Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Sunday, March 25, 2018

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #993 - The New Corner - Old Tigers site is Field of Dreams

Photos by Michelle & Chris Gerard

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #993 - The New Corner - Old Tigers site is Field of Dreams

Hi Mom,

Baseball starts this week. In fact, because I fell behind, I am writing this post from Thursday March 29th, which is the first day of Baseball season. I am trying to alternate tasks. Work a little, blog a little, clear some email, work a little more, fix some food, work some more, do laundry, work some more, clean up the kitchen, and so on. It's an endless cycle. If I ever run out of things to do, I will be dead. And maybe not even then. Maybe there are things to do after death.

Anyway, this article came up in a newsletter I read, so it seemed fitting for today. Plus I am trying to alternate long photo collages, like yesterday, with shorter posts. After all, last Thursday's post filled an entire Blogger page.

I am happy to see this great new facility at the site of so many of my childhood memories.

I loved Tigers Stadium, though the love was more about loving Baseball, childhood, my family, and less about the facility itself, which, by 1999, was rundown and falling apart.

I can only imagine how the players felt about it.

This place, the Corner, means all the more as it's named for Willie Horton as well as the name by which the site was known: the corner of Michigan and Trumbull.

FROM:
https://detroit.curbed.com/2018/3/23/17154238/sneak-peek-the-corner-ballpark-old-tiger-stadium


Sneak peek inside The Corner Ballpark at the old Tiger Stadium

18

Now home to the Willie Horton Field of Dreams



The corner of Michigan and Trumbull has a long, storied baseball history. It was first known as Bennett Park, then Navin Field in 1912. As capacity grew, the name changed to Briggs Stadium (where the Lions also played) in the 1930s, and then, of course, it became Tiger Stadium. The Tigers moved to Comerica Park in 2000 and the future of the stadium was unclear for years; demo started in 2008. For years, a volunteer group called the Navin Field Grounds Crew maintained the field, where eventually vintage baseball games were played again and visitors could stop by and bask in nostalgia.
Redevelopment plans came and went, and finally, in 2016, ground broke on the first development at the site—a new headquarters and ball field for the Detroit Police Athletic League, who serves 14,000 youth a year. A ribbon-cutting ceremony is scheduled for Saturday, March 23, and photographers Michelle & Chris Gerard stopped by to see the new playing field at the old ballpark.
 
 
 
The stadium and headquarters are the result of a $20 million fundraising campaign by Detroit PAL. The new development includes the 8,500-square-foot headquarters and banquet hall, plus the new baseball field, which maintained dimensions of the old field. After a highly debated decision, the field was made of artificial turf instead of grass.



More photos at


https://detroit.curbed.com/2018/3/23/17154238/sneak-peek-the-corner-ballpark-old-tiger-stadium

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you, Mom.

I miss you so very much, Mom.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 995 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1803.25 - 10:10

NEW (written 1708.27) NOTE on time: I am now in the same time zone as Google! So, when I post at 10:10 a.m. PDT to coincide with the time of your death, Mom, I am now actually posting late, so it's really 1:10 p.m. EDT. But I will continue to use the time stamp of 10:10 a.m. to remember the time of your death, Mom. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom.

No comments: