Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Monday, December 28, 2015

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #174 - I miss you

Christmas 1972

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #174 - I miss you

Hi Mom,

Yes, it's redundant. Yes, it's not unique to me. But, given the theme of the blog, it needs repeating: I miss you, Mom.

I know it will be a year of firsts. I get how that works. We already survived our first October 7th (your birthday) without you, first Thanksgiving without you, and now the first December 28th without you. All the days are firsts. I get it.

And I am okay, really I am.

For all my friends who have lost loved ones (as I can think of two easily, as a good friend lost his brother recently and another friend lost her mother), I understand your loss and grief and yet we go on, because we have to. We are okay because we have to be.

And, I am working on longer posts, which are not about grief and loss and missing you, Mom, and so by necessity, this one is short, and mainly exists to share this photo of our annual visit to the manger scene in Bronson Park. I believe we always made this visit on Christmas Eve along with the drive of Christmas Card Lane and in later years, church. But here, in 1972, at ten years old, almost eleven, (Lori is three), we had not started attending church yet. So this visit was our sole reminder of the reason for the Christmas holiday, and why some, like my friends the Frayers, choose to celebrate Winter Solstice.

I am reminded of something Dad told me when we were in Traverse City. He pointed out a church where you took me for Bible school of some kind so that I could socialize with other kids. It was a church at the base of the Old Mission peninsula, one that I had passed hundreds of times in my years of staying out on the Old Mission, and never knew that it was a place I had spent a great deal of time when we lived there. This Bible School you took me to, of which I have no memory, also explains a book of Christian stories for children that I own and never knew where it came from. The small Bible in its zippered case also came from this school that I did not remember.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.
Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 176 days ago


- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1512.28 - 15:25

No comments: