This is NOT Comic Book Sunday, but this IS an assignment for my creative writing students to review this blog, watch this video, and respond.
You might like it, too.
R.K. Brainerd Interview - 2609.22
“For those who love slow-burn romance,
green-inspired societies, and the twisting journey of healing after trauma:
Fairian’s quest for magic drives her into the path of a
lonely, mysterious stranger who may have the answers she’s looking for but
brings the attention of deadly players in supernatural power politics.”
Meet Fairian Leynthall. She’s
irreverent, the unwilling heiress of her family’s business empire, and obsessed
with learning magic. She’s also got two big problems.
One, there’s evidence the magical being who
killed her sister is in town.
Two, there’s this supernatural jerk
interfering with her field research. He keeps spouting nonsense about danger,
treating her like she matters, and distracting her with big lonely eyes. Not to
mention it’s aggravating how much being around him makes her feel like her true
self.
Then it turns out that her supernatural jerk, Daimyn, is some
kind of lynchpin in the magical community, and people are
desperate to control the power he holds. As Fairian struggles to
unravel the truth about her sister’s death, a ridiculous rumor of Daimyn’s
affection for her spreads, and she becomes a target.
Fairian convinces Daimyn to work together to fix it, but she won’t let herself
get close to him. Because the last magical being she trusted? Killed
her sister.
History threatens to repeat itself as
Fairian falls further into the tangled web of supernatural politics. Becoming a
pawn would be the easy path. The hard path will mean believing in herself,
being vulnerable enough to trust, and take back power to be her own piece on
the board.
Jagged Emerald City is the first in the
OBSIDIAN DIVDE series, set in an eco-city and following the adventures of
Fairian Leynthall as she discovers and finds her place in the magical
underworld.
Link to the original post I am reprinting below:
A Sense of Doubt blog post #3616 - JAGGED EMERALD CITY - a book review
I have been sitting on this book review for a while trying to figure out how I wanted to write it.
This book is really great. I loved it.
Hello, R. K. Brainerd here again. You recently signed up to be a part of my email community—I am STOKED you're here—and here is the promised email number two (of three).
Today, I want to talk about my debut novel. If you don't already know, Jagged Emerald City was published on January 21st, 2023, which was the first new moon of 2023. The New Moon has a particular significance for our main character, Fairian—which you'll have to find out yourself. ;)
JEC has been a long labor of love, something that I drafted and revised probably a hundred times over the previous decade.
In its embryonic form, back when I was a teenager, JEC started as scenes between two friends who were falling in love. (I didn't kiss actual people when I began to explore romance—I wrote about it.)
Since then, JEC has evolved and shifted forms so many times since then it's probably unrecognizable beyond character names and places.
If you're curious about this journey, I've blogged quite a bit about it over the years:
So far, responses to JEC has been incredibly positive, which is pretty surreal for me. I'm definitely not complaining!
Book 2 of Fairian and Daimyn's adventures is currently in the works. Mental health, environmentalism, found families, and identity will continue to be the main themes for The Obsidian Divide series. That said, this is also the kind of series that's going to evolve even beyond my biggest imaginings for it—and I'm so excited to see where it'll take us.
That's it for today! Thank you for reading, Chris. You'll hear from me (for the last email of three) soon.
Until then, I hope you're having a fantastic day.
Welcome to the promised third email, where I'll share some of my own story. This is the last of my introductory series, so expect not to hear from me for a while after this! (Unless there's a release soon. Or there's odd timing.)
So what can I say about me?
I've lived in the Pacific Northwest of the United States my entire life, with it's beautiful trees, mountains, and beaches. It has left its imprint on my writing.
I began writing at 12, a story where I went to a Bionicle world (if you had these growing up too, high five!) every time I went to sleep. That was my first foray into writing consistently. After that, I was hooked.
I wrote 2.5 books about an orphan girl who discovers she's actually a dragon stuck in human form (not wishful thinking at all). I like to say that the dragon story taught me how to write, though the manuscripts will likely never see the light of day, haaaa...
On the subject of environmentalism, I've always been concerned about the state of the world and planet, and I studied Political Science and Economics at university. This is something that has also heavily influences my writing.
After undergrad, during my 20s, while trying to navigate being an adult and having a career in the corporate world, my writing focused primarily on Jagged Emerald City. This was the first book I intentionally wrote while thinking about my craft, and it went through a hundred iterations as I learned.
I did contract with a small press at one point (you can read about that here in fact), though it didn't end up working out and we amicably parted ways. After that, I eventually came to the decision that self-publishing was a path that worked for me, and I began planning for JEC's release.
Which basically brings us to now. I am working on the sequel to JEC, and very excited at where it is going. It, like many others I've written, is challenging my imagination and skills in ways both frustrating and exhilarating.
I am also headed to England in October of 2024 for a year-long Masters degree program in Political Ecology. After 10 years and a huge life upheaval, I've decided to go back to school, adventuring halfway around the world.
Which basically brings us to the close here.
And now, just for fun...
Here are two truths and a lie. Reply here to guess which one is the lie!
- I believe the perfect amount of goats for a herd is 13
- I completed my first novel at 14
- My first cat was black
Thank you for reading! I hope this was fun and valuable to you, getting to know me, my debut, and my career a little better.
As a reminder if you haven't already, make sure to add me to your safe senders list so you can be sure to catch further updates as they go out! Also, you can always unsubscribe or opt to receive less email with the links at the bottom.
If you have any questions or want to know more about something, feel free to hit that reply button and I'll respond as soon as I can!
Thank you again, and I wish you the very best in all your adventures.
Here's the comments what I shared directly with the author:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2501.11 - 10:10
- Days ago: MOM = 3480 days ago & DAD = 136 days ago
- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
- Days ago: MOM = 4105 days ago & DAD = 759 days ago
- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I post Hey Mom blog entries on special occasions. I post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day, and now I have a second count for Days since my Dad died on August 28, 2024. I am now in the same time zone as Google! So, when I post at 10:10 a.m. PDT to coincide with the time of Mom's death, I am now actually posting late, so it's really 1:10 p.m. EDT. But I will continue to use the time stamp of 10:10 a.m. to remember the time of her death and sometimes 13:40 EDT for the time of Dad's death. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.
No comments:
Post a Comment