Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Monday, July 22, 2019

A Sense of Doubt blog post #1614 - So What - Musical Monday 1907.22

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/music_box/2009/08/kind_of_blue.html
A Sense of Doubt blog post #1614 - So What - Musical Monday 1907.22

I am trying to embrace my original model of the HEY MOM years: short posts. So, here's just one song, one video, and no huge post.

Also, I was motivated by the fact that I am not done with any of the larger mixes I have been working on and I have some collections of ambient music, but I have filled in with that route a few times in the last two months. Better to spread out those posts. Also, I did the one song thing last week, but it was a song that came to my attention in the previous week. I had no song as an inspiration this time, so I looked in my archive of drafts and Eureka! Here's the classic Miles Davis tune "So What".

I cannot remember how "So What" came to my attention. I know I was watching something, like a documentary, and it was the music, and I used Shazam to get the track name.

"So What" is the sound of a generation. Released as the first track of Kind of Blue in 1959, it's one of the greatest jazz songs of all time on not only one of the greatest jazz records but one of the best ALBUMS of all time. I agree. It is considered by many to be the best selling jazz record of all time.

Without overloading this post with details and copied text and photos, I am going to let the music speak for itself. The video is a treat as it's a film of a studio performance of the song.

Also, this is the perfect sound for today (more so for the cloudy day the day after the date of this post than the sunny day in the 80s that was Monday the 22nd.





MILES DAVIS OFFICIAL SITE

MILES DAVIS WIKIPEDIA

KIND OF BLUE ALBUM WIKIPEDIA

"So What" - According to legend, a woman told Miles Davis that she owned all his albums, and he replied "so what?" providing the name of the song.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1907.22 - 10:10

- Days ago = 1479 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: