Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Monday, July 23, 2018

A Sense of Doubt blog post #1249 - Dengue Fever and Khruangbin - Musical Monday for 1807.24

https://denguefevermusic.com/
A Sense of Doubt blog post #1249 - Dengue Fever and Khruangbin - Musical Monday for 1807.24

I know I spend a lot of content substance on how amazing the Internet is. I must also mention that now that I am in the same state as KEXP that there is greater resonance.

When it comes to music, I compare how I found out about new bands before the Internet existed to the ways the Internet helps me find out about new bands.

BEFORE THE INTERNET EXISTED, I found out about new bands first and foremost by word of mouth. All my first true loves, like David Bowie, Talking Heads, the Jam, the Clash, and so on came from one person who loved the band or the artist and usually made me sit down and listen to them. This method ranks above others not because more music came to me this way but because this was the most powerful recommendation system.

Browsing record stores ranks second because these businesses featured glittery, densely-packed displays of albums with cool cover art or names of artists that grabbed my attention. I found Peter Gabriel this way. I had no idea who he was, but I bought his first solo album purely on the strength of the album art. Soon after, I bought the third one, too. The first time I went to Wax Trax in Chicago (also this one - WIKI) was like scaling the stairs to heaven. I found Cabaret Voltaire, Neu, Can, Throbbing Gristle, Killing Joke, TuxedoMoon, the Residents among others with visits to this store, but I also found the bands produced by the Wax Trax label, such as Meat Beat Manifesto, Ministry, KMFDM, Front 242, and many others. Hey!!!! There's a Wax Trax documentary!!!!!!!! More on this next week.

Even the the commercial radio may have supplied me with some music, when I joined a college radio station as both a DJ and a manager (Station Manager, Music Director), I really felt like a huge landscape of music both new and old opened before me. Unlike record stores that rarely offered the means of allowing one to play the music one wanted to buy -- at least in Kalamazoo in the late '70s and early '80s -- the radio station featured a vast musical library and the means to play the music and then broadcast it.

Lastly, magazines provided reviews and news and even advertisements that gave me some recommendations for new music. I started reading Rolling Stone in the late 1970s. Though I did not become an avid reader of Trouser Press, the most famous of the fanzines. I didn't get into fanzine culture until the late 1980s and then, really, APAs (Amateur Press Associations) for comic books, but at least Rolling Stone kept reminding me of music I wanted to try out. Later, in the 1990s, I found two artists via reviews in Details magazine. I just decided to try them out, and Lori Carson and Beth Orton remain two of my favorite artists. I also discovered William Orbit this way as he produced the first Beth Orton album, Trailer Park.

Also, in the 1990s, I discovered British music magazines, which opened a whole new world for me of commentary, content, and suggestions for music. I am still an avid reader of many, such as Mojo and Uncut.

But now, the Internet supplies me so amazingly well. You Tube recommends videos and bands. I follow many artists on Bandcamp, and there's still radio or specific radio shows, often saved as podcasts, that broaden my horizons.

Is it just me or does there seem to be 1000 times more music these days than back in the 1970s or 1980s?

It seems to me that it is impossible to truly musically literate across all subgenres because there's just SO MUCH CONTENT.

I am always finding things I truly love.

Word of mouth still holds powerful sway over what I try. Given that Warren Ellis and I share musical tastes, his recommendations are often motivating, and I have featured much of the music found this way here on my blog (see link for newsletter).

These two bands for today's Musical Monday came to me from You Tube's Google-centric algorithm that identified that I might like both of them based on my other choices.

I do.

Presenting here Dengue Fever and Khruangbin.

If you haven't listened, you should.






Dengue Fever wiki

Dengue Fever
152 Dengue Fever (6763912845).jpg
Background information
OriginLos Angeles, California, U.S.
Genres
Years active2001–present
LabelsTUK TUK Records, M80 Music, Birdman, Real World
Websitewww.denguefevermusic.com
MembersChhom Nimol
Zac Holtzman
Ethan Holtzman
Senon Williams
David Ralicke
Paul Smith
Dengue Fever is an American band from Los Angeles who combine Cambodian rock and pop music of the 1960s and 70s with psychedelic rock and other world music styles.








http://www.brooklynvegan.com/khruangbin-the-mattson-2-played-music-hall-of-williamsburg-pics/

Khruangbin bandcamp

Khruangbin wiki


Khruangbin
OriginHouston Texas, United States
Genresinstrumental rockfunkneo-psychedeliapsychedelic rock
LabelsDead Oceans
Late Night Tales
Websitekhruangbin.com
Members
  • Laura Lee
  • Mark Speer
  • Donald Johnson
Khruangbin is an American musical trio from Houston, Texas, formed of Laura Lee on bass, Mark Speer on guitar, and Donald Ray "DJ" Johnson Jr. on drums.[1] The band is known for blending global music influences, classic souldub and psychedelia.[2] Their debut album, The Universe Smiles Upon You (2014), draws from the history of Thai music in the 1960s, while their second album, Con Todo El Mundo (2018), also has influences from Spain and the Middle East.[1] Speer, Lee, and DJ also host "Air Khruang" radio shows on NTS and Facebook Live.[3]













+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 1115 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1807.24 - 10:10

NEW (written 1708.27) NOTE on time: I am now in the same time zone as Google! So, when I post at 10:10 a.m. PDT to coincide with the time of your death, Mom, I am now actually posting late, so it's really 1:10 p.m. EDT. But I will continue to use the time stamp of 10:10 a.m. to remember the time of your death, Mom. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom.

No comments: