A Sense of Doubt blog post #4224 - Letter to Dad #52 - Each Client a new Therapy
Hi Big Guy, Letter 52 means 52 weeks.
This first as here's the first Letter to Dad:
Thursday, September 11, 2025
In The Gift of Therapy (ch.10 pgs 33-26), author Irvin Yalom cites Carl Jung (p.34) who in regards to the uniqueness of each patient (or client), each with their own inner world and language, that a therapist is really required to create a new therapy for each patient.
This belief of Jung's tracks with my own thinking.
As I am being pushed to choose a theoretical approach, I hesitate to commit because different approaches are going to work best for different patients. Similarly, I balked at the idea of giving homework because some clients will love and embrace homework, some will like the idea but not find the time, and still others may resent being given homework.
Mainly, I am working from a place of CBT and DBT with a mindfulness emphasis mixed with motivational interviewing. Some clients may need other approaches all or in part, such existential or gestalt. In my current work, I am validating a lot and may pull in key concepts from Rogerian person-centered therapy.
If the client has significant trauma, depending on what the trauma is, trauma-informed approaches may work best.
There's no one size fits all.
Patients experience many common issues that an approach like DBT can help and improve, such as setting boundaries, interpersonal effectiveness, and the standards carried over from CBT like coping with negative thoughts and core beliefs.
I am having fun learning and thinking about how to best help people by considering what they need.
In other news, the floor project is nearly done, and I will show you the pictures next week.
Miss you, Dad.
I am having fun learning and thinking about how to best help people by considering what they need.
In other news, the floor project is nearly done, and I will show you the pictures next week.
Miss you, Dad.
Love you,
christopher
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2609.10 - 10:10
- Days ago: MOM = 4088 days ago & DAD = 742 days ago
- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I post Hey Mom blog entries on special occasions. I post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day, and now I have a second count for Days since my Dad died on August 28, 2024. I am now in the same time zone as Google! So, when I post at 10:10 a.m. PDT to coincide with the time of Mom's death, I am now actually posting late, so it's really 1:10 p.m. EDT. But I will continue to use the time stamp of 10:10 a.m. to remember the time of her death and sometimes 13:40 EDT for the time of Dad's death. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.
- Days ago: MOM = 4088 days ago & DAD = 742 days ago
- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I post Hey Mom blog entries on special occasions. I post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day, and now I have a second count for Days since my Dad died on August 28, 2024. I am now in the same time zone as Google! So, when I post at 10:10 a.m. PDT to coincide with the time of Mom's death, I am now actually posting late, so it's really 1:10 p.m. EDT. But I will continue to use the time stamp of 10:10 a.m. to remember the time of her death and sometimes 13:40 EDT for the time of Dad's death. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.
No comments:
Post a Comment