeline is not necessarily destroyed by playing the Discovery in time ten years before Kirk and Spock. That simple statement does not imply that the Enterprise's first captain was Kirk. The statement Ketwolski is riffing on -- "ten years before Kirk, Spock, and the Enterprise" -- does not necessarily mean that Kirk and Spock were the first crew of the Enterprise and the Enterprise's first missions. It's simply sharing that Discovery is set ten years before their time.

I am amused by the nits Ketwolski picks. I like his style and the way he speaks in his video. I like his office and his DJ mike on its arm. I will watch more videos by him. He's great for fandom.

But this trailer, it's cool. It gets me hyped.




Here's Ketwolski's review.





Some other good links.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Trek:_Discovery


http://www.gamesradar.com/star-trek-discovery-news-cast-trailer/


http://charlesskaggs.blogspot.com/2017/05/star-trek-discovery-debuts-first-full.html

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

I miss you so very much, Mom.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 706 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1706.10 - 10:10

NOTE on time: When I post late, I had been posting at 7:10 a.m. because Google is on Pacific Time, and so this is really 10:10 EDT. However, it still shows up on the blog in Pacific time. So, I am going to start posting at 10:10 a.m. Pacific time, intending this to be 10:10 Eastern time. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom. But I am not going back and changing all the 7:10 a.m. times. But I will run this note for a while. Mom, you know that I am posting at 10:10 a.m. often because this is the time of your death.

No comments: