Somewhat of a lazy post, but I wanted to remember 9-11 if not on the day, then this week.
Paul Levitz's post struck me as worth sharing.
That is all.
Thanks for tuning in.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
25 years ago the DC staff was gathered around the one or two working televisions in our midtown office, 7 miles north of Ground Zero. People tried to reach their families, uttering reassurances they didn’t completely feel, or trying to discover the whereabouts of friends and loved ones assumed to be in lower Manhattan. As an impossible number of sirens and unprecedented fighter planes roared, we tried to figure out how to get home from an island that had clamped down its gates and commuter services in fear. Could we walk to bridges we’d never crossed on foot? Would someone come and ferry us across to Jersey along with the thousands of others? And would any place be safe?
Like any community, we shared our fears, our worries, and made our plans. Luckily in the end, perhaps only one DC staffer discovered they’d lost someone that day. But we all lost some security, and knew that there would be more violence to come in response.
I had the honor of stepping in to edit our 9/11 benefit book, collecting and selecting work from an extraordinary range of comics creators. We were able to get printing, paper, ink and distribution costs all donated along with the talents’ usual fees (And arranged parallel donations for our friends at Dark Horse’s volume as well). If memory serves, we donated over $300,000 to survivors, families and first responders. And almost all the creative contributors agreed to donate their originals to the Library of Congress, where they are available to scholars and students alike.
It was almost certainly the last original comic I will edit, and going out on a volume that featured folks from Stan Lee to Jim Lee was a hell of a capstone project. Mark Chiarello art directed and guided the heart-rending poster pages as well as the iconic Alex Ross cover, and many of the DC team assisted. It was an incredibly sad and proud effort.
if you bought a copy, thank you. And if you’ve never read it, try to track down a copy.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 2609.13 - 10:10
- Days ago: MOM = 4091 days ago & DAD = 745 days ago
- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I post Hey Mom blog entries on special occasions. I post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day, and now I have a second count for Days since my Dad died on August 28, 2024. I am now in the same time zone as Google! So, when I post at 10:10 a.m. PDT to coincide with the time of Mom's death, I am now actually posting late, so it's really 1:10 p.m. EDT. But I will continue to use the time stamp of 10:10 a.m. to remember the time of her death and sometimes 13:40 EDT for the time of Dad's death. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.
- Days ago: MOM = 4091 days ago & DAD = 745 days ago
- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I post Hey Mom blog entries on special occasions. I post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day, and now I have a second count for Days since my Dad died on August 28, 2024. I am now in the same time zone as Google! So, when I post at 10:10 a.m. PDT to coincide with the time of Mom's death, I am now actually posting late, so it's really 1:10 p.m. EDT. But I will continue to use the time stamp of 10:10 a.m. to remember the time of her death and sometimes 13:40 EDT for the time of Dad's death. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.


No comments:
Post a Comment