Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Sunday, July 15, 2018

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #1099 - Satchel Does Chickens - Hey Mom reprint



Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #1099 - Satchel Does Chickens - Hey Mom reprint

Hi Mom,

Back to a reprint, chosen somewhat at random.

I went with this one because I am sure Satchel misses "doing chickens" because we do not have chickens in our new home in Woodland, WA.

Here's the reprint without much preamble by me, but with two extra photos.

via Liesel - 1804.17
from - http://sensedoubt.blogspot.com/2015/11/hey-mom-talking-to-my-mother-131.html


Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #131 - Satchel does chickens

Hi Mom,

Time again to have a puppy on this blog.

Knowing Satchel as I do, this is a great picture of her as she is telling me: "Dad, it's time to do chickens."

"Doing chickens" means that she gets in to the side yard, which is currently closed to her. In the morning, we let the chickens out sometime between 8 and 10 a.m.

Satchel runs full tilt to the gate to the side yard and then sprints for the back fence, checking all her spots. She has not responsibility in the morning when we let the chickens out of the coop to roam, and she has more time to explore and sniff her spots if I have to change their water and/or food.

At night, we put the chickens away. Sometimes, we time it right, and the chickens are already in the hen house. But if they are still in the yard, Satchel gets to wrangle them, shooing them back to the coop.

Recently, some chickens did not wish to be shooed, hunkering down in bushes next to the fence far from the coop. There was a terrifying ordeal of many minutes attempting to herd the chickens. I feared that Satchel intended to grab one in her jaws and carry it like a bad puppy to the coop. In the end, I carried one chicken back.

Satchel is a very good puppy. She does not try to hurt the chickens, though if she gets into the side yard during the middle of the day, she will chase them back to the coop anyway.

One thing that makes her extra excited is that she gets a treat each time her returns from the side yard both in letting out the chickens and putting them back in the coop, which is partly why her is so excited. This is how we talk about her. We just use "her" for everything.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
- Days ago = 133 days ago
- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1511.14 - 10:10
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you, Mom.

I miss you so very much, Mom.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 1107 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1807.15 - 10:10

NEW (written 1708.27) NOTE on time: I am now in the same time zone as Google! So, when I post at 10:10 a.m. PDT to coincide with the time of your death, Mom, I am now actually posting late, so it's really 1:10 p.m. EDT. But I will continue to use the time stamp of 10:10 a.m. to remember the time of your death, Mom. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom.

Satchel - caring for Dad when he's ill - 1803.03

No comments: