Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Monday, June 19, 2017

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #713 - Watching Capitalism Gun Down Democracy - Musical Monday Mix for 1706.19

http://oblfreak.deviantart.com/art/Watching-capitalism-gun-down-democracy-331382793
Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #713 - Watching Capitalism Gun Down Democracy - Musical Monday Mix for 1706.19

Hi Mom,

I am a day late, even though I started this post a week ago.

I decided to go with thirteen videos today.

This mix started with the first song, "Your Next Bold Move" by Ani DiFranco, from which the title of the mix is taken:

"Coming of age during the plague of Reagan and Bush
Watching Capitalism Gun Down Democracy
it had this funny effect on me, I guess..."

Once I decided to feature that song, I wanted two other Ani songs and make her the featured artist without having her music overwhelm the mix. Next, I wanted songs that were politically or culturally conscious, that spoke to issues in some way, and would be good commentary on the state of the Hate Nation that is what our country has become as the "president" is being investigated for colluding with the Russians to tamper with our national elections and proves every day what a hateful bigot he is, which gives all the other hateful bigots the license (or so they seem to feel) to be open, loud, and proud of their hateful bigotry.

As I selected songs, some came to mind from long time favorites and multiple plays, like "A Stone's Throw Away" - The Style Council and "Devils and Dust" - Bruce Springsteen, but I did not want to stay mired in the past as many of the songs show me sort of stuck in the 1980s. I knew I wanted to end the mix with "Gimme Shelter" because this is a song I keep coming back to every week and blasting from the stereo speakers, so I had to fill out the rest.

I needed a song from the Who if I wanted the political connection and the feel of opposition to corruption in government, but "Won't Get Fooled Again" was too obvious, and so a quick scan of my collection of their stuff brought up "Did You Steal My Money," which seems like the perfect choice, especially the day after Scalzi tweeted that "the GOP is just waiting for us to fork over them all the money we've ever made for shitty health care."

But, also, I wanted some newer songs, so I look like I keep up on new music (because I do). "Queen is Dead" by Young Fathers came up as a suggestion by You Tube because I featured this band a few weeks back, and this song provided just the right counter punch to "Your Next Bold Move" and is a short, quick, change of pace. Also, I found "One Tear" by Paul Weller from his new album A Kind Revolution, which is a R&B rich song. It's soulful music and lyrics speak directly to our situation today: "no song can ever say, one tear can say it all..."

I came across "Running to Stand Still" just glancing at some of my playlists and then lucked into this recent video from the current U2 tour in which the band does a tribute for Chris Cornell, who recently died tragically. It's a great live video and a wonderful version of the song.

The other Ani DiFranco songs are two of my favorites and really speak to issues that seem relevant to this mix. "Napoleon" is about selling out to the corporate machine and being a greedy conqueror. "I'm No Heroine" is DiFranco's statement about how she sees her role in music:

"I'm no heroine
At least, not last time I checked
I'm too easy to roll over
I'm too easy to wreck
I just write about
What I should have done
I just sing
What I wish I could say
And hope somewhere
Some woman hears my music
And it…"

And I pasted the lyrics to "Your Next Bold Move" at the end of this post, but here's another good chunk:

"What a waste of thumbs that are opposable
To make machines that are disposable
And sell them to seagulls flying in circles
Around one big right wing
Yes, the left wing was broken long ago
By the slingshot of "cointelpro" [?]
And now it's so hard to have faith in
Anything
Especially your next bold move
Or the next thing you're gonna need to prove
To yourself..."

I think this is a pretty good mix... :-)

Watching Capitalism Gun Down Democracy - Musical Monday Mix for 1706.19 - YOU TUBE LINK TO PLAYLIST

1. "Your Next Bold Move" - Ani DiFranco
2. "A Stone's Throw Away" - The Style Council
3. "Other Side of the Game" - Erykah Badu
4. "Devils and Dust" - Bruce Springsteen
5. "One Tear" - Paul Weller (A Kind Revolution)
6. "Bulletproof... I Wish I Was" - Radiohead
7. "Running to Stand Still" - U2 (tribute for Chris Cornell)
8. "Napoleon" - Ani DiFranco
9.  "Queen is Dead" - Young Fathers
10. "Here's Where The Story Ends" - The Sundays
11. "I'm No Heroine" - Ani DiFranco
12. "Gimme Shelter" - The Rolling Stones (best version)

http://oblfreak.deviantart.com/art/Which-side-are-you-on-331381564

Watching Capitalism Gun Down Democracy - Musical Monday Mix for 1706.19























http://oblfreak.deviantart.com/art/Consume-369848135






















+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Your Next Bold Move
Coming of age during the plague
Of Reagan and Bush
Watching capitalism gun down democracy
It had this funny effect on me
I guess
I am cancer
I am HIV
And I'm down at the blue Jesus
Blue cross hospital
Just lookin' up from my pillow
Feeling blessed
And the mighty multinationals
Have monopolized the oxygen
So it's as easy as breathing
For us all to participate
Yes they're buying and selling
Off shares of air
And you know it's all around you
But it's hard to point and say "there"
So you just sit on your hands
And quietly contemplate
Your next bold move
The next thing you're gonna need to prove
To yourself
What a waste of thumbs that are imposable
To make machines that are disposable
And sell them to seagulls flying in circles
Around one big right wing
Yes, the left wing was broken long ago
By the slingshot of cointelpro
And now it's so hard to have faith in
Anything
Especially your next bold move
Or the next thing you're gonna need to prove
To yourself
You want to track each trickle
Back to its source
And then scream up the faucet
'til your face is hoarse
'cause you're surrounded by a world's worth
Of things you just can't excuse
But you've got the hard cough of a chain smoker
And you're at the arctic circle playing strip poker
And it's getting colder and colder
Every time you lose
So go ahead
Make your next bold move
Tell us
What's the next thing you're gonna need to prove
To yourself
Songwriters: Ani Difranco
Your Next Bold Move lyrics © A Side Music LLC D/B/A Modern Works Music Publishing

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

I miss you so very much, Mom.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 715  days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1706.19 - 10:10

NOTE on time: When I post late, I had been posting at 7:10 a.m. because Google is on Pacific Time, and so this is really 10:10 EDT. However, it still shows up on the blog in Pacific time. So, I am going to start posting at 10:10 a.m. Pacific time, intending this to be 10:10 Eastern time. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom. But I am not going back and changing all the 7:10 a.m. times. But I will run this note for a while. Mom, you know that I am posting at 10:10 a.m. often because this is the time of your death.


No comments: