Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Friday, May 13, 2016

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #311 - - Darwyn Cooke, RIP

Darwin Cooke Variant
for Teen Titans 05 - 2014
Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #311 - Darwyn Cooke, RIP

Hi Mom,

This year has been hit after hit after hit of people dying, important people, creative and amazing people. Did these flood gates open when you passed on? Would this have happened anyway? Are all these deaths happening to remind me of loss, of grieving, of coming to terms with what you meant to me and where to go from here, how to go on, how to build and rebuild my life and the lives of my family?

I started this entry after the announcement that Darwyn Cooke had entered Palliative Care for cancer and before I finished the entry, he had died.

One of my favorite artists has died. DARWYN COOKE lost his battle with cancer, as described on his blog, updated by his loved ones.

Like every comics fan in existence, I loved Darwyn Cooke's art. How could we not? This work is exceptional. It's a huge loss that there will never be any more of it.

I am also stunned as Darwyn is more or less the same age as I am.

Here's some links.

almost darwyn cooke's blog

DARWYN COOKE WIKI

Brutally Honest: Darwyn Cooke on how DC and Marvel must change (from 2010)

FROM MONKEY FIGHTING ROBOTS: Darwyn Cooke's five greatest comics

Darwyn Cooke before Parker and Watchmen

There's a Twitter hash tag, which is how I noticed what happened. I follow a lot of comic book people and I saw Twitter explode with the news. Don't know how long the Twitter flood will last but as of this morning posts are still coming in via #DarwynCooke.

I am going to let the art speak for itself, but first, I am copying an article verbatim from NEWSARAMA. Hey, there, I just gave credit.

The next reprinted from NEWSARAMA - CREATOR DARWYN COOKE PASSES AWAY


Creator Darwyn Cooke Passes Away

Date: 13 May 2016 Time: 09:32 AM ET
 8209 1954Reddit2Submit6




















































His family requests that fans who wish to honor Cooke send donations to The Hero Initiative  and The Canadian Cancer Society.
The full statement can be read here:
We regret to inform you that Darwyn lost his battle with cancer early this morning at 1:30 AM ET. We read all of your messages of support to him throughout the day yesterday. He was filled with your love and surrounded by friends and family at his home in Florida.
Donations can be made to the Canadian Cancer Society and Hero Initiative.
Please continue to respect our privacy as we go through this very difficult time.
A longer statement will come later today.
“Then we shall not be weary. Then we shall prevail.” -- John F. Kennedy’s New Frontier speech
Original Story: Marsha Cooke, the wife of fan-favorite comic book writer-artist Darwyn Cooke informed Cooke's fans Friday morning the creator is receiving palliative care following a bout with aggressive cancer. In a blog post entitled "f**k cancer, Cooke writes:
"It is with tremendous sadness that we announce Darwyn is now receiving palliative care following a bout with aggressive cancer. His brother Dennis and I, along with our families appreciate the outpouring of support we have received. We ask for privacy as we go through this very difficult time. Urgent inquiries please contact David Hyde.
Marsha
Darwyn Cooke's The New Frontier
Darwyn Cooke's The New Frontier
CREDIT: DC Comics
Cooke is best known in comic books as the writer/artist ofDC: The New Frontier and the adaptations of the Richard Stark Parker novels. Cooke is responsible (along with Ed Brubaker) in redesigning DC's Catwoman character in 2001, with a costume design that stands unto this day. In addition to comic books, Cooke worked extensively in animation ranging from Batman: The Animated SeriesSuperman: The Animated Series and animating the main title design forBatman Beyond. In 2006, Warner Bros. Animation adaptedNew Frontier as a full-length animated film which Cooke co-wrote and art directed.
Cooke illustrated the recent DC/Vertigo series Twilight Children, and had been announced as working on his first creator-owned series, titled Revengeance, for Image Comics.
Newsarama will update with more information as the family releases it.





+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

DARWYN COOKE'S ART

By no means is this a definitive collection, and many images are from the 2014 set of variant covers for DC titles, which are some of his last work. But this is all beautiful stuff and I am unleashing all of it on my blog.








































+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 313 days ago


- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1605.13 - 10:10


NOTE on time: When I post late, I had been posting at 7:10 a.m. because Google is on Pacific Time, and so this is really 10:10 EDT. However, it still shows up on the blog in Pacific time. So, I am going to start posting at 10:10 a.m. Pacific time, intending this to be 10:10 Eastern time. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom. But I am not going back and changing all the 7:10 a.m. times. But I will run this note for a while. Mom, you know that I am posting at 10:10 a.m. often because this is the time of your death.

No comments: