Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Sunday, May 1, 2016

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #299 - Sundays off

Comics Reading Day 1603.06
Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #299 - Sundays off

Hi Mom, As you know, we have always liked to make Sundays a day of rest. Or as much rest as possible when things have to be done like work, laundry, grocery shopping, meal cooking, chicken chores, and so much more, including posting two make up blog posts.

I work very hard all week, and so I try to take Sundays off. Lately, this goal has not been well achieved. For most of the year, I have managed only half a day of non-work each Sunday and sometimes that half day started at 3 or 4 p.m. (which is far from a half day even when I sleep in until 6 a.m.). And when I say "take the day off," I mean, stop working, stop doing chores, lie on the couch, read comics, and watch sports. Sometimes, I nap. Football delivers an easier deadline. I usually manage to hit the couch by at least 2 p.m. Sometimes I am even decadent enough to start by 1 p.m. But without football to schedule my time this winter, timing the rest can be tough. Though at times, I either left work that I then went back to later in the day or just stopped, leaving work undone.

I have spoken with my therapist about this need for rest quite a bit. It's essential for my mental health that I achieve three goals each week: 1. I get a sufficient amount of alone time; 2. I stop work by around 8 p.m. every night and read and relax until I fall asleep (usually by 10 p.m. at the latest); 3. I stop work on Sunday and take some or most of the day off.

I saw a break in my schedule, and so I decided to take off all day today, Sunday May 1st. As such, for the first time in so long that I cannot remember the last time it happened (probably over the Christmas holidays when I actually have no work for a few days), I did not do any work all day Sunday. Instead I posted two blog entries and farted around a little, then I went shopping with my wife, and among those things I managed some chores, like laundry. I even took the dog for a walk and listened to more of Bleak House (I am almost done!!). But by about 3 p.m., I hit the couch and read a large stack of comic books.

The picture at the header is from March, but I like how it's blurred to mirror the speed at which I read through (paged through) probably close to three dozen comic books and decided, during my perusal, to drop some titles from my monthly subscription list. I read Warren Ellis' weekly newsletter, which is always a pleasurable experience. I watched Baseball and basketball. Tigers and Warriors won! I ate some chili my wife made, though total rest was interrupted by cleaning up the kitchen for 30-45 minutes.

I consider this day (which again I am writing from the future and back dating), Sunday, May First, as a successful fulfillment of my need to rest and recharge, but I could do more, I could put in more hours toward battery re-power. I now have a new goal. And this should be my epitaph. I need a Living Will so my wishes are followed after death. At the site of my memorial, I want inscribed:

"Here lies Christopher Tower, the gmr: he wanted more."

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 301 days ago


- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1605.01 - 10:10


NOTE on time: When I post late, I had been posting at 7:10 a.m. because Google is on Pacific Time, and so this is really 10:10 EDT. However, it still shows up on the blog in Pacific time. So, I am going to start posting at 10:10 a.m. Pacific time, intending this to be 10:10 Eastern time. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom. But I am not going back and changing all the 7:10 a.m. times. But I will run this note for a while. Mom, you know that I am posting at 10:10 a.m. often because this is the time of your death.

No comments: